• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Just ignore this

A059FMJ5.56MM

Ok i am new and trying to see how things go. If your read this my M109 Shop van will not start for some reason. I am NOT repeat NOT a mechanic (or a good speller) but i got the truck for a good price and all last year it started fine. Winter rolled in and one day went out to start it and the Starter just goes CLUNK, like it hit a brick wall any ideas.

A059FMJ5.56MM

Thanks

Yeah tried that but didnt seem to work, a budy told me to get a volt meter and check what the batts were holding and what was reaching the starter. Then he said maybe the motor froze up and to try to turn it by hand. Front of the flywheel or use the teeth on the ring gear. (that meant nothing to me) so he talks me under the truck and says look for where the transmission conects to the motor...I found this little hole but no teeth just smooth. to get to the flywheel i would have to move the radiator there is only about a inch of space. You know picking up a big truck seems cool, but it should come with a warning label..IN fact GL should pu this on your bill...will cause you to make new friends, will cost lots of time and money, will make you learn stuff you never would have befor. I am sure i will learn tons with this in my driveway.

goldneagle

Yeah tried that but didnt seem to work, a budy told me to get a volt meter and check what the batts were holding and what was reaching the starter. Then he said maybe the motor froze up and to try to turn it by hand. Front of the flywheel or use the teeth on the ring gear. (that meant nothing to me) so he talks me under the truck and says look for where the transmission conects to the motor...I found this little hole but no teeth just smooth. to get to the flywheel i would have to move the radiator there is only about a inch of space. You know picking up a big truck seems cool, but it should come with a warning label..IN fact GL should pu this on your bill...will cause you to make new friends, will cost lots of time and money, will make you learn stuff you never would have befor. I am sure i will learn tons with this in my driveway.
I would also check the connections to the battery and the main ground to the engine or frame. The connections could be loose or dirty. Carefully remove the clamps from battery terminals and use a wire brush or a brush designed for battery terminal.

A059FMJ5.56MM

Pull start

I thought about this but i need two people for that task. My mechanic promissed to check it this week. If he starts it I will ensure whatever the issue is it doenst happen again. Just becauswe the truck is almost 40 years old doesnt mean it shouldnt work.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So, was that your M109 at the shop on RT3 near Sackets Harbor?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks