• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

just purchased an m116a3 in Portsmouth va - any tips for retrieving it?

zarathustra

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just looking for any helpful hints at picking this up. Since I'll be driving across Virginia and West Virginia, do I need some sort of temporary Virginia tag or something?

Any hints would be welcome -- never purchased from the GL before

thanks

z

Cruceno

That place isn't the easiest to get in and out of for most people. Do you have DOD stickers on your recovery vehicle? If you do, that'll make it a lot easier. If NOT then you'll have to spend a few hours at the security office to get a pass. They also keep short hours with a long lunch. Definitely call them ahead of time to get an idea of their hours. Don't be surprised if they aren't very friendly...

braddrummond

Are you towing it home or hauling it on a trailer? If your towing it, You will need a transport tag and lights. And like Cruceno mentioned, plan on spending a few hours getting a base pass and the trailer.

3dAngus

Most states give you time (30 days) to get a tag with the right paperwork. Just be sure to get a signed release from GL with the paperwork, or paid in full invoice and keep it in the vehicle.
You could still get pulled over, and I have with over 30 trailers purchased in multiple states, but the LEO's are mostly just curious, and want to make sure you didn't steal it from a military base and always like to talk about them, so be friendly, courteous, and informative. I have never gotten a ticket with the three times I got pulled over by different agencies. You do need to have some magnetic lights hooked up though, a spare tire is nice, and a set of new bearings are nice, but I rarely go with anything other then a lug wrench and a spare, and a tank of air.

zarathustra

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mission Accomplished!!

Trailer towed beautifully - tires were very low, but once inflated it was a non-event kinda trip home. Trailer is now sitting next to the barn awaiting me to make some room for it inside...

Special thanks and shout out to Steel Soldiers member "Cruceno" for his assistance in this -- the process was a lot easier because of him

z

zoltarp

Would you mind passing that info on? I am picking up my first auction item on thursday from Portsmouth. I won a MEP002A gen set and will be taking a trailer up there to retrieve it. Thanks

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks