• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Just Curious

JR

I was thinking about when I was test driving the truck I want to buy, when the turn signals were on the gas gauge needle jumped all over the place. Is that a common problem? I just dont want to fix anything and he has other truck so I could get a new part if needed before I take delivery.

-JR

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just don't want to fix anything
A deuce is the wrong choice of vehicles, if you don't want to fix things. These trucks are old and require constant upkeep.

btw, Sometimes in one of mine, the fuel gauge bounces all over other times it stays steady.

JR

Really? I would think it these things would be dead reliable? Dont get me wrong I love to tinker, I have a small fleet of classic mustangs and a restored 84 Ford Diesel truck and a beater 79 rabbit diesel. I just dont want to mess around with this truck right away. What are the common problems?

chuck500cc

I used the old wood dowel method to be sure. On a duece you can feel the side of the gas tank and determine the ammount because the tank will be hot where the fuel is after running for awhile. Do some quick math and there you go. Or use a stick...

Chuck XD Fan

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What are the common problems?
Same problems with any other 40+ year old vehicle, just heavier. Anything from headlights to tail lights and everything in between! If you are mechanically inclined and enjoy tinkering, you'll enjoy owning a deuce. The guys on this site will always help you too. Jump in!

M725

Most stuff that goes wrong with 21/2 ton are minor. That goes the same with any USED truck, you will have problems. But for a 40 year old truck you can't get a better truck, Unless it was trash by the last owner.

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
All of our deuces and 5 tons have been very reliable. We have not experienced the wrenching all of the time scenario with any of our trucks. These trucks are well built, and when you need to work on them, they are easy to work on. My son built a modified LDS 465 to put in his latest deuce. He and his wife, using our M543A2 wrecker, had the motor and transmission unit sitting on the ground in 2 1/2 hours. Try that with a civilian heavy duty truck. He works for the state highway, and gets really frustrated with their new computer everything and generally hard to work on Sterlings. Manufacturers work hard anymore to complicate vehicles in the name of who knows what. It takes hours to pull a motor. The performance and mileage of the new trucks is not any better than the old trucks, in fact they are dogs compared to a set-up deuce or five ton.
Regards Marti

FSBruva

I agree with doghead. The statement "I don't want to fix anything" sounds a bit naive to me. The truck as a whole is very reliable. But that is a very different statement than saying that nothing will ever require fixing. These trucks have a high tolerance for damage, and once started, will usually run until the tank is empty. However, this doesn't mean that you should leave damaged items in that state forever.

Regardless of the quality of the vehicle, or it's upkeep - these trucks are old, and have things that go wrong with them. If you want a truck that you won't have to mess with for 100,000 miles, a deuce is not the truck for you. The subcomponents (especially electrical) can produce tricky gremlins that can be hard to fix. Check out the maintenance manuals, and get a feel for the level of maintenance performed by the military on these.

Matt

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks