• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Just put a turbo on my m1028...wow!

Keyser Soze

Nice truck and set up. my set up it simular. got a 6" homemade stack. just wondering how much Boost do you get and what type of Airfilter is that?
I get about 10 psi max when its under a load, and I tromp on it. The air filter is a cheapo reusable type....I think it is a spectre. I picked it up at advance auto. Thanks to all for the comments. On a side note, as much as I like having a stack in the bed I think I am going to take it out. Whenever I start my truck after a rain it blows black junk all over my truck.................ok if you like the leopard look :)

CUCV85

I get about 10 psi max when its under a load, and I tromp on it. The air filter is a cheapo reusable type....I think it is a spectre. I picked it up at advance auto. Thanks to all for the comments. On a side note, as much as I like having a stack in the bed I think I am going to take it out. Whenever I start my truck after a rain it blows black junk all over my truck.................ok if you like the leopard look :)
I know you don't want to
put a weather cap on there - to bad, it's an option!
$8.00 Fix
OR drill a small hole in the lowest part of the exhaust!
To easy - don't take the stack off
give it a shot then make a decision ...[thumbzup]

allrevup

If you don't feel like reading any of the many articles about this modification, Do a search in youtube, "6.2 or 6.5 turbo diesel" and you should find, from the original "Motor-Week" report back in the 80's, about the Bank's turbo set up to a highly modified, white short bed, making over 300+HP/500+lb.tq. at the wheels. Also very interesting was a dual turbo with dual I.P's, tractor in Europe from a couple of years back, I can't remenber the title.

Last edited:

cucv1833

Thanks for the info i only get 4 PSI of boost max Im also running the spectre filter. I know what u mean about the rain water i have a 1/4" weap hole at the tube turn to drain water but it dont help i use a butter bowl to cover it when out side

keefer

fuel mileage and towing

do you guys know how much the fuel mileage is typically affected on the 6.2 or 6.5? also what are you able to tow?

im trying to find out what i need to do if i want to tow 10-11 thousand pounds. I know i can put a turbo and some lower gears(i have 3.08 right now. with 3.73 or 4.10 gears and a turbo is this doable?

ODdave

do you guys know how much the fuel mileage is typically affected on the 6.2 or 6.5? also what are you able to tow?

im trying to find out what i need to do if i want to tow 10-11 thousand pounds. I know i can put a turbo and some lower gears(i have 3.08 right now. with 3.73 or 4.10 gears and a turbo is this doable?

I am assuming you have a 1009.......so the answer is a capital NO ! the short wheel base and light weight are just 2 of the safety factors in this equation

Last edited:

keefer

ya i did think of that already. if it turns out not to be stable i will only use it off the highway for short distances and maybe not at all.
I want to know what will the engine pull with the turbo and gears. anyone have any personal experience with changing the gears and turbo to get more pulling power?

keefer

oh and i was thinking a little outside the box on this one. i cant find any other person that has done this. i was thinking about minimizing the control issues by putting a fifth wheel/gooseneck in the the m1009 bed. i know its a little strange sounding but i think itll work.

Darky

I don't remember who made it, but there was a company making a tow behind 5th wheel hitch. You'd hitch it to your standard hitch, and it consisted of an axle with a 5t wheel mounted above it. You may look into that for the 5th wheel option. I'd imagine a 5th wheel in the back of a Blazer would be every bit as unstable as the too large trailer on a regular hitch, wit the added bonus of being right behind you if it lets go...

67_C-30

oh and i was thinking a little outside the box on this one. i cant find any other person that has done this. i was thinking about minimizing the control issues by putting a fifth wheel/gooseneck in the the m1009 bed. i know its a little strange sounding but i think itll work.

Here ya go!;-)

Attachments

2deuce

That must have been done as a joke. They weren't going to get anywhere with that.
The M1009 will tow alot more than a 1/4 ton trailer, but have good brakes on your trailer.

oliveyj

Just picked up a 84 M1028 with a turbo and was looking for info on it. Stumbled upon this thread. Any chance you sold yours to someone in NH a few years ago? The one I have looks very similar.

oliveyj

Only pic I have of it right now. U.S gear overdrive has been a mystery to me so far. I'm very new to the truck world, I've been into Jeeps since day one.
01717_8e6OG7SmiAP_600x450.jpg

Skinny

I live in Somersworth, NH

I typically travel down to Logan airport every week. If you have any questions or need someone to look at something on your rig, send me a PM and I can swing by and take a look.

oliveyj

Thanks for the warm welcome, and once I get it on the road I'm sure I'll have some questions. I'm picking away at the rust now, getting it ready for tree work and such.

Any info on the overdrive? Thats my main concern right now.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks