• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Just picked up my M101A2

TITANBOW

Hello, another new guy here. I purchased an M101A2 recently from a GovPlanet auction; just drove down to Arkansas this weekend to pick it up. Thanks to the wealth of information on this site, I had everything I needed to get it, and the trip back to Colorado was uneventful.
As you can see from the pic, my wife already had some chores in mind by the time I got home. My plans are to use this mainly as a cargo hauler for camping and hunting trips. I'd like to get to a point where all my gear is organized and either packed in the trailer, or easily packed into the trailer. I do want to keep open the option of using the trailer for yard work, hauling stuff to the dump, or anything that might come up.

Here is a list of things that I am going to tackle in the short term:
New tires - the tires that were on it were dry rotted pretty bad. They held air fine, but they definitely need to go.

Hubs/bearings - The hubs ran cool the whole time back to Colorado, but I would feel better if I clean everything up and repack the bearings.

Lights - Still contemplating on just swapping bulbs in the original 24v lighting, or going with completely separate lights. Can you run 1156 LED bulbs in the original light fixtures?

Re-painting - The trailer is in good shape, but there is some rust and flaking CARC. I'm thinking I will just sand off all the rust and feather in the chipped paint and just paint over the CARC ? How hard is it to disassemble one of these things? Is it something a guy could do on his own in his garage?

Cover/Tarp - I'm still thinking about this one. I was planning on painting the trailer a dark grey so a black top would look nice. I was thinking about getting the bow elbows and cutting down the bows so it was not so tall, and having a local tent/canvas place make a custom tarp for it. I figured it shouldnt cost more than a few hundred for that. Im also going to incorporate some load carrying capacity in the bows so I can carry my canoe on top.

Anyways, lots of work to get this thing to the hunting/camping companion that I have in my mind!

IMG_0584.jpg

dmetalmiki

Welcome to the site, (and now) A nice military "thing" would be great to tow and use that trailer with, and to make it feel at home. And give you (and the other half) a really involved hobby.

escher

Nice! I picked my A1 up last week and have put a lot of hours into it already... I have the older rims/tires so I'm dealing with that ATM..

As to lighting - You can just swap the bulbs - not sure of the bulb numbers but a search here will get that for you. I just added marker lights and tied into the harness.. took a couple of hours - but now I'm *almost* 100% DOT compliant.. just need the License light. If you are missing the doors as mentioned above - I'd recommend getting them - they are super nice and really complete the package.

Welcome from another (somewhat) new guy!

Blueegg

Welcome to the military trailer club.

It was a coupe of years ago and I went the same thoughts.

My experiences recommend:
Replace dry rotted tires. Don't wait until you have a blowout. I now carry a spare.
Inspect and repack your hubs! Replace races and bearings as needed.
You can replace the 24V bulbs with 12V bulbs but I replaced mine with 12-30V LEDs.
You likely need to repaint
Bows and Staves are available.
You likely can get a military cover for much less money than a custom cover.

3dAngus

Bulbs to be used are 1156 and 97s
Cheapest way to wire is to fetch a 4 pin flat connector with 6 feet of wire.
I just cut it off Harbor Freights $10 magnetic lights and keep the lights as spares.

Remove cover plate off A frame exposing the twelve pin connector interconnect and remove cable you can sell the cable and connector to pay for all your parts.

Wire brown to pin 21 - parking lights
White goes to same ground on chassis
Green goes to 22-460 right signal
Yellow goes to 22-451 left signal
If you go with LEDS ON THE TURN SIGNAL, YOU MIGHT HAVE TO ALSO INSTALL A LOAD RESISTOR
different vehicles sense them differently. Just using the 1156 removes any uncertainty

After you do the first one, the second one only takes 5-10 minutes with tools out.
You will find the 12v will light up the existing 24v incandescent bulbs, but they are to dim to be safe on the road at night. Still, the side lights at 24 v bulbs being dim should work out, but you have to change out the taillight bulbs.
The LEDs are 1/8 the price on your favorite auction site. 8X's more for the same LED lamp made in China stuff at O'Reilleys

Last edited: