• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Just bought a MTV M1094 LVAD

DSD277

PCRUZ,
Give yourself a raise! Your post and pic are worth 384 cents . 2cents x 192:beer:
That is the first pic of a 6x6 War Pig I’ve seen!
It’s obvious that the War Pigs are bases off M1081s and now confirmed, M1093s
The 6x6 War Pig build really makes it easier, the cab of the M1094 and M1093 are the same, and the whole idea of making a War Pig is that the seller told me that there is a lot of damage to the cab, mostly above the waistline, and since the only thing I need there is a windshield for the street.
The only need I had for a new cab was for a solid cab for a Camper build, so I am sitting pretty for the War Pig. The need now would be for a cargo bed, to get rid of the 3000+ lbs of dead weight of the dump bed instead of cutting off the sides of the dump bed.

Bikeman,
I didn’t see any indication of the truck being rolled….possibility a hard landing where the folding cab parts weren’t properly secured… but you sure are next door to the truck now…. You’re only 120ish miles from it…. Much closer than my 2600 :lol:

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
DSD,

The initial pics from the site, IIRC, indicated the spare tire assembly was also bent. I don't think it was rolled in the traditional sense of driving down the road and rolled over. I think it was just a gradual roll into soft dirt (IE a drop zone).

If you send me the serial number, I can check and see who owned it and see if I can't find out what actually happened.

On a side note, I've never seen "War Pig" pictures, those things are AWESOME!

DSD277

Well when I won the truck, I wasn't in any hurry to get it, and was more interested in what kind of build would be practical. With the pic and posts this morning, I'm getting anxious to see it. Though not original, I think the 6x6 War Pig build will be the route (much better than pulling an axle and cut the frame), barring the truck isn't worse off than expected.

When I get more pics of the truck, I'll post them....should be in the next day or two
:beer:

DSD277

Uncanny resemblance to each other.
At a glance, can you tell which is the Pinzgauer 718, and which is the MTV ?
Hint, the MTV is 6 ft longer and 3x the weight. :lol:

Attachments

Last edited:

DSD277

It’s been a few weeks since I’ve posted any updates. There are a few more pics in the photobucket link above. Mostly of the undercarriage, and a few of the stuff in the dump bed.

Though I wish it wasn’t, Bikeman was on the nose with the rollover. Pics from underneath shows a bent tierod and a disconnected front driveshaft ( probably because the tierod hit and it wouldn’t let it steer ).
Pete didn’t see any type of structural damage. We are both curious to the 2x6 wood blocking tied to the frame? For palletizing for air drop? Or for forklifting the truck around after the rollover?:-?
I got a set of manuals a couple weeks back on CD(s) for the LMTV and the MTV…. Just a little light reading…only 15668 pages for the MTVs:roll:. I should have real good handle on things by the time it gets out here…. If I don’t go blind, or my eyes cross first.
Though I’m still thinking on the build, y’all will be happy to know it will not be bobbed…. I still favor the War Pig, but it will probably stay a dump until I can find a MTV bed for it ( I think the bed is the only part of the body that doesn’t need work:lol:). .
The pics of the roof seem to show it in sad shape, but if I decide to refurbish it, at least I can do it on a table, same with all the cab folding pieces…. I bet the LVAD cab pieces wiil be hens teeth as far as replacement parts.

Hopefully, I'll have some new pics within the next week... I need my fix until it arrives:drool:

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I hate to say I told you so, but I (guitar chords) told you so!

Have your guy give me a better pic of the wood and I'll run it past the riggers to see if it's part of their process. pretty sure it's not part of the HMMWV process, that's mostly cardboard, but I don't know about the larger trucks. They have some pretty big springs, so might be something to work around issues during impact.

DSD277

Welllllll, it wasn't a complete summersault :mrgreen:
I'll add your request for the next photo set
And maybe with a few relays and circuit breakers, Frankenstein's monster will move :)

DSD277

Well, the truck is on it's way! :jumpin:
Received some pics of it and a bobbed 5T loaded on a flatbed.
I'm not going to say the M1094 is heavy, but speaking to the driver today, he had to cancel picking up 2 motorcycles on the way..... and well, let's say he can't fill his go-juice tanks completely, either .:rolleyes::lol:

The pic from the left side shows more damage to the cab than I previously anticipated, but nothing that has me concerned... a few more days, and I'll get the full impact when it's in front of me.:D

Attachments

Pete didn’t see any type of structural damage. We are both curious to the 2x6 wood blocking tied to the frame? For palletizing for air drop? Or for forklifting the truck around after the rollover?:-?
arrives:drool:
If my memory serves me correct the 2x6's are for palletizing the truck prior to an airdrop. (I was in the 618th (LE)(ABN) Eng Co. 82nd ABN DIV for 6 Months back in 2002). I used to have a picture of a dump and front loader that burned in, I will try and find and post them. Have fun with it.

