• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

just thinking outloud

rango

ok no i dont have a cucv or any MV at the moment, but it is in the works

i want to get a m1031 to use in my mobile automotive repair business, and i have this weird desire to want to be able to be able to do just about anything including tearing out an engine anywhere.

so as its unfeasible to use a normal engine hoist out in the woods unless you can carry enough decent plywood to use as a "floor" to roll the hoist on, i would like input into the feasibility of mounting one of these (or similar)

to the roof of the contact box (approx in the middle towards the rear), what kind of structual changes would need to be made to support the weight of this (385lbs)

next, figuring on average a normal v8 weighs around 650-800lbs, hanging off the side, what kinda of support system would i need in place to offset the load so the truck doesn't tip over (id be ok with a little lean)

engineers start your brains and let me know how crazy i am :jumpin:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Space in the back of an SECM is at a premium for sure. Adding an autocrane will eliminate any space you have by virtue of all the bracing required to mount it. Remember that the body is aluminum. Mount it to a trailer and take it when you need it, the trailer can also provide much needed portable realestate.

91W350

Space in the back of an SECM is at a premium for sure. Adding an autocrane will eliminate any space you have by virtue of all the bracing required to mount it. Remember that the body is aluminum. Mount it to a trailer and take it when you need it, the trailer can also provide much needed portable realestate.
That my friend is an absolutely brilliant idea! Where are you when I need simple solutions.. Glen

mf5129

remove the shackles in the rear and have a boom made.use a chain hoist.design the boom to be removable the m1031 is the most versitale service truck you can buy.it is capable off road but slow on the highway.i own 2 of them.i aso have a dodge cummins that i use on the highway.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's an aluminum rear body.

TRUST ME. You don't want to add that much weight to an aluminum body without completely reinforcing the box.

I don't really know what to suggest for you. The M1031 will do a lot of things, but I think it would be the wrong platform for the crane idea. Now, adding one on a trailer...

Absolutely BRILLIANT idea, Recovery4x4!!! :jumpin:

rango

the reasoning behind it being on the body was so i could retract the boom and put in one of those heavy duty slide tables inside so i could load the motor into the rear storage space and unload it also

i do like the trailer idea also, as it would allow for a bigger crane

but theroretically how much bracing would be needed to make it work on the service body

i have an idea of how i could add reenforcement, to the box, sort of build a square steel substructure within the box to take most of the weight, but as i do not have the MV or access to one i dont know how feasible that would be

Last edited:

WARWAG

I think the trailer idea is great! You would need some type of down riggers You could use the rear trailer foot as one. Weld on a front trailer jack that use a small 1 1/2 diameter metal ring that you weld to the front frame support. I had monuted on my trailer and there very nice. I believe I paid $35 at Big R for one. Then weld up some supports for the both rear sides and mount the same type of jacks. That would make for a nice platform to operate a hoist off of.

davidkroberts

you know you could build a brace that runs down from the lifting shackles to two heavy duty tires. That would support an A-frame lifting frame to a pulley with cable come along. When the lifting rig pulled the motor you could drive it out pulling the rig along the tires.

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You would barely have enough room in the back of an SECM body to put an engine. They are really cramped back there. If you plan on mounting the autocrane over one of the side boxes, plan on supporting it through every box down to get to the frame of the box. You really need to check out an SECM body in person if you haven't. Sturdy they are but now way able to stand up to a crane.

mf5129

you can attach a gin pole setup using the anchor points for the shackles.install a d ring and use a chain hoist.it doesnt have anything to do with the body.it is adaquate for a medium load like that.a modern cherry picker is foldable and portable.a better choice.but a gin pole is easier to move. a load with.the oilfield uses hundreds of gin pole rigs. a m101a2 trailer with a hoist and frame would be fairly easy to build as well.

Last edited:

mf5129

the contact body made by able mfg co. model ago-10 is very strong it has crossmembers at 16"on center.and a heavy guage floor.it is cramped by virtue of equiptment.you need the roof for weather protection.the body with welder and equiptment sold for more than the cab and chassis