• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Just bought a M1010 Ambulance

Depthproof

I straight traded my Ural Italia for this M1010 Ambulance last weekend. Totally stoked that we were actually able to drive her back from Tallahassee all the way to my house in Orlando. When we picked her up, she was COVERED in algae, tires were completely dry rotted, rear brake line was leaking (class 3), and there was fuel leaking from the return line (class 3). So after a white knuckled drive to Pep Boys and about $800 in parts and tires, she was ready to roll. We couldn't believe it, after the repairs she rolled 75-85 MPH all day long! I mean really felt like driving a new vehicle. She does have a few issues that I need to take care of, but overall frigging Amazing! I definitely need a new front battery shelf, and there are some electrical ground shorts to track down. for some reason, im not getting power to the A/C, heater, and the overhead light back in the box. Overall, cant complain!

Attachments

good score, and welcome to the 1010 squad !! kinda curious how you were able to do 75-85mph... did someone swap gear ratios? it appears to be near-stock tire size... if tires and gears are stock, i dont suggest trying for that kinda speed, if you want to reliably enjoy your truck awhile... the 6.2 wont be happy...

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
kinda curious how you were able to do 75-85mph... did someone swap gear ratios? it appears to be near-stock tire size... if tires and gears are stock, i dont suggest trying for that kinda speed, if you want to reliably enjoy your truck awhile... the 6.2 wont be happy...
Looks like there have been some mods to it (all the seat belts in the back) so there might be some mechanical changes as well. If not, I agree with cyco, the 6.2 with stock 1010 axles is happiest (and healthiest) under 60mph.

Depthproof

Credit where credit is due

It was actually my buddy driving, I was following in the Honda. One too many redbulls for sure, but we had passed the 24 hour "no sleep" mark by that point and were ready to get home. Both our speedometers were reading the same. I have tried it too, and she will do it, but definitely its way too fast. I highly doubt anything has been upgraded/swapped on her. I think it was a prison/trustee transport at some time??? The original paint was covered over by white, then last owner did a camo on it. I just sprayed her with the camo paint from walmart and actually love the color! rock solid truck, unfortunately just stripped naked and left to rot. Well she's back now with a vengeance! Pretty much like Herbie!

what are your plans for the old girl? they make great offroad campers ! even in stock trim with BFG Trails Edge tires mine has gotten me more places than i ever thought she would... places i may have second guessed taking my 92 Bronco(also ex-govt, 4.11, 5.8L, and factory rollbar, former CA truck, Fish and Game, i believe)... either way, enjoy it. they are great trucks, and a hobby full of great people!!

Gralmk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great score@ Congratulations, I'm hoping to get one soon as well, looking forward to owning one! Enjoy!