• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Just got my M1009

Hal O'Peridol

Went l;ooking for a M1009 daily driver and found one for sale down in the Bay area of California.

Flew down one way from Seattle to San Francisco, the seller picke me and my daughter up from the airport. A short trip later, I was looking at 3 different M1009s for sale, 2 still in 24v and one converted over to 12v.

The one in 12v was in better shape, and the windshield was not cracked, so I bought it. Ran very well too. Loaded up our backpacks and took off for Bellingham WA. Trip went well ubtil we hit the mountains between Redding CA and Medford OR. Boy was it COLD!!!!! No heat either. Stoipped off to get new wiper blades and got a hunk of cardboard to put in front of the radiator. That helped with the heat issue somewhat. Spent the night in Medford.

Next day hopped in and took off. Just south of Portland I heard a loud BANG from the LR tire and pulled off I-5. Yep, a blowout. Pulled out the spare, jack and lug wrench. Could NOT get the lug nuts loose, so called AAA. Probably souned like some wimpy metrosexual when I said I could not get the lug nuts off.

AAA guy shows up, smirks at me a bit until he tried to loosen the lugnuts. NO smirks after that....they was on tight! Back on the road, and headed north.

Finally pulled into the house about 2 am , tired. Mostly an uneventful trip, and pleased with how the M1009 ran and handled.

It is a 1984 with (now) 80,000 miles on it. Just some minor surface rust, it is an ex Calif. Nat'l Guard vehicle, came from either Fort Hunter-Ligget or Camp Roberts.

ragedracer

First, CONGRATS!! Glad it got you home in one piece! Siskiyou pass is tough. I took it in an RV in October. Not lots of fun.

This might sound stupid, but did you have both of the underdash vents closed? Little round knobs just above the kick panels. If either of these is open, it pretty much kills all heat.

If not that, then you've got another issue. Mine blows hot air even at -4.

Josh

Gota love the pass down there. Driven it many, many times. This summer I plan on taking the deuce there towing roughly 10,000lbs. Should make for a nice slow scenic drive.

Hal O'Peridol

Gota love the pass down there. Driven it many, many times. This summer I plan on taking the deuce there towing roughly 10,000lbs. Should make for a nice slow scenic drive.
Got any pictures?
First, Congratulations!

Second, Where's the beef er uhh pictures?
This thread is worthless without pics... :)

Pics may have to wait........the M1009 is currently sitting in the parking lot at my workplace with a dead battery! Drove it last night and noticed the Gen light was lighting up, the faster I drove, the brighter it was. Got to work and parked it, went out to go home and........nothing! Checked the alternator belt and it had a lot of slack in it, which it did not have previously, I guess the old belt was on it's last legs from being old. Put new belt on, will see about getting it jumped this afternoon after work.

I may not be remembering correctly on the underdash vents......knovb forward is closed....knob pulled back is open..correct?

Scarecrow1

Nice way to start a long term relation ship first she yells at you when she blew the tire , made you doubt your man hood by making you call for help . Then she puts you to walking home alone man all I can say is ............ Your among friends................. Welcome to the world of green

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks