• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Just my luck. PMCS fuel housing leak.

gunboy1656

I was getting my truck ready for an upcoming move from my house. Got a load of stuff ready to take over to my dad's house to store until we find another place to move into.

Yesterday after work I went out to get truck PMCS'd, I noticed a fuel leak out of the primary fuel filter housing. It was not coming from the drain valve. This morning I pulled the housing off only to find a small pin hole just off to the side. That was the first time I have seen a hole there. So now starts the search of new housing.

On another topic, I may be getting an M38a1 in the near future. just have to see what deal we can make with the owner.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I think clintogf has one on her parts truck. I'll look this afternoon.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
braze up the hole, this will get you going till you get another housing

gunboy1656

We had thought about doing that, but then figured if one part of the metal weakened, the rest might not be far behind. Luckily the truck is not needed right away, but will be soon. Right now we can't find a place to move to that is why we are hauling the non essentials over to my dads for now.

Stinks when the truck gives no troubles when you don't need the truck, but now when I do it it starts acting up.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Please post pics of the bad housing, when you get it out.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Sorry, got busy yesterday (front axle boots on a truck about to be delivered) and forgot to reply.

Parts truck does have the filter housing still on the frame. Think the can is here somewhere too.

Have no idea what it's worth................. $20 + shipping (at cost)?

gunboy1656

Clinto,

I may have found one close, will let you know later tonight if I still need it or not.

DH,

Here is the pic of the can that was the culprit of the leak. I had noticed the leak before firing it up, but it was not a major leak. Read a class 2 leak (drip showing but not on ground). Once I fired it up all heck broke loose, once I saw the leak I shut it down right away.

The hole is to the front of the truck.

Attachments

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gunboy,

Hope you got your housing issue fixed.

Maybe others can chime in on my issue. I just started PMCS on mine getting ready for a 75 mile trip next week and I've got a steady Class 3 leak from my Primary Filter (power on draining the filter). It appears to be coming from the fitting at the top of the housing. Is there any kind of O-ring or gasket with the fitting? It may just need to be tightened but I didn't want to cinch down on it for a temporary fix only to find out something else is wrong 50 miles in to my trip

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I noticed when I took my can off there is a thin gasket around the top.
It appears mine is leaking at the fitting where the fuel line goes in to the top that the can screws in to. I think I'll just try tightening it and then keep checking it every day this week with the power on.

Last edited:

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well the fitting is on so tight I can't even budge it but I apparently wiggled the line and caused an even bigger problem. It's now gushing out of where the line goes in to the fitting when I hit the power.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The -20 doesn't really give a good view of the fuel line end. Is there a compression fitting inside the part that screws in to the elbow?

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Turns out the copper line did have a stress crack around the bottom of the flare at the end that connects to the filter. Keith_J and TexAndy were out and we got that pulled, flared a new piece of copper, reinstalled and then tested everything. No leaks! It also took care of the obligatory flat spot from a GL fork lift so alls good. I still need to paint it but at least the deuce is functional again.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks