• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Just bought a M1009, looking for some advice

lindsaym

I moved to Alaska and purchased a CUC-V for weekend fun in the mountains. I'm not much of a car-guy, but I'm determined to learn this vehicle so I can maintain it all on my own. I've downloaded the TM's, but does anyone know of a link that has a walkthrough for changing all the various fluids? Also, what problems or warning signs should I be on the lookout for? It doesn't have a lot of mileage on it (just under 50k), but I know vehicles don't get this old without things going wrong. Thanks for any help you guys can give me!

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome.

did you download the Lube Order? While it doesn't tell you how to change the fluids it does tell you how much, what type and where everything is.

the TM 9-2320-289-20 manual has a step by step for most of the fluids. Some things they just assume should know. A Haynes or Chilton manual for a regular pickup may be a good investment.

read all the stickies and the CUCV wiki. Those will answer a lot of your questions.

donalloy1

I moved to Alaska and purchased a CUC-V for weekend fun in the mountains. I'm not much of a car-guy, but I'm determined to learn this vehicle so I can maintain it all on my own. I've downloaded the TM's, but does anyone know of a link that has a walkthrough for changing all the various fluids? Also, what problems or warning signs should I be on the lookout for? It doesn't have a lot of mileage on it (just under 50k), but I know vehicles don't get this old without things going wrong. Thanks for any help you guys can give me!
lindsaym, this site is a wealth of information. The Doghead Mods are a MUST in my opinion. The other's I would proceed with caution. Take time to check out pros and cons before pulling trigger.

I try to at least spend a couple hours a week going through CUCV Forum in detail. The payoff for me has been huge.

Welcome aboard, DMLII sends

lindsaym

Thanks guys. I think my first order of business will be to tighten up the fuel guage. It sometimes bounces around nearly a quarter of a tank. Kind of hard to get a good idea of what I'm seeing for gas mileage.

MarcusOReallyus

It sometimes bounces around nearly a quarter of a tank. Kind of hard to get a good idea of what I'm seeing for gas mileage.
You cannot determine gas mileage from the gauge. It's nowhere near accurate enough. Miles traveled (from an accurate odometer) divided by actual fuel pumped in (from the meter on the pump) is the ONLY accurate way to tell (unless you have a fancy comnpuyterized car that calculates it automatically).

If you are guessing at fuel economy from the gauge, you really don't know what you have. You are only fooling yourself.

Agree on the doghead mod. Also the GP resister bypass. Those two mods correct two different disasters waiting to happen.

:beer:

dstang97

Thats just how old trucks are. The more you bounce around the more the gauge goes. One thing you might want to try is to go on youtube and watch other people do the repairs or show you how to do it. Or google.

hodgeb

Count yourself lucky that the first vehicle you bought with the intention of doing your own wrenching is a thoroughly documented Chevy truck with an avid following! I made the mistake of picking something somewhat less... accessible (a full size van).

Durango_USMC

You may want to look into some of the other modifications specifically for cold weather. Some of the various heaters for the engine, batteries, and fuel if I remember correctly. But you definitely picked a good truck to start with.

erniemigi

If it's Rubber Replace it, If it's Electrical Clean it, as old as these things are it's best to check all of that stuff, also go around and check every bolt and nut as these things have a tendency to rattle themselves loose, i found out the hard way when the bolts that hold the pulley on my power steering pump all came out

Last edited:

MLuper7

Congrats on buying a CUCV. I've had mine for almost 2 years now as my daily driver and I am an Alaskan as well. I'm running Rotella 15W-40 and I have a heater pad on both oil pans. It's a must for when it gets cold out unless you have the Arctic Heater System. If you have converted it to a 12V system I recommend a starter for a 6.5L for a '97 chevy. It really spins that motor faster and it bolts right up and is fairly inexpensive. Also I recommend staying away from Jim Creek if you don't always want to be changing fluids and seals. The glacial silt there is really hard on your rig.

MLuper7

Congrats on buying a CUCV. I've had mine for almost 2 years now as my daily driver and I am an Alaskan as well. I'm running Rotella 15W-40 and I have a heater pad on both oil pans. It's a must for when it gets cold out unless you have the Arctic Heater System. If you have converted it to a 12V system I recommend a starter for a 6.5L for a '97 chevy. It really spins that motor faster and it bolts right up and is fairly inexpensive. Also I recommend staying away from Jim Creek if you don't always want to be changing fluids and seals. The glacial silt there is really hard on your rig.