• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Just got it home!

Satchimo

Hey all, just got my 52 xm211 home from the previous owners place. It was quite the event! We started our journey at 0300 after getting out of work a little early. This is a running/driving truck, so we figured we would just simply drive it to my place about 30 miles away.........

Well, we made it about 4 miles before the rad popped where the tank meets the core, so there went that idea. After spending the next few hours getting the truck back to his house and messing around pulling the radiator, we decided to look for one in the local yards. We found nothing that would come remotely close to fitting. aua

In the end, we actually fabbed up a tow bar, and pulled "Norman" to my place at 35 mph, losing 2 tires in the process. Total time for the entire recovery.....about 12.5 hours for 30 miles, but he is now chillin in my driveway!

Norman was apparently used as multiple things in the last 59 years, as the interior has all of the original military markings, there are some remnants of yellow paint from the road department, and somewhere along the line he received a semi-built 400 sb with a 4 speed manual.

Anyways, figured I would share my day and some pics with you all, the build will be slow going, but I will post updates here.:D

Attachments

pa.rich

There's alot of M211 parts around. I have a XM211, 1952, same age as me. Today I put a new water pump on it. Was an easy job.Was the radiator the original or was it already modified for the v8? About that flatbed. Looks hefty and strong, giant head ache rack. With the tranny replaced, I assume it has no low range? The low range is in the original tranny they say. Some guys dont miss it but I would for crawling around the hill I have here. Mine is all original except it has a m35 gas tank. BTW, welcome aboard, and looking forward to hearing abt your project.

Satchimo

There's alot of M211 parts around. I have a XM211, 1952, same age as me. Today I put a new water pump on it. Was an easy job.Was the radiator the original or was it already modified for the v8? About that flatbed. Looks hefty and strong, giant head ache rack. With the tranny replaced, I assume it has no low range? The low range is in the original tranny they say. Some guys dont miss it but I would for crawling around the hill I have here. Mine is all original except it has a m35 gas tank. BTW, welcome aboard, and looking forward to hearing abt your project.

Thanks for the welcome. It was the original radiator, I'm not quite sure what I am going to replace it with yet, any suggestions are welcomed. Yeah, I will take some more pics of this bed, someone spent some serious time on it. It even has side gates that match that headache rack lol. It has a 4 speed with granny low in it, so first is literally useless if I want to go more than 3mph. You also cannot shift into first unless you are completely stopped. It also has 2 sticks for the t-case, one with a low/neutral/high and the other to engage the front. Not sure if this is original or what as I am not too knowledgeable on these yet.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
drive train mods

Just guessing if you start a thread in the "forum" under "early deuce" identifying that you have a 211 with a drive train mod ..........and take some cool detail pics of how they solved all the challenges of a build like that........

You'll make a pile 'o' people real happy and help solve some challenges others are having.

Thanks for savin' it . . . . . . I nearly fell over when I saw that small block....Nice

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Nice truck satchimo. I am just across the lake from you in Rollins. If you need any parts and what not let me know. I have 8 new 11.00 NDT I am lookin to get rid of.

Satchimo

Thanks for the info everyone! I will definitely take a ton of detailed pics of the mods on this truck and share any info I have once I get the bed off, and get it in the garage.

Simp, I will definitely contact you when I get a better idea of everything I need, and what direction I decide to go with the build. Also wouldn't mind meeting up with some nearby folks to bs and learn some things. If you could, PM me with the price on those tires, all my rears need replaced.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
and if you need to move it anywhere let me know. I have a trailer that is suitable for moving these size trucks . Wish I could have been there to help.

Satchimo

and if you need to move it anywhere let me know. I have a trailer that is suitable for moving these size trucks . Wish I could have been there to help.
Thanks! And yeah, a giant trailer would have made today a breeze. On the other hand, I will always have a memory of bringing home my first deuce. I got your pm, will be in contact soon.

-Scott

Stan Leschert

Well, that was an M211.
A lot of mods have happened.

Post up what power plant it now has and transfer case ...

The TMs are available at MilitaryTrucks.ca Website - M135

The 135 and 211 were very similar, the cargo bed and the tires ( Duals - Super Singles), were the only difference. All else is the same. Alphaheaven, Memphis equipment and Brian Asbury in Ontario, Canada will become your friends.

Do a search on this site for M135 and M211, so I don't have to repeat all of what the smart people know, and the dumb things that I learned the hard way!

Last edited:

Satchimo

Thanks guys! I have to do some research on tcase numbers and such after I get a chance to crawl underneath it. It is a 400 small block, apparently the entire engine/tranny combo and wiring harness came from an early 70's chevy pickup, so it is a full 12 volt system. All of the modification brackets were made from 1/4" steel and welded very well. I will post any information on the truck as I get it, but I work 6 days a week, so it will take a little while. Next step is to get the bed and headache rack off to get it in the garage before the snow falls.

What are some thoughts on doing this thing up in snow camo, I am in Montana afterall.....