• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Just bartered for a trailer, please help!

krusty85

Good afternoon, this is my first military style trailer and I am having an issue with identifying the exact type or model that it is. The data plate looks to have never been stamped so I cannot go off of that, unless someone else has an idea of the markings that are on there. Any information would be helpful as I am looking into changing the tires and or axle to accommodate my needs and for it to fit my Jeep. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
M101A2 has a General Motors 8-bolt pattern. The A1 has the M37 5-bolt.

Easier to get spares for the A2. I just went to a junkyard up the stree and got a wheel and tire for mine. Like $35.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I sold one to a coworker for hauling firewood and he has loaded it so full the rubber bumpers underneath touched the frame. BTW i'm guessing it was well over 3klbs.

krusty85

M101A2 has a General Motors 8-bolt pattern. The A1 has the M37 5-bolt.

Easier to get spares for the A2. I just went to a junkyard up the stree and got a wheel and tire for mine. Like $35.
So any GM 8 bolt wheel should fit? I don't want fancy, just looking to lower it a bit so it doesn't sit as high as it does right now. Looks a bit goofy and not fun to drive.

Attachments

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The A2 wheels will not work on your trailer as-is and if you want it to tow level then flip the lunette and add an adjustable pintle.

krusty85

The lunette has been flipped, so a set of GM 8 lug would not work as it sits? Sorry for all the questions, I don't know much about these military type trailers.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, if your picture is correct then 8-lug wheels won't fit you 5-lug hubs. You answer is now, you can't just swap wheels. You could get a new axle from eTrailer and massage it under there.

About the tongue, here is a pic of my M1102 I just got last month. Obviously my other pintle is still in the barn. :)

Trailer-Pic.jpg

krusty85

Well, if your picture is correct then 8-lug wheels won't fit you 5-lug hubs. You answer is now, you can't just swap wheels. You could get a new axle from eTrailer and massage it under there.

About the tongue, here is a pic of my M1102 I just got last month. Obviously my other pintle is still in the barn. :)

View attachment 919834
I gotcha, for some reason my brain wasn't working and I thought that they were 8 lug, then I looked back at my picture. Well this should be fun, I'll have to see what specs I need for the new axle and look into E-trailer.

Csm Davis

I would suggest getting a new axle with your jeep wheel lug pattern and maybe mount it over the springs like older jeep axles were mounted. That should bring it way down. Also on the wheel issue those on your trailer now are hard to find combat wheels $$ unless you feel generous and donate them to the WW2 museum.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can help facilitate any donation to the National WWII museum as I am in New Orleans. They have at least 2 dodge power wagons or predecessors of the era. I don't recall the model numbers offhand....

Those rims could be original. Not sure if the original m101 had combat wheels?

You have a M101 which is even earlier than the M101a1. What are the 2 brackets on the wheel wells on the the inside of the bed? Pic?

krusty85

I can help facilitate any donation to the National WWII museum as I am in New Orleans. They have at least 2 dodge power wagons or predecessors of the era. I don't recall the model numbers offhand....

Those rims could be original. Not sure if the original m101 had combat wheels?

You have a M101 which is even earlier than the M101a1. What are the 2 brackets on the wheel wells on the the inside of the bed? Pic?
From what I know, they were utilized for a bike rack system. It was used as a kayak/bike trailer.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks