• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Just bought my first M923, engine seized

Rummels Automotive

Just purchased my first 1984 M923. Driving it home, engine suddenly started running hot and seized! Need some help, what do I do? Guy gave me my money back and told me to keep the truck. I have $1800 to spend to fix it, suggestions?

sd39u

Sounds like my truck!

Could be:
Bad order thermostat.
Bad order head gasket.
Or you could have welded the pistons to the cylinder liner.
Could be a hydro locked cylinder

Read my post a few posts down...some good advice in there.

Eric

FloridaAKM

You got your money back & kept the truck, what good luck on your part! Welcome to the Green Iron Disease. There will be more knowledgeable folks along to help you with your engine problem.....

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
With the $1800 I would buy a good take out engine and be done with it.

Rummels Automotive

Not a bad deal, I was just not wanting another engine project but I got one anyway! I think that I have a scorched liner. Just talked to my godfather (a diesel mechanic) sounds like the bottom end of those motors are pretty tough. I'll know when I drop the pan. Hoping I can do a in frame overhaul. I'll keep you updated.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
depending on what model of truck you have, it is either a Cummin's NHC250 or the 6CT8.3L.

Just a straight M923 should have the NHC250.

Some members have takes outs. Or any of the big vendors. Eastern Surplus, White Owl, TJ Murry, Memphis Equipment, etc will also have them.

Post a Want Ad and see whats out there.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/forumdisplay.php?130-Parts-wanted

Last edited:

Iowadog

I had the same thing happen to my 923. It was caused by a bad radiator. I ended up with an in frame overhaul and had the radiator rebuilt. So be safe and check out the radiator before firing up another engine!

Ford Mechanic

I had the same thing happen to my 923. It was caused by a bad radiator. I ended up with an in frame overhaul and had the radiator rebuilt. So be safe and check out the radiator before firing up another engine!
Well did you put the radiator in time out? :)

What was wrong with the radiator? Clogged, leaking? Did it not show running hot?

Rummels Automotive

Thanks for all the info guys. I'm hoping to drop the pan today. If the bottom end looks OK I'll probably stick with an in frame. The engine only has just over 600 hrs on it. Every drop of water we added to it yesterday wound up in the pan.

Ray70

WOW! a free 5 Ton, even with a bad motor you still scored big! I bet there are more than a few who paid decent money and also got a bad motor!
Good luck , and welcome to SS.

Rummels Automotive

Bad part is I was looking at the engine data tag and found the engine was manufactured 12/06! So the engine isn't even that old. The good news is, I went out today and she cranks over. Think a head gasket blew, hydrolocked the motor (may have even cracked a sleeve), after the engine sat all night the water passed the piston and into the crankcase and allowed the engine to turnover. Fingers crossed!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks