• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Just bought a 1990 M923A2

Gu3

Here is my 1990 M923A2 cargo. It has 1975 documented miles. Government sold it Oct 2013 and it sat in front of a surplus store since, until someone tried to steel it but it was chained and the parking brakes were on so it broke the input shaft on the transfer case and they fled. Owner said heck with it and sold it to me. I just picked it up in Las Vegas NV loaded it on my flatbed trailer and pulled it up to 8800 feet elevation at home in northern NM with my LBZ Duramax. Pulled into the scales to check weight, and totaled 37,120 lbs truck, trailer and pickup, Ouch!! God blessed me, and I made it just fine! All the tools, bags, slave cables, fire ext. maintenance Manual were still locked in the storage boxes and wrapped in plastic, unbelievable! Its like new except for the one shaft. They even shipped it to Kansas in 2008 and had it rhino lined under the cab as part of a preventative maintenance program. Our government taxes at work!!!! Guess I can't complain to much though, with what I was blessed with!

This is going to be my get out of the snow rig. We get 4 feet of snow every winter, and I get tired of plowing 7.3 miles of road with my backhoe, just to have it drift back over the next day. I sold my Deuce and a half which did ok, but this 5 ton should get the job done with ease.:lol:

(4).jpg(5).jpg(7).jpg(17).jpgSAM_0008.jpg

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That Kansas tag doesn't mean they rhino lined under the cab as preventive maintenance.

When trucks went through Kansas Readiness they got that rustproofing tag. But that's the least of what they did. Kansas was an RSMS site. At a cost of $65,000 per truck the trucks were stripped to the frame and reset to as-new... Kansas RSMS trucks are the best examples I've seen......

TNriverjet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I believe I saw that one on the big auction site a few weeks back. The location of sale, damage and story about theft lines up with what I read in a listing. I'm glad someone got a good truck for a good price! You were blessed!

Gu3

That Kansas tag doesn't mean they rhino lined under the cab as preventive maintenance.

When trucks went through Kansas Readiness they got that rustproofing tag. But that's the least of what they did. Kansas was an RSMS site. At a cost of $65,000 per truck the trucks were stripped to the frame and reset to as-new... Kansas RSMS trucks are the best examples I've seen......

Your right! I looked thru the paper work and found this charge for $67, 000. Thanks for the info, I would never had guessed it. But it does explain why it looks like new! The seller told me that it had been completely restored in 08, so you just verified that for me, Thanks. I would be interested in knowing what all they did to it.
SAM_0008 (1).jpgSAM_0009.jpg

Attachments

Gu3

I believe I saw that one on the big auction site a few weeks back. The location of sale, damage and story about theft lines up with what I read in a listing. I'm glad someone got a good truck for a good price! You were blessed!
Yes it was on there a few weeks ago, and no one bought it, so he relisted it at half the price with only a buy it now, and I came across it with just a couple hours to go in the listing. He is a really good guy, (Mad Man Army Surplus)

drivebymashing

I saw it on ebay. He had it listed for like xxxx I offered back and fourth got to xxxx. He said no it didnt sell then he relisted for for one dollar less than i offered. Great buy for what looks like a great truck. I cant believe that little pickup truck pulled that monster!!

Gu3

Yeah, I think he actually had it listed multiple times starting at 8k. I am just tickled with it, and very blessed to get it. I was way over the towing rating with my 3/4 ton, and also on the trailer, but I just babied it on the up grades keeping the RPM's at around 2k and shifted the Alison manually. Thanks for commenting.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Pickups will pull em all day long. Stopping it is a different story. They pull well behind a 3/4 or 1 ton. Especially loaded backwards. my 85' F250 used to pull my M61 around all day long. It just didn't like it facing forwards. Get that weight off the truck.

Did you break the input shaft in the transfer case or the jackshaft from the transmission to the transfer case?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor

I am about to scrape the underside of my truck cab tomorrow and break out the gallon of lizard skin and see if I can get my cab a little cooler.

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You will like the truck, I got my 936A2 fresh out of Kansas rebuild(after sitting for 5 years in an equipment yard at Riley) they do good work there.

Gu3

Most law enforcement are not trained nor have the equipment to check weights. And most of those who are, seem to be more interested in commercial. Now that I know the actual weight, I would not do it again.

Bucho

Here is my 1990 M923A2 cargo. It has 1975 documented miles. Government sold it Oct 2013 and it sat in front of a surplus store since, until someone tried to steel it but it was chained and the parking brakes were on so it broke the input shaft on the transfer case and they fled. Owner said heck with it and sold it to me. I just picked it up in Las Vegas NV loaded it on my flatbed trailer and pulled it up to 8800 feet elevation at home in northern NM with my LBZ Duramax. Pulled into the scales to check weight, and totaled 37,120 lbs truck, trailer and pickup, Ouch!! God blessed me, and I made it just fine! All the tools, bags, slave cables, fire ext. maintenance Manual were still locked in the storage boxes and wrapped in plastic, unbelievable! Its like new except for the one shaft. They even shipped it to Kansas in 2008 and had it rhino lined under the cab as part of a preventative maintenance program. Our government taxes at work!!!! Guess I can't complain to much though, with what I was blessed with!

This is going to be my get out of the snow rig. We get 4 feet of snow every winter, and I get tired of plowing 7.3 miles of road with my backhoe, just to have it drift back over the next day. I sold my Deuce and a half which did ok, but this 5 ton should get the job done with ease.:lol:

View attachment 634961View attachment 634962View attachment 634963View attachment 634964View attachment 634968
Funny, I passed you on Thursday night between Grants and Albuquerque. I thought to myself, lots of weight. I was wondering where that came out of. Glad you made it. I won't criticize about what you did. I think everyone of us have traveled over loaded, otherwise I bet you never ran over a scale and know exactly what your truck and trailer is really weighted for. Have fun.

Gu3

Funny, I passed you on Thursday night between Grants and Albuquerque. I thought to myself, lots of weight. I was wondering where that came out of. Glad you made it. I won't criticize about what you did. I think everyone of us have traveled over loaded, otherwise I bet you never ran over a scale and know exactly what your truck and trailer is really weighted for. Have fun.
Yep, that was likely us. and your right, I have never checked empty weight, but am more curious now. Thanks!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks