• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Just when I thought I knew everything!

humble1

After spending a lot of time lurking I thought I knew everything but apparently I don't. My question is about the NH 220 which is, I believe the motor that comes in most 818 if it is not a multi-fuel. Is the cummins in the 818 or 813 series 855 cid (like the common small and big cam series) or 495 cid? If it is 495 cid does someone have the LxWxH as this throws a serious kink in my "vast" files of knowledge

humble1

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A 495 is a four cylinder version of the 220, The NHC in the 5 ton trucks are 855 cid.

dma251

It's twice as heavy as a deuce, and twice as slow...

I loved my 5-ton, but that Deuce had some gettiup.. TwinPinion posted some pics of it at a tractor-pull somewhere on here.

I sold my Deuce thinking twice the motor would equal at least similar power in a rig weighting twice as much. It didn't seem to work out like that.

acetomatoco

The Cummins 5 tons.. 800 series versus the M/F M54A2 series is no contest. Ask the folks plowing snow and working the trucks hard... The 800s are much more powerful than the others

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hey Damon,
In my experience, there is no way my 818 is twice as slow as my old deuce. 818's don't weigh much less than a 813A1. My 818 takes no time to get up to 60. MHO

dma251

Well - I know My deuce had the pump turned up a little, and maybe my 5-ton was getting tired. I live at the bottom of a very steep and long hill (like 15% grade). My Deuce could rocket up that hill and be gaining speed. My 5-ton (with the original tires) could barely hit 10 mph, and couldn't go any faster. It also might have to do with the hole so big you could park the truck in it between 3rd and 4th.

Also - my Deuce could hit 65 on the freeway and felt like it could go even faster if I pushed it. The 5-ton felt winded at 55.

I'm talking strictly seat-of-the-pants impressions here. As far as pulling power/load-moving ability I have no firsthand knowledge.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
You're right, there is definitely a big hole between 3rd and 4th. That was one of the nice things about going with the Allison auto in the 939 series. It does a better job of keep the NHC-250 in the power-band so to speak.

CGarbee

I can get my M35A2C up to 56mph a lot faster that I can get my XM813 to 56mph (comparing both after they have warmed up), but:
With a MEP-005A in the back and a M37 on the towbar the deuce will drop right on down to 30mph on the interstate while the five ton with the same load chugs merrily on at 47mph...

I like working on the big Cummins a lot more than the little multifuel as well, but that might be more of a reflection on my fat fingers than anything else...

humble1

I knew all that! There was just a moment of panic as I was looking through a suppliers catalog for a muffler for another type of engine and it listed the NH series as being only 495 cid. And if I were to throw my hat into the ring on the 809 series against the m54, from my own wanderings I say that I like the m54 for it's supposed durability (and if you're lucky, the MACK engine!) but prefer the 809 for the power.

humble1

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks