• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Just purchased 99 m998 and can’t start

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
IMO, I would work one problem at a time to a successful repair. Those keyed switch can be problematic and there's no need to be going in circles on an already electrical issue. (I get it... switch is new, you know what your doing, only three wires, what could go wrong?)

There can be a lot of checking / testing / familiarization reading the TM's, while waiting for new $$$ parts that might not be needed.

AND a great learning experience adding to the hobby, CAMO

Dayron84

I had an occasional blinking start light. Installed new grounding harness and hasn’t happened since. Not positive that it’s fixed but so far so good. Fired up yesterday at 40 degrees no problem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

G3isMe

Steel Soldiers Supporter
IMO, I would work one problem at a time to a successful repair. Those keyed switch can be problematic and there's no need to be going in circles on an already electrical issue. (I get it... switch is new, you know what your doing, only three wires, what could go wrong?...")
I agree with you about isolating the problem. And those switches are often the cause of the problems in many of the posts I have read on this site. I have a brand new one sitting on the shelf that I purchased. I then happened upon several threads on here about them being problematic and hence didn't even waste my time installing it.

Last edited:

08hmmwv

Finally got her started, all I did was replace those damn glow plugs that were a nightmare cause one broke but I carefully took it out with 45 degree needle nose pliers through the injector. The alternator was quite a headache since I was by myself and it weighs about 85lbs. I also found out that many of the injector return lines were disconnected and old so ordered some hoses to replace those. I put the batteries back and turned the key while praying that the wait light comes and it did! This truck rocks and it runs like it just came out of the showroom, I Love this thing. Thank you all for the help.

Btw I had no patience so I purchased a nortron smart start system for 300 thinking iT was definitely a control box issue. Is it something worth keeping on the side just in case ?

Last edited:

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can have it once I figure how to remove it without cutting it, would you like to purchase the antenna ?
I very well might, I'm in the process of getting my Ham license (just got back from class actually) so I'm very interested if the price is right.

kzeyus

Btw I had no patience so I purchased a nortron smart start system for 300 thinking iT was definitely a control box issue. Is it something worth keeping on the side just in case ?

Yes, worth having a spare and $300 sounds like a good price these days

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congrats on getting it running. Finish the preventative maintenance and put her through the paces.
BDGR

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks