• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Just picked up a MEP-531A

Rico

i Just picked up a MEP-531A and it needs some work. Here are a few pictures of it.

View attachment 550121View attachment 550122View attachment 550120View attachment 550123View attachment 550124

I want to replace the 24 Volt starter with a 12 Volt starter. I also need a air filter cover. A very generous member supplied me with the parts that I needed and some extras to go with it. I plan to document the installation of the 12 Volt starter.
First remove the 2 wires from 24 Volt starter. Remove the 2 mounting bolts that hold the starter to the engine case, The bolts require a 15MM socket with a 6" extension. See pictures below. The starter could not be removed because the back of the starter would touch the generator. The flywheel cover was removed and I saw that the flywheel was preventing the starter from being removed.
This is how I removed the flywheel. Removed the 3 10MM head bolts that held the pulley starter to the flywheel. I marked the flywheel nut and crank so that I could tighten it back close to factory spec. If any one has torque specifications on this motor please forward them to me and I will post them. Flywheel nut was loosened 4 turns using a 24 MM socket. I did not remove to nut all the way so that when the flywheel was pulled off it would fall on the ground.
An automotive harmonic balancer was used to loosen the flywheel.
After removing the puller the flywheel nut was removed and the flywheel washer was removed.
Once flywheel was removed the original starter was removed and the new 12 Volt starter was installed.
The flywheel was installed, make sure that the crank key lines up with the keyway on in the flywheel.
Install flywheel washer and tighten the flywheel nut back to the marks that were marked in the beginning.
Install the rest of the parts removed.
Connect the 2 wires back to the starter.
I don't have a slave plug yet so I put jumper cables to the starter and used the original switch to start the generator.

I cannot figure out how to add a movie clip.

Attachments

Last edited: