• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Just bought another MEP002A 5KW

hurst01

I just recently picked up another MEP002A 5 KW from GL that was listed as B4. This translates into "Serviceable, for issue condition". Yeah, Right!
I went to pick it up and it looked really good, even had batteries and over half tank of fuel. The batteries are from 2004 and of course were bone dead. Surprisingly enough, I charged them for almost three days and they came up and turn pretty decent. I can't trust them to hold up though so I will replace them.
Again, no fuel at the injectors. I pulled the cap on the head of the IP, took out the delivery valve and tapped lightly on the plunger with a flat ended punch and hammer. Surprisingly enough it moved. I disconnected the fuel pumps and hit the starter briefly. It stuck again. After about 10 times it finally stayed in against the cam. Put everything back together and it took a bit but it started. It sounded really good with no smoke at all. I throttled it down to shut it down to change the voltage to 220 single phase. It died before I could shut it off. I was able to start it again and it ran for about three minutes and then sounded like it was going to come apart. It started puffing blue smoke and rattling with a lot of vibration.
I put some fuel injector cleaner in the tank and ran it a bit longer. It is not very responsive at all. I could throttle it down and bit and then throttle it up and it was very noisy with lots of smoke. Kind of sounded like it was running on only one cylinder instead of two. I guess I will have to pull the IP and clean it good.
Has anyone ever cleaned the injectors on one of these gensets? When it does start, it takes a very long time to fire off.
It has 557 hours and I believe them to be original from the way it looks. I even got the paperwork and some logs with it. When I went to pick it up I looked at several more that was ending that day. They were listed as F7 and H7 and looked every bit as good or better than mine. Some even had batteries and fuel in the tanks. A 10KW only had 207 hours and even looked better than mine. If I had about $5K to spare at the time I could have had several really good generators.

Ed

Carl_in_NH

Sounds like you'll need to clean out all that old fuel; never trust stuff that's left over in the tank.

It's really not too bad a job to pull everything apart and dump out all that old cruft that was once fuel. I'd clean out the entire system.

You need to be very careful with the plunger - a brass drift and a small mallet / piece of wood to tap it with are all I'd ever use - those are close mating parts, and will be damaged easily.

My MEP-003A takes some spinning to get going; typically 10 to 20 seconds of cranking in one or two tries after the normal preheating cycle when it's cold out. I've gone through and replaced my bad glow plugs, and that is required for this engine in cold weather areas - it just won't start without the GPs working.