• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Just replaced rear axle, now u-joint breaks

Wolfie

I just replaced my rear axle, (ruined by 35" tires) with a brand new one from Coleman's less than 2 months ago, I asked the shop that was putting it in at least twice if I should get new u-bolts and a u-joint, since several people on this forum advised it. They assured me, "no, no, yours are fine, we'll reuse them".

I've just spent $200 on smaller 33" used tires so I don't break the new axle, and was told the tires were no good by the place that was going to mount them, so I'm still stuck with 35" tires . I'm trying to get my $ back on that one...currently there's fluid running out of my hydrolic power steering/brake pump and down my firewall, and under the hood the oil lines are leaking along with the power steering hoses.

I was driving yesterday and something was obviously wrong and getting progressively worse, I was almost where I was going and before I could pull over to look at it, I heard a horrible noise and the truck would no longer go forward. The u-bolt was totally broken off, and my linkage on the ground...in the middle of a snowstorm. Now I'm wondering if my rear axle, transmission, and transfer case may also be damaged because it was in 4x4 at the time...this might've finally killed my truck.

Last edited:

maritimer

if he pulls the rear shaft he could loose the fluid in his transfer case.
you will need new u-joints and u-coint straps* u-bolts that hold the joint in* if you didnt go to far you will likely just have some minor scuffs on the shaft with little to no damage on the transfercase, yes i have done this a couple of times in the past 6 months

motormayhem

I had to run with my transfer case bone dry for about 15 miles and all it messed up was the nylon tips on the forks inside (a $15 repair). If you did run with no/almost no fluid I would recommend opening the case and checking those nylon pieces. If they are melted/worn out the shifter forks will soon wear away :cry:. Also check for cracks in the tail of the transfer case, the tail of the tranny, and the adapter between he transfer case and tranny. Also make sure the output shaft on the T-case isn't bent. I had my drive shaft bend that shaft once and as soon as you run it you'll break the T-case casing.

Bobert

I wouldn't worry about it, my brand new ujoint came apart 2 days ago because I didn't quite get it inthe groves right. One of the caps came off and the driveshaft dropped out.

Ujoints are fairly easy to do, if you get the c clamp press from hatbor freight it works alright. Or if you are careful and or lazy like me, you can use a hammer and it takes 5 minutes. Just be sure to strap it in there right so it holds the caps on.

Also, be sure to top off the transfer case. mine lost around a quart.

Wolfie

I'm hoping the shop will fix it at a decent rate since I wanted to change it when the axle was done...I don't have a garage at home to work on it myself, or the tools...the most I usually do is change the oil.

ohfisherman

u joints

a lot of times joints fail if they are installed a little cocked or if the straps are not tightened all the way. i broke my rear joint last year after having a new transmission installed. failed due to the strap not being tightened.