• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Just purchased and await delivery of M1102 with fiberglass top. Wanna make a camper.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Two threads
Same trailer
You're correct, as is Doghead… Got caught up in the moment, and forgot TOS.

Thanks for merging the threads Doghead!

Aerial view after securing loose bolt and pulling her home. She pulls and stops great. Almost don't feel her when driving, even with 8 12 bolt tires and a load of other properly secured parts inside:

thumbnail_IMG_8953.jpg

Now I gotta get her ready for spring and summer camping and fishing.

I'm following a few of the other "camper" threads but I might go another way. Thinking pop-top tent with side canopy and grill attachment and clear and grey water system or compost potty with 200 gallons potable H2O.

Still planning stage so might radically change.

T

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's funny how exciting it can be when buy or receive such stuff, huh?

Forget or can't think clearly and bursting with excitement and ready to share it here on the site!

[thumbzup]

BadRobot

You're correct, as is Doghead… Got caught up in the moment, and forgot TOS.

Thanks for merging the threads Doghead!

Aerial view after securing loose bolt and pulling her home. She pulls and stops great. Almost don't feel her when driving, even with 8 12 bolt tires and a load of other properly secured parts inside:

View attachment 754543

Now I gotta get her ready for spring and summer camping and fishing.

I'm following a few of the other "camper" threads but I might go another way. Thinking pop-top tent with side canopy and grill attachment and clear and grey water system or compost potty with 200 gallons potable H2O.

Still planning stage so might radically change.

T
You will feel like you pull a parachute behind. My mpg dropped from 16mpg to 9mpg when pull M1102 with the topper. Enjoy while the gas is cheap.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I haven't seen paint mentioned yet, so my 2cents -

I've been happily using Gillespie paint from Rapco for about 18 years on all my stuff. Good paint, good durability (as in I haven't had to repaint stuff I painted 15+ years ago, except the black, which like all black paints fades to dark grey eventually).
Colour match is good next to original CARC paint, it is just a lot smoother. It looks too shiny at first after application, but in a week or so dulls down to flat.

Rapco puts the same paint in the spray cans as the gallons, so no problem matching if you use both.
The high particulate in the paint makes the spray cans a bit finicky to use at times, but the paint is very good.
The spray paint likes to be quite warm - here in Texas I leave the can out in the sun for 30 minutes before I go shake the devil out of it (minimum 2 minutes of vigorous shaking before spraying, then a good shake every couple of minutes while using). Others in less beastly heat areas have good luck sitting the can in a pot of warm water.

Nice trailer!

Cheers

Last edited:

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I haven't seen paint mentioned yet, so my 2cents -

I've been happily using Gillespie paint from Rapco for about 18 years on all my stuff. Good paint, good durability (as in I haven't had to repaint stuff I painted 15+ years ago, except the black, which like all black paints fades to dark grey eventually).
Colour match is good next to original CARC paint, it is just a lot smoother. It looks too shiny at first after application, but in a week or so dulls down to flat.

Rapco puts the same paint in the spray cans as the gallons, so no problem matching if you use both.
The high particulate in the paint makes the spray cans a bit finicky to use at times, but the paint is very good.
The spray paint likes to be quite warm - here in Texas I leave the can out in the sun for 30 minutes before I go shake the devil out of it (minimum 2 minutes of vigorous shaking before spraying, then a good shake every couple of minutes while using). Others in less beastly heat areas have good luck sitting the can in a pot of warm water.

Nice trailer!

Cheers
Thanks! I think I mentioned paint somewhere, and I agree that paint to match is on the agenda. I will be going with Behr paint. Under the Steel Soldiers "Paint and Restoration" forum there is a Behr paint section. Cheaper, easy to obtain, and less cancer causing agents. No mixing and therefore can sit overnight without waste. There are some amazing paint jobs on that forum using the premixed matched colors. It is an awesome forum and an awesome Behr paint thread. Everyone on this website considering paint and bodywork should at least look through that thread.

Best,

T

Last edited:

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
200 gallons of water @ 8.34lbs per gallon = 1668lbs
That’s a lot of water.
I get thirsty.

Yeah, its a lot of weight BUT I would rarely need to carry that much, as you surmised. Better to build for a higher potential and not use, then calculate too low.

Last edited:

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
With 1940lbs payload that doesn't leave room for much else.
You guys might be right. Still in planning stages...

I had a friend miscalculate water while desert camping. His stories perhaps have worried me a bit too much. Wish water was less heavy

Last edited:

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks! I think I mentioned paint somewhere, and I agree that paint to match is on the agenda.
Yes, you asked about paint suggestions in post 1, I would not have just jumped in otherwise and said "Hey, paint your trailer! That would have been rather rude. rofl

Cheers

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, you asked about paint suggestions in post 1, I would not have just jumped in otherwise and said "Hey, paint your trailer! That would have been rather rude. rofl

Cheers
Now I understand...2 merged threads with initial dating back to 11, 2018. Second merged thread is now post#10...dated 01/25/2019, where I had already discovered the Behr thread and mentioned Behr by name... Now I understand and I'm sorry for the confusion.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks