• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Just purchased 1991 Humvee M998

dalatman

I also just purchased 1991 Humvee M998 with soft top and NO doors!
I am looking to convert it to Hard top with metal doors.
If anyone knows where I can buy the metal doors please let me know
Also the transmission is leaking what should I do? Change for new one or buying a seal for it?

Thanks for all inputs

DP

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I also just purchased 1991 Humvee M998 with soft top and NO doors!
I am looking to convert it to Hard top with metal doors.
If anyone knows where I can buy the metal doors please let me know
Also the transmission is leaking what should I do? Change for new one or buying a seal for it?

Thanks for all inputs

DP
no need to replace a trans cuz it leaks...they can leak from a few known points. Get it clean and see where the leak is coming from...the hardest to repair is the shaft seal for the torque converter...that requires the tranny comes out, but is a,10min job once out. Also,make sure it's trans and not oil..if it's a 6.2motor, the rear main seals leak.

greenjeepster

When I have a leaking trans on anything I just dump fluid in it from time to time. If it sat a long time the seals may have dried out or shrunk some and once running and heated back up may seal up again.

KansasBobcat

Looks pretty nice. Drive a hardtop before you invest. The visibility is much better out of the one you just bought. Be prepared to spend a few thousand on the project...I know!

Whiterabbit

If you ever looked under the seats of a Hmmwv in service you always found a few qrts of engine oil and trans fluid stashed.
They all leak a lil' bit, that's why the first thing you did prior to using it was your PMCS. Check the fluids, then check for junk that fell off. LOL!

KansasBobcat

OK my opinion. The hardtop/slantbacks are very popular and many of the M998 from 1999 auction have been converted. Think about restoring your HMMWV as it sits and was used by the military. This would be the low cost way to go and would be, hopefully collectible at some point. As I indicated in a previous post, you will spend plenty on normal repairs and cosmetic improvements without adding hardtop, etc. I guess I am suggesting a "motorpool" restoration now, before you lose interest and you can always do other changes in the future. I know you want to be driving it as soon as possible. I am not your dad but this is what I would do. I have a fear of losing interest in a long term project. It is hard to sell any vehicle that is in pieces!

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice truck.....looks like its at Barstow......about 75 miles from me.
If you need stuff for it, I have alot.

NEIOWA

Has never been a hardtop that didn't leak around the turret ring anyhow. Unless want to play Rommel/rat patrol stay with the softtop.

2w091

Does the stenciled star on the front and tailgate mean the vehicle was refurbished during the HMMWV recapitalization program?

KansasBobcat

Does the stenciled star on the front and tailgate mean the vehicle was refurbished during the HMMWV recapitalization program?
Do not know the answer but my M998 from Atlanta auction had stenciled USMC, reg. number, no step, etc but no decals and no stars. The USMC did not do the stars from what I have read. I would look at the data plate and the serial number stamped on it. If the date does not match the serial number then something has been done to it. Military vehicles are constantly being modified, etc. The HMMWV book has yet to be written...perhaps we can all help.

2w091

I know when I looked at one in 2012 it had been rebuilt in 2009, it had the star. There was also at least one (from what I remember) triangular shaped metal chit added to the data plate reflecting the rebuild. I did some reasearch and found this stock number 2320-01-371-9579 listed as a refurbed M1026, it had the 6.5L and 4 speed transmission, on a 1980's frame and chassis. The pillars and some other body components were replaced as well from what I understand.

Last edited:

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The star is US army, not used on MC trucks....also, only marine corp trucks get fording kits, Army, air force do not, so if no wet kit, it's Army.while others may have seen a variance to this, I have not...and all the services vehicles go through me before they ever get to the ramp of a C17,C5 or C130.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The only thing for certain, as that everything is uncertain....If I could take pics of the some of the weird, unexplainable things I have seen on HMMWV's, I could write a book. for example....X-Doors on M1152's...why?