• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Just bought an M38A1

scotts

I just bought myself a well restored (I hope) M38A1. I am having a lot of fun learning about it and driving it around on the many quiet country roads in the Great Barrington, Ma area.

Two questions:

Do you have to be a veteran to be on this site? I do have an interest and appreciation of history, but I never served in the armed services.

Next question...I paid $7,300 for this. If it is well restored, how does that price sound? I see no rust anywhere, engine has about 400 mile on this since complete rebuild, all else looks pretty good.

Thanks for all the questions I have gotten answered just by reading older posts on this forum.

Scott

Pics:

Attachments

BillF

I would say you did ok with the purchase. You should go to MVMVC.org an think about joining. Even if you dont join you should come to the Weare NH rally.

jamesfrom180

Looks alot better from what I can see than mine. [thumbzup] I'll be honest at 1,300 I bought mine for the tires.

No you don't need to be a Veteran. A love of history is not needed also. The respect of both of those states of being is a good thing here or in life. I would like to see some pics of your engine, please?

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I just bought myself a well restored (I hope) M38A1. I am having a lot of fun learning about it and driving it around on the many quiet country roads in the Great Barrington, Ma area.

Two questions:

Do you have to be a veteran to be on this site? I do have an interest and appreciation of history, but I never served in the armed services.

Next question...I paid $7,300 for this. If it is well restored, how does that price sound? I see no rust anywhere, engine has about 400 mile on this since complete rebuild, all else looks pretty good.

Thanks for all the questions I have gotten answered just by reading older posts on this forum.

Scott

Pics:
Welcome to the site. You have a beautiful Jeep. I think you paid a very fair price.

You do not have to be a vet here. You simply have to have an interest in military vehicles.

Congratulations!

zout

Shoot some larger pics at us - good looking from what I see and I do not know very much.

Welcome to the site. SOme day I will finish the jeeps sitting in my garage but they sure won't look that nice.

Appreciation and love of OD Green is all it takes to be here.

modified

Welcome !!

does your A1 retain the orig Data plates an Mfg tag on the passenger wheel well?
all 24 volt electrical complete and intact?

Nice rig, we need more pics!!!!

scotts

thanks guys....I appreciate the warm welcome.......I'll get more pics and yes it is 24 volt.

I have the data plate with the serial number and the date of delivery (5/54), which is within few months of my own d.o.b.! But is in on the dashboard now. Don't see anything on the passenger wheel well.....where exactly would that be?

Another question.....Although it is at our cabin in MA, it is registered in NY. Any state inspection issues? Esp will the NDCC tires pass? I do have directionals. I am aware there is no emissions tests applicable.

thanks, and Cheers,

Scott

jamesfrom180

Very cool, the Willy's Manufacture tag will be behind the passenger seat on the wheel well. Will be a script plate riveted just below the top of the wheel tub. Just curious which inspector marks do you have? Where did your jeep serve? Mine was Army.

modified

Don't see anything on the passenger wheel well.....where exactly would that be?
Scott
probably covered under layer of paint .
as "jamesfrom180" mentioned, its about 4" x 2" aluminum raised-etched plate.
check the # on that plate against the stamped # on your Data plate. They should correspond. also, you can verify the motor is orig Mil F134 block by checking the serial stamp on the small, exposed, top, flat-plane of the block >front of the head> behind the water-pump.

stamping should read:
MD XXXXX for stock Mil Block
RMD XXXXX for Factory Relpacement Mil block

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks