• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Just bought my first CUCV

Tanaga

Hi all. I recent purchased my first CUCV, a M1028. I haven't tried starting it yet as it came with no batteries. It was being used as a forest fire truck as you can see. From reading post on this site I believe it has been converted to 12 volts. Since it's pretty cold out now and I have no shop I'm just going to start collecting parts and knowledge until spring.
image.jpg

Tanaga

At some point the door was replaced from a donor M1010. So I need a door data plate for a M1028. I got a couple lines on one of those already. Question is where do I find those rivets?

thanks

AZK9

Welcome from Arizona! [thumbzup]

Hi all. I recent purchased my first CUCV, a M1028. I haven't tried starting it yet as it came with no batteries. ... Since it's pretty cold out now and I have no shop I'm just going to start collecting parts and knowledge until spring. ...

Kind of like getting a birthday present in November, but not being able to open it until April!
Wow... it would be hard for me to wait that long to start into such a cool project! :wink:

Good luck and have fun!

Last edited:

fitz

Welcome to the site.
I would grab 2 batteries and spend about 15 minutes to install them.
Its a great feeling to hear a 6.2 start up after buying one in unknown running condition.

glaser06

Sweet truck. You can use regular pop rivets you buy at the hardware store to reinstall the data plate. Shouldn't be too much trouble, just drill out the ones that are in there now (carefully) and buy ones that just barely fit into the holes.

Hope this helps.

Howdy from New Orleans!

alpine44

Congrats.

You live in the right part of the country to enjoy the bare-bone nature of these vehicles. Plush highway rides they are not but, boy, is it sweet having the diesel lazily chug you over miles and miles of back-country trails.

In AK you will need a block heater (or better yet one in each bank) and installing those outdoors in the winter is going to be a pain. If you leave it sit over the winter, check the coolant concentration though.

Last edited:

alpine44

Nice purchase, does it glow in the dark?

It looks like a runner! Get that ol' girl fired up before it gets too cold out.
Looks like he may be past that already. Palmer, AK reports 6 degrees F today. But he has some 'warmer' days (around freezing) coming his way according to the forecast.

Last edited:

rsh4364

Congrats,and deff.check coolant it would be terrible if someone ran water only in it,especially if it had a bad headgasket and water is in oilpan.Im assuming you are the youngster in the cab.Great seeing such a interest in these old trucks from the newer generation crowd.A vast amount of knowledge to be gained here.Goodluck and post some more picts. when you can.

Last edited:

Tanaga

Good call on checking the coolant. I better do that on Saturday. It's dark by the time I get off work now so not only is it cold but it's dark too. I was hoping someone would be able to direct me to some vintage original rivets that match the other data plate in the door jamb. I would love to hear it run, maybe I'll go pick up some batteries the next time it warms up some.

Thanks to all.

Tanaga

I couldn't stand it any longer. So I bought a couple of batteries and tried to start the old M1028. Starter just clicked is all. Pulled the starter and tested it. It ran good. Pulled the starter relay out from under the dash. This truck had been converted over to 12 volts before I got it so I followed the directions from several of you regulars and connected the 2 purple wires. Fired right up. I was very impressed. First diesel I've ever owned and I love it! Now I just need to get a license plate light, a rear view mirror, a title, registration, and a paint job. Then comes the lift kit and tires.

bwilson7990

Welcome from Pennsylvania! I'm pretty new here too. I've been working on my buddy's M1008 for the past month and been having a blast with it. If you haven't yet, check out the "helpful threads" sticky, there is so much information there! Also, the CUCV TM's has all the technical manuals you'll need, and trust me you'll want them as you're learning the truck and they make a world of difference when troubleshooting. Best of luck to you with the new project.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks