• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Just got my first MV!

Blaines2399

So after initially driving to Indiana to look at a M923A2 and figuring out the guy pretty much led me on about the condition of the original truck I wanted, I found a M813A1 in Iowa. I drove her home the 350 miles and she did great! Different model than I wanted but the winch was super enticing.

Planning on doing some touch up work on the paint and convert it over to super singles. Anything else I should do? Thanks

IMG_4440.jpg
IMG_4437.jpg

Superthermal

Looks killer! Nice find for sure! I also own a M813. Unfortunatly even after having it for two years almost I am still short a working winch and lockers.
Best wishes on your rig. Here is a link to my build thread if your interested.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
So after initially driving to Indiana to look at a M923A2 and figuring out the guy pretty much led me on about the condition of the original truck I wanted, I found a M813A1 in Iowa. I drove her home the 350 miles and she did great! Different model than I wanted but the winch was super enticing.

Planning on doing some touch up work on the paint and convert it over to super singles. Anything else I should do? Thanks

View attachment 917318View attachment 917319
Happy that you found a nice looking truck! Making it 350 miles without problems gives it a pretty good "bill of health". Looking at the tires, I don't really see the need to go to Super Singles. That rubber looks pretty good... I think I would start with the LO (Lube Order). Get yourself a TM (Technical Manual) or two and change the oil, grease every fitting you can find, change the anti-freeze and filters for that too.

Yeah, those things don't really make the truck look different but making it last longer would be pretty good...

Wreckclues

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ditto on the M813 here too, 1976 Air Force.
If you ever develop a fuel delivery problem, check the pickup tube in the tank first. Some of us have steel tubes that rotted out over time. So far I've replaced the fuel gauge, fuel sender, blinka module, taillight assembly, tailgate pins, exhaust pipe, front windshields, ammeter, power steering tube, fuel filter and o-rings, fuel line to engine, one wiper motor (cleaned one of the originals) and rebuilt rotted out sections with expanding body filler foam. All the repairs have been straightforward, parts are available and not outrageously expensive. Also installed a 12V circuit off a 30Amp inverter, dual battery bank switch, 4 new...ish batteries, seat belts and an 8 kw diesel parking heater.
To pass state tech I'll need to rebuild the parking brake, patch a muffler leak, replace a rear view mirror ( hit a tree...oops), rebuild another rear view mirror mount (same tree coming back...dang it!) and replace the wheels and tires. I'm going with the 46 inch Goodyear 395 11R 20's. Concerned about changing the rigs center of gravity. Good luck on your project.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you get a cargo cover with it?

That looks like a fantastic truck. The winch really adds to it.

I prefer the manual transmission in the 809 series to the 939's automatic. And that NH250 sounds a lot better than the 8.3 liter school bus engine in the M923A2...

If you go to sell those 11.00's let me know. I'd like to put my wrecker on duals ...

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What would you recommend doing? Replacing the brake lines and rebuilding the master cylinder?
Bleed and inspect. Replace anything questionable.

These trucks have a single circuit system. Any leak or failure loses all your brakes. I've done it at highway speed. Once. It was more fun than anyone should be allowed to have....

Which fluid is in them currently?

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What would you recommend doing? Replacing the brake lines and rebuilding the master cylinder?
Look for wetness on the brake backing plate and at the bottom of the drum that would indicate a leaking wheel cylinder. On mine, it needed 5 of the 6 wheel cylinders rebuilt and it needed its hardened rubber brake hoses replaced.

I would drain the radiator to check and get rid of any nasty gunk that might be in there.

For other modifications I would add a pyrometer, jake brakes, coolant filter, and down the line maybe even a turbo 😁

US6x4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's how you find the answer:
  1. Download both halves of the M809 Technical Manual for parts that covers your M813A1 (TM 9-2320-260-24P-1 & -2)
  2. The index of the first half will direct you to the rear brakes & hubs section with an exploded view of the parts and a Bill Of Material. Copy the NSN number of the part you want.
    20240330_060832.jpg
Go to www.parttarget.com and paste the NSN number into the search bar to find as many details as the system has available.
Screenshot_20240330-061046_Chrome.jpg
20240330_060935.jpg

Here's another useful chart for the 5-ton combat wheels and then the HEMTT wheels:
20220326_160806.jpg

Screenshot_20220324-145332_Drive.jpg

Blaines2399

Here's how you find the answer:
  1. Download both halves of the M809 Technical Manual for parts that covers your M813A1 (TM 9-2320-260-24P-1 & -2)
  2. The index of the first half will direct you to the rear brakes & hubs section with an exploded view of the parts and a Bill Of Material. Copy the NSN number of the part you want.View attachment 920142
Go to www.parttarget.com and paste the NSN number into the search bar to find as many details as the system has available. View attachment 920143 View attachment 920144

Here's another useful chart for the 5-ton combat wheels and then the HEMTT wheels:
View attachment 920145
View attachment 920146
Awesome, thanks for the help

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks