• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Just inherited a m35a2 and need some assistance.

rustystud

Rusty, what do you consider to be over revving? I am somewhat new to driving the deuce, and always downshift and take advantage of engine compression braking.
What gimpyrobb said. Don't go over 2200 RPM's. Remember that your engine is being stressed differently when used to brake versus being powered by itself (compression firing in the cylinders) . Think connecting rods being "pulled" instead of "compressed" .

daytonatrbo

What gimpyrobb said. Don't go over 2200 RPM's. Remember that your engine is being stressed differently when used to brake versus being powered by itself (compression firing in the cylinders) . Think connecting rods being "pulled" instead of "compressed" .
The connecting rods are never pulled. There's no throttle plate, theres no engine braking by vacuum.

The engine braking happens when the pistons compress the intake charge, but there's insufficient fuel for a combustion event, so theres no power added to the crank, only lost to pumping.

Unless the turbo is producing enough boost to offset, the cylinders (not intake) are under vacuum on the intake stroke. A piston going down pulls more air than an intake valve can flow. I know I am nitpicking, also just going down the rods are pulled buy piston and cylinder wall friction. Again as long as the boost is low enough not to push down on the piston. Again nitpicking.

rustystud

The connecting rods are never pulled. There's no throttle plate, theres no engine braking by vacuum.

The engine braking happens when the pistons compress the intake charge, but there's insufficient fuel for a combustion event, so theres no power added to the crank, only lost to pumping.
When there is no "charge" of fuel then what is making the rods go down ? It's from the crank which is basically "pulling" the pistons down. I learned this in "Tech" college, Engines 101 . This is also used as a diagnostics tool when trying to find loose wrist pins on pistons. The engine will make a different sound and the wrist pins will make a noise that can be heard.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks