• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Just got a 71 M35a2

Josh

Little back story, ever since i saw tremors 2 i wanted one of these trucks, 2 weeks ago i finally was able to find one in good shape, close enough (bout 3 miles away) and a price i could aford. its a kiaser jeep 1971 M35A2 wo/w "D"turbo
had 38,173 miles when i got it 2 weeks ago, it now has 39,503, so ive given it a pretty good test drive.

this is the only decent picture i have atm, ill get some more tomorrow of the interior/ an what not tomorrow.
im not really a small guy and its definatly a tight squeeze in there but so worth it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v340/TEH_SeksiSeks/CIMG3759.jpg

(dont mind the account name for photobucket, i was to lazy to make my own so i stole my little bros account there)

but i have a few questions, when its cold it smokes blue smoke pretty good, but in the last 2 weeks of having it, the oil level hasnt droped one bit. it doesnt leak cept the front axle but he gave me all the bearings/seals to do it with the truck.

im just curious if there anyone near the Portland,Or area who has some expertiese about these who wouldnt mind giving it a look over. The tach doesnt work, and im afraid to go start pulling screws and what not with out some direction, dont know if the cable is broken or if the tach it self is busted.

how long should i let this warm up for in the morning, 5, 10 15 minutes? right now ive been letting it idle for about 15minutes or so, and it still takes about 10 minutes of driving for the oil pressure to even out around 60, it spikes up to 90 if i try to get on it when its cold, is this normal? I know the oil is good, he changed it 2 weeks before he put up for sale.

also anyone in the portland area have the bows/cover for sale for a reasonable price, they dont really have to be in good condition, i just need something before i go camping for 2 weeks in july/august.

besides greasing it is there any little tips or info i should know to keep her running in good shape

besides the whistler affect of a C turbo is there any benefit/downside to trying to find one and put it on.

as for now that sums it all up, been reading this site now for a few months now, but even searching ive had trouble finding alot of these questions, either i just didnt know what i was looking for or i am a moron, but any links, tips anything would be greatly appreciated.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That looks like a really nice truck. Enjoy it! I can't help with any of your questions mostly because I'm still waiting to pick up my first one. Plus I'm on the wrong side of the country to help out. But good luck and welcome aboard!

mcmullag

"when its cold it smokes blue smoke pretty good, but in the last 2 weeks of having it, the oil level hasnt droped one bit"

Mine does the same thing, I figure it is unburned diesel fuel, till the cylinders
get a little warmed-up and ya get better combustion. I let mine warm up about 5 to 10 minutes. I noticed it gets into a groove and runs quieter smoother after about 30 minutes of running. I use that slickdiesel fuel additive stuff from Wally-World to keep the fuel system in good shape..

I keep all my grease points lubed, they are everywhere, not only driveline and front steering parts, but up on each side of the clutch housing and even on the clutch and brake pedal arms stuff under the floorboard.

Numbers

Welcome to the site. Looks like you suffer from being too tall also. Why in the hell could they not have thought that someone over 6 foot may actually want/have to drive one of these things. I can see how everyone else is doing theirs but not sure if I want to cut and hack on it at this point.

Under the resources section you will find most of your tech manuals you will ever need for your truck to keep it in running in good shape and try to follow the schedule. Someone here will have seen your problem before and point you in the right direction/thread. If your tach is broken nothing will hurt pulling screws on it.

Only tip I have to keep it in running shape is to get a Solargizer or its equivilant to prevent the effects of sulfate buildup in the batteries. I have never (knock on wood) had a problem yet on starting the vehicle and if the military thought enough of it to put it on quite a few M35's then its good enough for me.

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice truck and welcome fellow Deuce owner:-D

Be sure to read the TMs. It will answer 99% of your questions and will boost your knowledge tremendously. Regarding bows and covers, there's a guy up here who has bows and corners but no covers. Pretty reasonable I think.

GoHot229

I too had tha TACH thing going on. It worked when I got it, but having taken the gauge cluster bolts out to pull it out a bit to re-hook up some cut wires, it then became an itermitant thing. They are by the way a simple cable to take out and replace, no VooDoo there, verry straight forward. However My guess is that the inner cable ends wear at a good clip and thuss become less (male-female) connected and thus become intermitant or non functional altogather because they loose their comect.

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thats one hell of an exhausts stack, oh wait, thats a telephone pole 8<) Congrats on your purchase.
Alex

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Let me try this canned reply function.. Hey it works!

Educate oneself by reading the TM.s We have made them available free of charge here on Steel Soldiers. Go to the top, click on resources then scroll down to technical manuals. Once there search for TM 9-2320-361-10 and TM 9-2320-361-20 as starters. Right click on them and save them to your computer for best results. The -10 is the operators and the -20 is the unit maintenance manual. You can also grab the TM 9-2320-361-34, TM 9-2320-361-20P and TM 9-2320-361-34P. That completes that series of TM. All of the 209 manuals are a different series.

wsucougarx

I was wondering how long that truck was going to last on craigslist for that price. Air-O-Matic steering kit and all. Good find!!!! Say, why don't you drive that upto WA State July 18th for our convoy. Just do a search for Chehalis and you'll find the thread on our little convoy:)

Steaminjim

Great Welcome to the club. Havent found a nicer group of guys in any hobby (well the SASS guys are really great too.) Stay on top of your brakes. :wink: They are a real pain to bring back on line if you let the fluid run out. Read the threads on her and also read the tech articles. Minne has been a joy and I'm sure you will have a great time with yours. Mine is the same model and year just an AMG.
Semper Fi
Steaminjim

pittdog

hea Josh ! just got me a 72 !!!! amg . its sweet !.... parade ready !... take care of her man !!... gov gona blow em up after oct ... ch-47 gona drop em in the impack areas !

Josh

I was wondering how long that truck was going to last on craigslist for that price. Air-O-Matic steering kit and all. Good find!!!! Say, why don't you drive that upto WA State July 18th for our convoy. Just do a search for Chehalis and you'll find the thread on our little convoy:)

i might just have to do that. yeh i first saw this truck @ sandlake last august he was hauling his bronco in it, but i bsed with him for a while and checked out the truck, so when i saw it pop up on craigslist i jumped on it as fast as i could, im glad he posted it when he did, because the next morning i was about to go dump 3000 on my landcruiser to do a motor/tranny/trasfercase swap and a lift, but now that project is on hold, but i still think i came out on top.

and yes the air-o-matic is <3 at first sharp turn or when im in a parking lot.

wsucougarx

Oh in regard to your oil pressure, every truck is different. The military actually has two different oil pressure gauges out there a 0-60 and a 0-120. Some engines run w/a higher oil pressure than others. What they found was some trucks were always pegged at 60+ on the 0-60. So they offered a 0-120 for those particular trucks. Of all the 5 trucks I've owned, they have all had 0-60 except for one truck. From what I remembered, it ran at 90.

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Quote"Little back story, ever since i saw tremors 2 i wanted one of these trucks"Unquote.

A pic of your inspiration for you!

Attachments

Josh

Oh in regard to your oil pressure, every truck is different. The military actually has two different oil pressure gauges out there a 0-60 and a 0-120. Some engines run w/a higher oil pressure than others. What they found was some trucks were always pegged at 60+ on the 0-60. So they offered a 0-120 for those particular trucks. Of all the 5 trucks I've owned, they have all had 0-60 except for one truck. From what I remembered, it ran at 90.
thats very helpful, good to know that having it spike to 90 isnt as bad as i thought.

also one of my neighbors said he used to rebuild these trucks back in 9-94 when he was in the service suggested every time i fill it up i should add 1 gallon of gas to clean off of the pistons ive always avoided gas in a diesel engines, i know they are multifuel but is there any benefit to adding gas in it?

wsucougarx

Hmm, I don't know about adding gas to the engine. Just thinking about the semi's on the road. How many of them add gas to their diesels. Not sure many do. However I do add a diesel additive to clean the injectors etc but mostly to stabilize the diesel to it can last a little bit longer. I get it at Walmart in a silver plastic bottle. Heck I use it so much I forgot what it is called:oops:. Diesel kleen or somthing like that. I don't know about you but my deuce doesn't see the road much, maybe 2-3 times a month (100 miles total)

Josh

yeh i use diesel kleen in all my diesel trucks, but my duece is my daily driver so its seeing 500-1000 miles a month. so i dont really have to worry about the diesel going bad. i do notice a rise in power and milage in other trucks, but havent to much in this one, coarse i didnt really have any non-additive driving to make a comparison.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks