• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

just got the M1008 running

84cucv1ton

got it for 900. missing a bunch of small things. x mass morning while i was waiting for family. i got a lot of the little stuff from what i have laying around and put it on. was parked because the injection pump went bad. here is what i dont get.
hook up batteries to see if it cranks. bit of cranking it started. i moved it around the yard it bit. not much.. truck is loud with no mufflers. seem to pretty good.

do these pumps just fail?? or do there were out over time? my old m1009 died when something broke apart in the pump. would not even start.

thanks guys

Scarecrow1

Well there was a cool Christmas present. Sounds like it may not be the problem I take it you mean the fuel Right???? Did you check the filter first to see if it was gummed up ....

CUCV85

got it for 900. missing a bunch of small things. x mass morning while i was waiting for family. i got a lot of the little stuff from what i have laying around and put it on. was parked because the injection pump went bad. here is what i dont get.
hook up batteries to see if it cranks. bit of cranking it started. i moved it around the yard it bit. not much.. truck is loud with no mufflers. seem to pretty good.

do these pumps just fail?? or do there were out over time? my old m1009 died when something broke apart in the pump. would not even start.

thanks guys
Have the IP rebuilt, they start by leaking at the throttle shaft. You end up taking it all apart replacing those o rings and then your pump fails soon after anyways. If it's a rebuild already then that's your call. If it's the original IP and it's 25 years old UM-MM yeah rebuild Preventive Maintenance.

84cucv1ton

didnt have a filter. was one of the parts that was gone.. im going to get it rebuilt i was just wondering about can they just crap out all the way and stop you dead or does it take a while. trying to find a 4911 pump. didnt know they sold for that much more.

CUCV85

Run it a bit then before you do the take off process. Look for fuel in the Valley on top of the motor. This is the indication of bad o rings on the IP throttle shaft.
The Fuel Filter is an AC Delco TP 1006 Advance Auto parts for $16.00
Your best to just get this one the rest of us have purchased!
This IS the one without the Stupid unnecessary fuel pressure sensor!
http://oem-surplus.com/gmwp/gmc.htm?...vy+fuel+filter
54.99 plus 12.88 shipping part number 12471725
and it comes Brand New, Damage Free with Fuel Filter Base & Bracket PLUS a Stanadyne Filter straight to you in a GM Factory Box.
The fuel pressure Sensor is a completely BOGUS Military Set up.
Your Water in Fuel Light will work, just plug in.
Your Fuel Heater will work, just plug in.
You'll have a completely brand new factory/military setup MINUS BS prone to leaking Fuel pressure sensor. I look at it like preventive Maintenance like flushing your coolant, changing transmission filter and fluid ETC.

Last edited:

Screamin' Metal

Run it a bit then before you do the take off process. Look for fuel in the Valley on top of the motor. This is the indication of bad o rings on the IP throttle shaft. The filter is a AC Delco tp1006 at Advance Auto parts or your choice of parts store 16.00.
Your best to just get the one the rest of us have purchased!
The one without the sensor!
http://oem-surplus.com/gmwp/gmc.htm?...vy+fuel+filter
54.99 plus 12.88 shipping part number 12471725
and it comes damage free with Stanadyne Filter in a GM Factory Box.
The Sensor is completely BOGUS Military Set up.
Your Water in Fuel Light will work, just plug in.
The Fuel Heater "MIGHT" work HAHAHA
again just plug in - and Roll Out...

What he said......:-D

CUCV85

didnt have a filter. was one of the parts that was gone.. im going to get it rebuilt i was just wondering about can they just crap out all the way and stop you dead or does it take a while. trying to find a 4911 pump. didnt know they sold for that much more.
YES they can crap out on you.
Sometimes you'll get a warning like hard starts, No power.
Mine ended up starting then as soon as I tried to move it - it would die.
I had the Original DB2 Injection Pump rebuilt at
Ralph's Diesel Service
3202 Route 20 East, Cazenovia, NY Phone: (315) 655-3702
It was very scored up inside.
They put a bigger advance piston in it, ETC. Total Rebuild.
and now it runs like a ra pp ed ape! :grin:
These Fellas - The Dad "Ralph" Sons "Mike & Skip"
have hundreds of these Injection Pumps!
They work on Stanadyne John Deere systems from Next door.

CUCV85

okay so were would be the best place to purchase new alternators because of the system that is on it calls for 100amp alternators were should i go!
:arrow:Have the original one(s) rebuilt,
100.00 is the going rate.
Tell them that they have an "Isolated Ground" stud.
They will see the setup inside, there is a isolating ground washer that separates the alternator from contact(s)
Did you try switching them out?
They are identical just hook up different on each side!
Sometimes the bulb is blown Gen 1 and Gen 2 indicator in the dash.
Sometimes it a loose belt or warn belt.
Many have just switched the alternators and self diagnosed issues.:idea: