• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Just got an R2 crash truck

CGarbee

I see that the link to my website page with R2 info has already been posted, so I'll just second the request to have dataplate info and such sent on to me for inclusion in my listing...

I know where a few of these are (including two in North Carlina that are relatively complete and looking for good homes) in case you need to talk to the owners about parts, etc.

If you ever get serious about putting a Cummins in, contact me...

Thanks,

pwrwagonfire

update....
I made up a trailer hitch for it.
the stock pintle setup still bolts right in.
I cut the hole in the rear crossmember into a square, then made a plate that was welded to a receiver hitch. I also made up some brackets for the safety chain.
I have yet to rewire the lights.... hopefully soon though. I did remount and wire the horn and siren.

vegard- I really like that set up, it came out well! :idea:

vegard

Thanks for the replies, everyone. CGarbee thanks for your website. It was the one that inspired me to get this thing in the first place.

I though I should give another update....

The truck is really close to being reliable. I replaced the exhaust manifold and some of the exhaust lines. In the process I disturbed the carb enough that it doesnt run well anymore. Basically it starts and idles fine, just has absolutely no power. Im not surprised, as when I emptied the carb bowl there was junk in there. The action of removing and reinstalling the intake probably stirred up everything.

Good news is that the previous owner left a carb rebuild kit in the back of the truck.

Back to body/wiring- I have all the lights, including interior's working perfectly. I set up a door switch for the drivers door that turns the dome light on (with an override switch that allows off/door/always on). I made similar setups for the lights in the back. With the 6 stock dome lights in the back of the thing, its quite bright in there.
I also shortened the ladder a bit on the back and removed the slave cable connectors to allow room to mount HMMVW tail light buckets into the body. I didnt like the way the lights hang down in the stock location. I do plan to make some bumpers that have a step to allow functionality of the ladder again.

No pics today, but soon. Once I get the carb rebuilt, I plan to just drive the thing for a bit. I will keep updating, but life got busy lately.

- Vegard

m108

One thing not discussed earlier is the flathead 6 won't last long at constant speeds over 45ish. I have a R-2 and I read they are about 1000 lbs lighter than a M37 and mine will easily exceed 50 and especally if you are used to a M37 it is easy to over speed the engine. You may already know this but I thought I would mention it just in case.

vegard

you may have seen my other thread about the winch. well, it turns out I have an LU-2 winch, not the LU-4 that I should have. I doubt that this winch was ever mounted on the truck. Apparently it was stock on some civilian dodge power wagons.

Now I need to figure out how to best fill the space between my bumperettes.
Since I plan to swap the drivetrain out anyway, I am thinking aobut options for going hydraulic. I am researching the possibility of getting, then converting, an LU4, or just getting a modern hydraulic winch. We will see.

vegard

Basically at this point, my work on the truck has stopped for a while. BUT.. it is running well and mechanically 100%. All the lights, gauges etc. work. And all the rust is gone. I do have a winch on there that I was able to buy, and I built a bracket and mounted a hydraulic motor to it, so when I swap out the drive train it will be hydraulic.

The bad news (for the truck atleast) is that I recently took a job in california, and for the time being the truck will stay in maryland, hence the project is on break.
I have taken it on a couple 50+ mile trips recently.

Thanks for your interest and you can bet at some point I will revive this thread and be back on the project.

- Vegard

WBrun334

What was the intended purpose of having the angled raised roof/top portion? Headroom for personnel moving about inside? Angled mounting for foam nozzles? I have looked at all the pictures posted or linked and only found one photo of an original that appeared to have a mounted nozzle yet several times a foam generator has been mentioned.

Fireman5230

The part you see that is angled is to store a ladder. The idea was this truck at the time was the RESCUE truck of the USAF. The bigger O-10's and O-11As and B's would use foam to fight the fire and "cut a path" to the plane. The Rescue Crew would then get the crew out. A ladder would be used to get to the cockpit.

Later I saw some of the Crash Trucks carry the ladders the flight crews used to get in and out of fighter cockpits...

The ONLY fire surpression agent used was a small CB - Clorobromomethan (Sorry for spelling) with a hose reel.

Attachments

WBrun334

Yes, now I understand. The ladder mount is inside the vehicle, not on the top. If those are photo's of a restored truck, then the owner certainly has my respect and admiration for a job well done. Interesting that the chain drive for (I assume) the hose reel is exposed. Probably couldn't do that today with safety regulations.

rosims

Looking for Wiring dirgram for R2 Crash Truck M-56
I have resstored a R2 before. I have all kinds of pictures, manuals, a few spare parts, etc. Would be glad to help. My R2 won Judges Choice and 1st Place Restored post war 3/4-ton. Would be glad to help. Send PM, Robert

GUNNY 155

I highly reccommend Vintage Wiring of Maine for your wiring harness. Joe did one for my frame off restoration and his work is outstanding. He can also do any custom touches you may need or add any additional wires you may need. My m37 is a 1953 so it had Douglas style connectors but I had him the more water proof Packard style connectors on the wiring ends used for tail, stop and turn signals since they are exposed to the weather. Best of luck with your project.

vegard

I have resstored a R2 before. I have all kinds of pictures, manuals, a few spare parts, etc. Would be glad to help. My R2 won Judges Choice and 1st Place Restored post war 3/4-ton. Would be glad to help. Send PM, Robert

That is a very generous offer. Yes this thread is old, but I am still here!

My project is on hold as I am working in California and the truck is still in PA.
I would love to see any pictures you have to share, as Im sure would others that are following this thread.

Thanks

Vegard

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks