• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Just a quick glow plug light question

BigWheelBob

Hi, thanks in advance for the help. I am not an electrical whiz and am not grasping this problem. My glow plugs have always worked perfect. I even installed a new set last year. Anyway lately my wait light, water in the fuel light and volt meter and gen2 light have not been working. I have power on both sides of the fuse, but none at the light bulbs. During one of the diagnostics I was doing I unplugged the gp card, and all of the lights started working. I went to another truck that I was fairly sure all worked and plugged in that card and same problem. Any thoughts?

MarcusOReallyus

Um, the card is bad?

Contact member antennaclimber. He sells new cards, and by all accounts, they are better than the originals.

BigWheelBob

I'm not 100% on the card being bad. As I said, I borrowed one from a truck that I drove in the past that the glow plugs worked on and it did the same thing. Are you sure? I just hate to throw parts at it hoping it will fix it. Have you seen these same symptoms in the past?

sneekyeye

You may have a bad ground connection somewhere causing the glow plug controller to back feed 12v . Your wait light should have a constant 12v at the bulb and the glow plug controller grounds the circuit. I don't have the diagrams on my phone, but you can unplug I think it's a five or six pin connector under the steering column and ground one of the wires to manually light the wait light. That will at least tell you if your bulb, socket and assorted wiring is good on the supply side.
The ground circuit for the cab wiring is pretty flaky, I'd check it and clean it. It should be high up on the driver kick panel. With any luck, that might fix your problem.
Let's just ramble on a bit, and I'd also suggest that perhaps all three bulbs are fed by the same 12v trace on the back of the instrument cluster, and maybe unplugging the main plug and plugging it back in will cure your ills.
Perhaps

antennaclimber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The common element to all of the non functioning items is Fuse #15. Check to see if it is making good contact with the slots that it fits in. The fuse could be good but is not making a good connection in the fuse box. Try replacing the fuse, it may be intermittant.

Attachments

BigWheelBob

I found the problem. Yesterday the glow light, gen2 light, and volt gauge started working again. This morning everything but the gp light worked. The glow plugs were how ever working the whole time. Then today everything quit again so I started looking at all the connections that might tie these together. I found this plug just to the left of the column and pulled it apart and plugged it back in a few times and instantly all is good. Now I even changed the card back out to the original one and it is working great. For now I will add some dielectric grease to the plug and see how it goes.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks