• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

just a thought on air ride suspension

robert william

I have seen and read thread on using air ride suspension on the rear of a deuce.(from a semi truck) Do you think using the same set up on the front for a full air ride would work? Would there be room for the location bars? Is there enough travel in the suspension to work?

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some of the newer civilian trucks are coming out with front air ride. The system they use are quite a bid different from the rear.

Just keep in mind if you go rear air ride on a tandem deuce, you suspension travel will be far less than stock.

quickfarms

I have thought about a suspension that was like the Hendrix walking beam but the pivot point was actually a hinge point and there was an airbag on each side this way you would have both the travel and air ride.

1987notchback

i am very interested in this idea on a bobbed duece when i actually get/build one. my main interest would be to be able to lower it as low as possible when parked while loading the bed. a better ride would be great to. i would like it low to load things such as yard waste and my motorcycle. mike

Bcurtman

I have air ride on the rear of mine. Its pretty cool to drop the back of the truck 6-8" when you want to. I think you could run a suspension like I have on a tandem rear with one facing frontward and one in the traditional backward position. Your axles may end up a bit farther apart. As far as putting a rear air ride on the front, it looks to me like one limitation may be the amount of frame in front of the axle-I'd have to measure. Track bar-oil pan clearance issues will be another issue-if your suspension requires a track bar. There are a variety of air ride setups out there, and the one Im using is more out of easy availability than my first choice. Theres one on here with a Freightliner setup that looks ideal to me.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have thought about a suspension that was like the Hendrix walking beam but the pivot point was actually a hinge point and there was an airbag on each side this way you would have both the travel and air ride.
Hendrickson does make a air ride based on their old "walking beam" type suspension. It gives you the articulation similar to the stock setup but the better ride air offers. It's pretty pricy though.