DSD277

Well, after 2 months in the waiting, it arrived over the weekend.:beer:
After getting to see it in person, it definately needs more body work than can be seen in any of the pics... can't say I'm upset because I had planned for the worse on the cab... and this is still far better than that ( excellent War Pig candidate), but will be looking for another LVAD cab. I still would like the option of a "clean" complete folding cab, that I would modify the folding sides hinge pins to be readily removeable.
I had seen in pics the right rear side rail of the dump bed was bent in, and with it here, found the tailgate has a bow in it too. I am still planning to replace the dumpbed and subframe with a cargo bed, but until then, I'd like to get it back into shape.

The truck doesn't look to have been "vandalized" for parts other than all the relays and most of the circuit breakers, something was removed from the air brakes to in-op them ( maybe a T fitting? but I think all the items removed were to make sure no one tried to drive it).

I want to thank Will Wagner for coming down and getting the air brakes up and working enough to get the truck safely off the flatbed and into the museum's ground. And to Craig at the American Military Museum (tankland.com) where the build will be done, and the truck put on long term display

Airbornebandsman, The blocking on the rear is bolted to the truck, just in front of the mid axle, as if for rigging, but the blocking in the front is tied to the top of the springs, below the frame on both sides.

It'll probably be after the 4th before any serious work will be done, and the truck is in the shop. Until then, I'll be tinkering with the electrics to check that nothings afoul and and look for other obvious "vacancies" where parts once dwelled.:lol:

Last edited:

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks good... Still not so sure on the wood in the 4th pic, but 5th pic definitely looks like rigger style.

DSD277

I started an album for the truck's arrival in SoCal

I would call it " The Good, the Bad and the Ugly".. but most of it is the 2 later.
Just snapshots of different points I wanted to remind myself to address, or reference for the future
I'll be adding to this album until a new chapter starts in the build.:wink:

M1094 Arrival in SoCal pictures by dsd277 - Photobucket

"Flinging " upper body parts would appear to be the main culprit for the lower body damage, other than the right fender and the cab corner pushed in.
Amazingly, besides the windshields, the rolldown door glass were the only casualties, but none of those are a problem for me to make... bigger problem will be getting the upper and lower door parts aligned to not break the new rolldown glass:whistle:

DSD277

This last Saturday was a pivitol day, an earnest attempt was made to start the truck from the cab. Initial attempts did nothing, and when checking the power flow with a test light, the engine jumped to life.:mrgreen: The light completed the circuit after the auxiliary starter relay. Our thoughts are that the starter thermal switch is broken or a broken lead to ground. Next test was the WT and see if it'll move. Since the tierod was bent and the front U-joint had been disconnected at the diff so it would steer, care had to be taken with engaging the trans and not have a flailing prop shaft :whistle:. First attempt sent all the power to the front shaft (and with a nice controlled spin:grin:), the mode selector was turned on to split the torque front and rear and 1st gear selected. This time the engine growled but failed to move...?..." Jim, did you release the parking brake?"...."ahh Krap!", and with that the truck moved forward... but when the service brakes were applied , the parking brake engaged...?.. ah well, just a minor problem... THE TRANS WORKS! that was what counted.:jumpin::mrgreen:
The next items were to (hopefully) straighten the tierod and install a new front U- joint to make the truck mobile... both went without a hitch. At this point, we couldn't get the parking brakes to release.. No biggy, we got all we had planned to do, plus some. :grin: So now it back to the TMs and follow the troubleshooting charts.... I'm guessing by the time I'm finished with the brakes, I'll have no problem with the air brake portion of the Class B licence. :lol::driver:( what's with the shifting?, I got pushbuttons!):p

And to show a bit of it's size, I've included a couple pics of it next to a Pinz

Attachments