• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Just bought a pioneer tool trailer, need help

djasinski

I jut bought a pioneer tool trailer, the newer kind that are longer. I have to go pick it up tomorrow. I am also picking up a mep-017 5kw generator at the same time at a different location.

Does anyone have any idea how I can get the generator into the trailer. I will not have access to any forklift/front end loader. I will be by myself, and only one person will be there from the selling agency who will not help me load. I will be out in the middle of nowhere and will have to bring any tools i need with me.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

3dAngus

You will need a two ton engine lift crane on wheels, and smooth concrete underneath. Asphalt may not allow it to move freely enough as it weighs about 980 pounds if I remember correctly.

You have to load from the back, where the wheels can get fully under the trailer. Get it lined up and lifted, then back the trailer up to the generator. You will still have to man handle it to ease it in, due to the fact the lift cannot lift high enough all together to get it in, so you might have to lift by hand and tilt the generator down in back, up in front toward the trailer, and back in a bit more and slide it in. Use the shortest chain possible as leads are not allowable in short tolerances for the lifting height to get it in. Make sure it ain't no piddly little chain or we will be hearing from you in the hospital next.

There is no way you and 4 other guys are going to get that thing in there without some mechanical lift.

Next time, send pics.

You can get a good 2 ton at Northern tool.

The one ton will definitely NOT do. You lose weight as a trade=off of extension. You will need to be almost fully extended at the top bar to get it in there properly. That calls for the 2 ton. Maybe someone else has a better idea, but that is how I do it with my MEP-002, which is about 250 pounds heavier. I have also used my tractor. Just depends on what is most conventient at the time.

You cannot do this in a M105. Wheels are to high. You can do it in a M101, barely, due to the height of the gen, and the ability to lift only so far with the 2 ton.

A load leveler will help if picking up from two different rings, in lieu of the top center ring.

Here is the hoist.

Torin Big Red 2-Ton Folding Shop Crane with Free Load Leveler | Engine Hoists | Northern Tool + Equipment
i
I also had a pallet jack to get it up above the bottom feet of the crane. You might not need that if you take it up from the end.

Not sure of the pallet lift hole width on that gen. set, It might not fit.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200326556_200326556

Last edited:

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Yep I have done it before. you will need either two come-a-longs or chain falls, straps or rope and leverage 2x4, poles..
1 back trailer with rear doors open close to gen.
2 chock both tires on both sides.
3 unhitch trailer lift tongue till rear end of trailer is on ground. set hand brakes, attach come-a-long from ring on trailer to hitch on truck and take the slack out.
4 use 2X4, camo net poles of if they fail #2 come-along to get generator into trailer, gen end is the heavy end so it goes in first.
5 depending on you and helpers bulk you may, after releasing parking brakes, pull down tongue to hitch.
Be very careful I have done rigging in the past so I have some idea what is going on. If you can't find a good anchor point inside the trailer for #2 you will have to come out the front via the gull doors, make sure you reenforce the front panel so when you start taking up the load you don't bend the front up. Take pictures of each thing you do, it will help you check your work and as folks won't believe you when you retell the story you will have proof! Good luck , take your time and be carefull.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Better bring a pickup truck. The MEP-017 is phyfsically bigger and heavier than the original MEP-016 3KW. I can't confirm that it won't fit, I'm a few hundred miles away from my stuff, but I know its bigger.

djasinski

recovery complete. I picked up my pioneer tool trailer today from Reedy WV. everything went fine. Where no problems what so ever. Then I went to Charleston WV to pick up the MEP-017 generator. Recovery4x4 was right. the MEP-017 does not fit in the pioneer tool trailer. Not even close. And it JUST fits inside the back of a 2004 dodge durango (see pics below). Luckily, there was a guy there with a front end loader and I was able to get it loaded into the back of my durango without trouble. I hope I can get it running without much work. Now comes the hard part, overhauling the trailer and generator for camping.

I will post photos as I work on the trailer, but don't expect them any time soon.

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had a pioneer trailer almost exactly like yours. Mine had the composite lights was the only difference I see. Mine was a 68 Casemaster. I traded it off and missed it ever since. Just last year I traded my way into one of the nicest A2 versions I've ever seen, thanks Popacom. I seriously doubt that this one will ever leave. That is a great little trailer, no doubt.
As far as the 017, you should be able to get that running, they are pretty stout.

djasinski

I plan to modify the trailer to use for camping. I will add a sink, stove, grill, 12v fridge, and other kitchen needs. also plan to add an air compressor, small 1kw generator and who knows what else. first things first though is a new paint job, new 12v tail lights, and new trailer jack.

I have a busy summer ahead of me

Ripcord01

Awesome score on the Pioneer trailer. them things are just two cool. There are e few on a expedition site ,the guy pretty much did what you plan. Keep us updated with the progress.

NEIOWA

recovery complete. I picked up my pioneer tool trailer today from Reedy WV. everything went fine. Where no problems what so ever. Then I went to Charleston WV to pick up the MEP-017 generator. Recovery4x4 was right. the MEP-017 does not fit in the pioneer tool trailer. Not even close. And it JUST fits inside the back of a 2004 dodge durango (see pics below). Luckily, there was a guy there with a front end loader and I was able to get it loaded into the back of my durango without trouble. I hope I can get it running without much work. Now comes the hard part, overhauling the trailer and generator for camping.

I will post photos as I work on the trailer, but don't expect them any time soon.

That God you didn't come across the Scene of the Accident. 500lb wheeled unrestrained load in an SUV? Even a minor fender bender and the local FD would be hosing your Durango for the local funeral director. No hospital bill anyhow.

djasinski

I did have it strapped down with several ratchet straps secured to the seat bolts and d rings. this photo was taken after I got home and removed the straps. If I did not strap it down, it would have rolled back and busted out the rear glass.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks