• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Just Picked Up the M816 Wrecker!

joestewart

OK, I went out there today and hooked up some civilian batteries to it. The motor spins freely with the starter, BUT NO START! I disconnected the fuel line distal to that huge fuel filter under the driver's side front fender - thats the engine side of the filter. The fuel line was BONE DRY! I'm not too familiar with the M809 series trucks, so as I'm studying the fuel lines, I notice that there is NO FUEL PUMP, mechanical or electric. I guess I need to study the technical manual, but if someone could give me the quick answer: How is fuel pumped from the fuel tank to the injection pump?

Tomorrow, I am going to rig up a temporary tank and put a 12volt fuel pump on it to force fuel into the injection pump. I'll see what happens. Any input appreciated! Joe Stewart

wsucougarx

Uhh, who cares about what wasn't in the toolbox. Your truck looks awesome!!! Good catch. This is definately a not a fish story of what got away. BZ

area52

Hey Joe,

there is no in tank fuel pump so if the fuel lines have any leaks that suck air, you will have a fuel delivery problem.

Check all your fuel lines and the selector valve too.

redass73

Hey Joe.
welcome to Steel Soldiers.
you will find your wrecker very handy to have around.,as far as fuel lines go I had to replace the one from the injector pump to the fuel filter. good luck ,you have a great looking truck..

madsam

Actually if I was to work on this type of thing again, I would do things in this order:

1. Chose your best tank.
2. Make sure there is clean new fuel in that tank.
3. Replace all rubber fuel lines from the good tank to the engine.
4. Make sure all bleeder screws are closed. (At least one near the fuel filter. )
5. Make sure the manual fuel shut of is on under the hood. (does not reset from inside the cab.)

But this is just my opinion.

Barrman

You will be amazed at what the stock 60 amp alternator does to supposedly dead and gone batteries. We picked up 4 trucks in OKC last weekend. Going up there we knew that two of the trucks had bad batteries. One was missing batteries and box. We brought an old rusted out box, terminal ends and two dead sitting in the dirt for a year tractor batteries just to connect the leads to so the truck would run. 12 hours of running later and the truck cranked up by itself on those "dead" batteries.

Check the fuel shut off above the gauges. Make sure you reset it under the hood as pointed out in a few post above.

joestewart

Hey thanks for all the replies! I checked out the manual section on this website. What a great resourceF!

I went out there again today and rigged up a temporary fuel tank up on the driver's side fender and I put an electric fuel pump on it. I also reset that switch on top of the injection pump (thank you for pointing this thing out!). It cranked right up! Within 5 minutes of running, we ran out of the 2-1/2 gallons of diesel I had in that temporary tank. I forgot that the return line was sending fuel back to the wrecker's fuel tanks. I refilled the temp tank twice and we were able to operate the crane to yank out a post that was obstructing the gate into the barn. After that, I pulled it under the roof of the barn and shut down.

Now I can approach the various challenges at leisure and under the roof.

I'm getting ready to install some video cameras to keep an eye on it while I'm not there (wrecker is at my rural property which is about 5 miles from my home).

Again, thanks for all the help! I'm looking forward to enjoying the big wrecker! joe stewart

dmetalmiki

nice truck

Wish I could obtain the bumper vise you have on it! what make is it? does it just swivel or rotate as well? (as I thought they were for splicing the winch ropes mainly?) (it has a cummins engine?) my M62 has the multi fuel 5ton engine with a "C" whistling turbo..looks and SOUNDS impressive!. My engine is fitted with a prelube pump so eliminating the dreaded no oil on start up! runs 15psi before hitting the button!.

Attachments

dmetalmiki

vise

there was one on front of mine (when viewed in daylight) collected at night ..noticed vise missing 2 days later. dishonest W...R said the vise wasnt with it. this hobby does NOT need rip off t..s like him!

joestewart

I checked the vice today. It is indeed a Wilton. Not sure what size, but it is big. It appears to have the capacity to swivel, but there are two huge nuts holding it in place and it looks like it has not swiveled in a long time (paint is solid between the top and bottom parts of the vice). I guess this vice would be a prime target for thieves. I will be working on my video surveillance in earnest.

pevrs114

Throw a canvas cover or an old 5 gallon bucket over the vice.

What can't be seen every day as a thief drives by, can't tempt him to sneak over one night and steal it.

ETA - There's a 5 ton wrecker for sale on Ebay right now, selling 'for parts or scrap', located in SC. Maybe someone here can use the parts or split them up amongst the wrecker owners. I'd LOVE to own an M816.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks