• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Just a rant and some info

JDToumanian

I was talking about this to a buddy of mine here in San Diego who happens to be a lawyer and I told him I was invited to show my stuff at the air show
I showed my deuce at the air show, and the issue of liability crossed my mind.... It took vigilance to keep the kids in check, and we learned some lessons for next year, but I wasn't too worried. "You can't get blood from a turnip." .....Suing me would be pointless. Besides, you should have seen the way the kids crawled all over the 7.5-ton Oshkosh the USMC had on display.... I was WAY more cautious that that!

Jon

Attachments

srodocker

I've had both a bad and good experience. i've taken mine to multiple shows now thats its decent looking.

the bad experience was when i was at a car show in our small town. its a military town so any event has some sort of military display recruiting or what not. anywho i was walking around the truck answering questions and listening to some stories as i was finishing up talking to a vet i walk past my gf who is starting at a guy sitting in the driver seat. *i leave my driver door open for people to get a peak inside if im standing around* as i walk around to the driver side a guy is grabbing the shifter and going to town bouncing in my seat and "turning* the wheel. i asked "what are you doing?" he asked if it was mine and i responded yes. he said "**** i thought it was fort lewis truck" before i got to ask him if that made a difference he brushed passed hitting my shoulder and walked very fast away...my dad came up and i told him what happen my dad responded with "what a ******* idiot*

good experience was when i was at another show, again talking to some more vets a family with 2 young boys came up and i can tell they just wanted to sit it in. after i excused myself i asked them if they would like to sit inside. and they both screamed "YES" and the parents nodded in agreement. let them take there pics. and they both said they wanted to be military and asked tons of questions about where it came from and all that. then they both asked if they can go to the back and take pics. i let them and the parents thanked me for letting them do that and they cant wait to show the classroom the pictures.

so i'll still go to shows but i plan on to be at my truck at all times or have someone there....

rz14rt

Keys

This thread has convinced me to at least install a keyed starter switch. These are easy to hotwire, yes, but anyone who does so will come off as a much more culpable in court than one who "innocently" pushes the attractive red button. I then think about the battery disconnect schemes on other threads for theft provention. A sad commentay.

stumps

After you finish your trip, open your air tanks to bleed the water, and pressure. Put the transfer case in neutral. With the accessory switch off, the red starter button will do nothing. If they turn the accessory switch on, the air buzzer will do its thing, and act as an alarm.

-Chuck

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My truck is rusty. To combat the rust and give the truck a shiny appearance, I douse it with gear oil before every outing. Just pour it on, move it about and let it drip off. I've never found anyone climbing around in the truck. Few have grabbed it but hastily walk away.

themadride

My truck is rusty. To combat the rust and give the truck a shiny appearance, I douse it with gear oil before every outing. Just pour it on, move it about and let it drip off. I've never found anyone climbing around in the truck. Few have grabbed it but hastily walk away.

I was thinking along those lines. I was wondering if a simple "WET PAINT" sign would discourage those types of people.

panshark

might face a different beast with a slip-and-fall complaint. Nevermind the "why were you standing on the front fender in the first place" question.

stumps

Yeah, but all that oil picks up sand and grit like there is no tomorrow.

And the guy that slips while walking on the fender is very likely to be you.

-Chuck

azM35a2

i had my porsche at a show once and people were trying to climb in it...i yelled...quickly spread that i was an ******....no one touched my car again. car shows in phoenix are a joke however, this one had new corvettes in it..those guys were so proud, i just laughed at them, when they asked why i simply said any a-hole can go to a dealer and buy a new corvette. they didn't like my attitude either. there were stock dodge chargers, i mean come on...be a little selective, a car show should have unique, and/or modified items, it shouldn't look like a dealership car lot

mojeeper

i had my porsche at a show once and people were trying to climb in it...i yelled...quickly spread that i was an ******....no one touched my car again. car shows in phoenix are a joke however, this one had new corvettes in it..those guys were so proud, i just laughed at them, when they asked why i simply said any a-hole can go to a dealer and buy a new corvette. they didn't like my attitude either. there were stock dodge chargers, i mean come on...be a little selective, a car show should have unique, and/or modified items, it shouldn't look like a dealership car lot

:ditto:

pwrwagonfire

We've taken our vehicles to many shows and had just the opposite expierence. A lot of parents will ask if their kid can sit in the truck or climb inside to have their picture taken. However, we were always around and would have corrected the kids if they had started climbing all over. Maybe there is a difference between California and Texas!
I've (thankfully) only had this experience...I guess a couple guys in green uniforms with state badges probably do the trick...I usually OFFER to let the little kid sit in the drivers seat if the parents want a picture, or they seem especially crazy about looking at a firetruck!

Thats nuts some of the experiences you guys have had!

bguy193

I had my Deuce at a car a couple months back and had a hard time keeping kids ,and their parents, off the truck. I finally lost my patience when an older child was hanging off of the mirror bracket while his clueless mother was snapping a picture of it. I asked his mother what she was doing and informed her that the truck was not a jungle gym. I went on and explained some basic car show etiquette to her which made her angry. I enjoy alowing kids into the truck for pictures when they or their parents ask. But I can't blame the kids that don't because it is their parents that hve no manners.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks