• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Just in time GL MEP-017A (with only 65 hours)

pwogaman

My first post here! This looks like a great place to share and learn.

Following our loss of power for 3 1/2 days after the duracho, I purchased a MEP-017A with only 65 hours on it from GL at Fort Meade for just over $300. At first I suspected the low time simply meant the hours meter had been replaced at some point, but after looking it over first hand I don't believe that to be the case.

Unfortunately its not my first GL purchase. I've been buying all kinds of junk from them that I never even knew I needed. Heck, I've even actually used some of the stuff. But that is a whole bunch of other stories.

From what I can tell from the genset, it was part of the New Jersey National Guard Disaster Assistance Team (they could really use it now). With only 65 hours, I suspect it was only fired up for maintenance and the occasional inspection. In fact, it looks like it was recently overhauled, painted, and stocked with spare consumables (filters, etc.).

Well, we lost power again during hurricane Sandy for about 35 hours. I fired up the genset and it worked like a champ throughout, we even did some laundry; although, we did power it down at night in deference to our neighbors.

I came away with two distinct impressions about it: it is loud and it is thirsty!!

The only area of concern operationally was the frequency was running a bit high and fluctuating up and down a point (the TM says it should be within 0.5 of 60 - it was not). I suspect I might need to get myself a frequency converter. I'd also like to fit some acoustic barriers and add in a 240 volt twistlock outlet (with a neutral), but for the latter I'll first need to do some more research on the necessary wiring mods.

Anyway, here are some pics.

Last edited:

jbk

i still have my 017. check the gov/carb. linkage somtimes if it sticks it can make the freq. eng. speed fluckuate. the ones with the bronze bearing are junk it binds up. the one you wont has a steel insert. just turn it to 120/208 3 phase use any two for your house. saturn surpkus will have any parts you need. good looken set.

jdgatton

Nice Genny!!

I just picked one up at Camp Shelby, MS that was built in 1967 and only had 315 hours on it. I fixed a clogged fuel line and jumped it off with my CUCV and I am in business! It isn't the prettiest thing, but it runs and puts out the juice.

I noticed in one of your pictures you have an extra oil filter in the tool box. When you get a chance, would you mind passing on any part numbers or NSN that may be on it??

The fuel filter looks to be a long quadrajet type.

I just ran across this on another forum...."turn your set to 240 single phase attach a piece of 6 gauge wire from the back of the lo output lug to s1-6 on the rotary switch. this will get 120/240 full power. check the gov. to carb. linkage any binding and it wont work right. "

Last edited:

edgephoto

My MEP-017A ran great until last week. Now,it will run ONLY if I put the EMERGENCY RUN/STOP SWITCH in EMERGENCY RUN. Anyone know Why?
I would have to guess that there is an oil pressure switch. If there is no oil pressure or the switch is bed this may be your issue. I do not know much about your model but does the TM show an oil pressure switch?