• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Just got my first CUCV home today!

ford381stroker

I picked up a 1985 M1008 from Fort Riley, KS on a Gov. Liquidation auction. The driveshafts was damaged. From what I read this is the norm. The guys there were very helpful. They loaded it up on my trailer for me with the forklift (since the driveshaft had a kink in it anyways).

I got it home, put two batteries in it, turned the key and started it right up. I took it out for a spin and everything seems to run ok.

Couple of things that need attention.

1. If I hit the gas and then let off at a stop sign or let off the gas pedal quickly the motor wants to die instantly. Also, the motor takes a second to react once I hit the gas pedal.

2. I have the death shake in the front end when I hit 35mph. I have to slam on the brakes to get it to stop. It feels like the front end is going to come out of the truck. The hubs are unlocked and the driveshaft spins freely. The transfer case shifter is in 2wd. I had a Jeep Cherokee that had this same problem and I had to reinforce the panhard bar because it had come loose from the frame.

I will do a search on these later. Just wanted to post up! :D

Here are a couple of pics. I just rolled it off the trailer and haven't washed it yet so please forgive me.

Attachments

ford381stroker

By the way. I picked up 80 12 bolt wheels and tires at a auction down at Fort Sill, OK and I have a set of 37" Goodyear Wrangler MT's on the 12 bolts I plan to put on this asap. I am hoping to order the lift within the next week or so. I have been reading up on what different people have done. Feel free to post up recommendations of manufacturer of lift you recommend. I am going to order the 2" wheel spacers so I can bolt the wheels on and not have to weld in new centers.

Here is a pic of a set I finished last night for my Samurai. 12 bolts with a Rockwell center welded in and a flame rim stiffener.

ssgtwright-usmc

If you have the (death wobble) then check the frame where the power steering box is attached at.
The power steering box due to its location likes to crack at the frame where the bolts are attached.
I had this problem and I had to order a kit to strengthen the frame where the steering box meets the frame.
The bolts will snap off if its really bad.
Its something we dont look at until the 2 or 3 of the 4 bolts snaps off. By that time the frame will have to be welded at the cracks. Just added this here for general knowledge.

gil00652@aol.com

Congratulation on your purchase. I bought a 1987 and have the same problem you had. I was driving it and shaked like an earthquake. I came home and inspected it and found the transfer case leaking. After carefully checking for the leak I found that the adapter that the tranfer case and transmission bolt on to was crack. Like you I wonder what was going on. I figured that some might be wrong with the front end. Once I started to take apart the shaft I saw the big dent on it and I figured that must be the problem because from my readings this is a balance shaft. I am sure this is where the vibration came from because my front end was free willing. When inspecting the front end I found that the stabalizer bar had loose nuts. I am now looking for the adapter and a new shaft. Seems this shaft issues is a problem because they are picking up these trucks with a fork lift. Let me know if you know where I can pick up an adapter. The adapter on nornal picks has 4 bolt holes for the transmission to bolt on too. The adapters on our CUCV has 6 and they look alot bigger than the normal. Good Luck. If you fine that something else is causing the shakes let me know. thanks

gil00652@aol.com

Just asking, if the shaft has a big dent wouldn't this make the truck shake? I thought these shafts are balanced.
I got into that death shake and it cracked my adapter that goes between the transfer case and transmission.
I guess I was wrong?

rnd-motorsports

Yes the shaft dent will give you a shake or vibe and needs to be fixed asap the front end with bad king pins will also make a wobble or shake most of the time after a small bump the front will if you will dance and the steering wheel will be hard to hold and completely dif than a driveshaft shake that you will feel more in the seat of your pants and not so much in the steering wheel!

rnd-motorsports

The king pins on a dana 60 front axle are what the ball joints are on a dana 44 or corprate 10 bolt front axle here is a pic of a rebuild kit. The delring bushing you ask about would be the white part in the pic it rides on the cone with the spring on the top, The bearing is on the bottom

Attachments