• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Just picked up a 2009 MEP-803A

craigc

I have the 803A on a trailer and went over it briefly, I think I lucked out somewhat. Then I dug around in the bottom and found numerous pieces.

- I think all the relays are there and correct. will read a lot more to be sure.
- found it has the fuse mod already, I think :)
- There were all the parts for the battery hold-downs and both tubs.
- the lug wrench was there and a unused Aux fuel line coiled up in the front door.
- found 2 ground rods ? mounted up under the skid.
- the 3 gauges that can be lit are and have bulbs in them.
- all the filters have 2014 hand written on them, air filter looks brand new.

Anyone know what these are? found them laying in the bottom of the genset.
IMG_20161213_1359261.jpg

IMG_20161213_1354226.jpgIMG_20161213_1352011.jpgIMG_20161213_1351326.jpgIMG_20161213_1350371.jpgIMG_20161213_1339289.jpgIMG_20161213_1339184.jpgIMG_20161213_1250068.jpgIMG_20161213_1249595.jpgIMG_20161213_1354383.jpg

Last edited:

craigc

Thanks again, I've edited the first post to correct that. It seems to be ok so far but we'll find out for sure once all the fluids and filters are changed out and a really good going over. I am wondering what is going on with the wires that are pulled from the bundle in the pictures. These are the batteries I'm hoping will work well in this unit[h=1]Duracell AGM Automotive Battery - Group Size 34/78[/h]

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The batteries that seem to fit best are Group 51.

Edit - I can report that Group 24 batteries do not fit and are the same basic dimensions of Group 34.

Last edited:

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I suspect they are there to prevent the nuts from getting lost when they are fully unscrewed from the stud.

A better picture... (click to zoom in)
lug1.jpg

Last edited:

csheath

Nice looking unit.

I will have to look under my skid for a ground rod. My documents had an inventory list saying my unit had a 3 piece rod and 6 AWG cable but I didn't find it.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks again, I've edited the first post to correct that. It seems to be ok so far but we'll find out for sure once all the fluids and filters are changed out and a really good going over. I am wondering what is going on with the wires that are pulled from the bundle in the pictures. These are the batteries I'm hoping will work well in this unitDuracell AGM Automotive Battery - Group Size 34/78
Howdy,
MEP-802A 5kw generator
The military is currently using Optima Yellowtop 51R batteries x 2 in series for the 24 volt system

MEP-803A 10kw generator
The military is currently using Optima Redtop 34/78 batteries x 2 in series for the 24 volt system

Use whatever battery you want. AGM batteries cost more, but, whatever style you want to buy.

craigc

Thanks, I had read that but the Optima batteries are not as good as their price would seem. I plan on keeping the genset so I will use a good quality AGM battery that's equivalent to the Optima batteries.

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk

csheath

I stuck group 24 marine start batteries in mine. They fit the pans perfect but just barely contact the two unused mount tabs on the block. I put a piece of cardboard between the tabs and batteries but I may pull them out and grind those tabs down a little. They sure spin the heck out of it.

TrailLifeBill

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very nice genset!! Mine had the 2 ground rod sections on the skid also, but didn't have the driver and couplers. I have a store bought rod, but at some point I think I'd like to pick up an original set.

craigc

Very nice genset!! Mine had the 2 ground rod sections on the skid also, but didn't have the driver and couplers. I have a store bought rod, but at some point I think I'd like to pick up an original set.
Thanks I think I got Lucky, I would also like to find the driver and couplers. Have to read and see I I can find the part numbers.

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk

csheath

Found the 3 ground rods on mine but no sign of the couplers and cable. Inventory sheet showing my unit had this complete as well as a long auxiliary fuel hose and the bung adapter. It has the hose and adapter but the tube for the adapter is not to be found either.

ground-rod.jpg

Triton

My adapters, ground wire, and hammer are missing as well, others on the site have said they would use them and leave the rods in the ground. Makes sense but I would like to replace them as well.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks