• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Just bought an M1101 MWOs?

bookpile

Well I just won my first military vehicle. I am pretty excited, a little less so when I realized that this was under the contract number that required all the MWOs. Can anyone tell from the photos if they have been performed. It looks like the pintle has rust on it indicating it is steel. Is the pintle the part that was originally aluminum and replaced with steel, or was it some other part of the draw bar?

It looks like it has a pretty recent paint job so I would think the MWOs were done sometime in the past ten years but you never know.

Would you gamble this can be towed home as is, or should I try to borrow a trailer to pick it up with?

1997 Cargo Trailer Wheeled 1 Ton Capicity Rating Fixed Bed Flat Floor, Box Body without Side Extensions, Individual Leaf - Government Liquidation

bookpile

Yea it is hard to tell. Those are all the pictures I have as I have not seen it in person yet. If the MWO were not done is there a place to buy the parts?

buck

If it were mine, I wouldn't be scared to just tow it home. Looks ok, but then you never really know till you get there. I've pulled many M101's, M105's, M103's and M200's home behind my pickup without any problems, some as far as 9 hrs. home. You'll need to rig the lights to work with your tow vehicle or use temp lights and you should have at least one spare tire that will work on the trailer if needed. I've never needed one but always had one with.
Good luck what ever you decide. Looks like a nice trailer to me.

bookpile

Yes. Just looked at the pics. It does have the MWOs done on it. Nice find.
How could you tell? Could you see the tags in one of the pictures or can you just tell by looking at the draw bar?

MWO- Stands for Maintenance Work Order. I think of them kind of as recalls.

I got my pintle hitch off craigslist, now I just need to keep working on a wiring adapter.

battlebuggy

MWO - Modification Work Order.

Yes on that trailer you can clearly see the MWO work right in the picture. There are 3 orders . 2 are actual changes, and 1 order for just an inspection.

And even if it wasnt done, you would never have to worry about it. You will never test the unit to destruction on the Munson Test Course at APG like the Army did. When they ran the tests the trailer was destroying the frame cross members on the humvee where the pintle hook mounted, unlike when the humvee towed the M101 series trailer at lower speeds.

They came out with a MWO for the rear of the humvee that reinforced the frame cross member to allow the humvee to tow the new M1101 trailer. And even then the trailer was too much for the standard humvee. So when the trailer was renamed from HMT High Mobility Trailer, to LTT Light Tactical Trailer, they de-rated the GVW to a lower number and called it the M1101. The M1101 was authorized to be towed by a standard humvee with no rear bumper, just the pintle hook mounted to the frame cross member.

Then they created the M1102 model LTT which was the *exact same trailer* except for the data plate, and authorized it only to be towed by Heavy Hummers such as the HHV M1097A1 and others with the Heavy Duty rear airlift bumper in either the all steel version or the aluminum version with the steel reinforcing plate in the center where the pintle hook goes. The M1102 data plate shows the full Max GTWR.

The brake controller was replaced with a new version designed by TACOM that was more durable but the one that was replaced is still out there on tons of military trailers such as the M101A2, M101A3, M116A1 etc. The shock absorber set up in the old version was not up to running on the sinewave track at the Munson Test Course with the trailer fully loaded to GTWR max, at high speed behind a humvee. It was designed for the lower off road speed that was always spec for trailers until the humvee and HMT/LTT spec came out. So TACOM came up with one with rollers instead of the swing arms and a new shock absorber that was more durable.

You have a fine trailer there at a great price. The only problem with them is they are as wide as a humvee and a lot of people do not like the fact that they do not look right behind a pickup unless it is a dually. Standard 3/4 ton 8 lug wheels with lower profile tires will bring the height more in line with a civvy truck, and changing the light bulbs to 12 volt, along with a new trailer connector to match a civvy truck are common mods.

Later
Glenn

Last edited:

bookpile

Well thanks a lot, I feel better about it. Initially I didn't think I should worry about the MWOs but then I found some posts on here saying that people wouldn't pull these an inch without having them done. Seems a little silly now that I've read about the history of them.

My EUC got submitted to Battle Creek today so now I wait.

bookpile

I can't believe how quick my first EUC got approved.

8/16 Won auction
8/17 Submitted EUC
8/20 Submitted to Battle Creek
8/27 Received EUC approval

It moved so fast I'm not quite ready with my trailer adapter. Looks like its Harbor Freight lights for me. Although I do have to wait for GL to call me back once they get ahold of someone at New Castle, DE. We'll see how that goes.