• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Just won a M105. Now what do I need?

Ranger159

I just won a M105 from FT Carson. My EUC came back good and now I have 10 days to go get it. My pull vehicle is a F250 Diesel and its about an hour away from my LZ. Should be a fun adventure. I bought it off GL hopefully its a good one. Looking for some help on what I'll need to make sure I'm not that guy standing there with a stupid look on my face. Although I've been told that's common for newbies recovering trailers. I'll admin I'm about as mechanical as a bowling ball but I enjoy swinging a hammer and moving a wrench. :p

Bighurt

A Pintle hitch a way's off the ground, magnetic brake light/ turn signals.

You can get by with the Pintle and 6x10 plate available at TSC. If you can find a 6x12 it would be better, depending year and drive train of the F250. You'll need a jack to take the weight on the trailer and put it on the Pintle. Landing gear on the M105 won't go low enough. And the fixed wheel is way high.

Personally I lift the tongue and put it on the pintle, but not everyone can do it. And if you have to lift pull the gear and lower it's a little much.

I pull empty 105's with my F350 and similar set-up all the time. I've pulled loaded as well but with no brakes your asking for trouble. If you have bows and a cover remove them and tie them down in the trailer to reduce height.

I hope you have a M35 or larger to use the M105 with or plan to re-utilize the parts as a M101 or M1101 is more suitable for a civilian truck in stock form.

Ranger159

It'll be empty when I tow it . I have plans to get a duce but the trailer came first. Its a 2012 F250 and I was told I could pull 10k lbs no problems. I won't drive like a maniac but it should be interesting. I'll look for M101 for towing full time.

steelandcanvas

I've always brought a dozen doughnuts with me and mistakenly left them on the counter in the GL office. Actually they are a bunch of good Guys down there, but they do like their doughnuts...
The 105 doesn't tow bad, I towed mine home with my Dodge 3500 Dually, just take it easy, 55-60mph seemed fast enough.

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've done this dozens of times. I prefer to take off the front and rear racks (if the trailer has them) and store them in the side storage pockets. I also lower the tailgate flat with the bed and stick my lights on there with a healthy dose of duct tape to keep them in place. The tailgate acts as a big scoop when left up. Lately I've forgone the highlift jack and just back the truck onto some 4x4 planks to hook up. I can be in and out of a GL lot with a new trailer in 5 minutes less paperwork. Don't forget to check tire pressure, monitor tire and hub temps the first few dozen miles.

steelandcanvas

How do you check the hub temps? What happens if they get too hot?
Put your hand on the hub, if you can't hold it there for more than a few seconds, it's too hot. If it's too hot, the brake is dragging or the bearings are dry. Dry bearings can seize up, causing all sorts of roadside problems you don't want. Don't ask me how I know. Have you downloaded the TM on your new toy?

Ranger159

Not yet. But I'll do that as well. I'm hoping I didn't get myself more trouble than what its worth. I'll pray for no issues. I'm guessing I should bring some grease too for the bearings. ;)
Green stuff , a high-lift, some 2x4's, lights, and a pintle hitch.

Ranger159

Not yet. But I'll do that as well. I'm hoping I didn't get myself more trouble than what its worth. I'll pray for no issues. I'm guessing I should bring some grease too for the bearings.
Green stuff , a high-lift, some 2x4's, lights, and a pintle hitch.

Ranger159

I bought my pintle hitch (and a riser), a hi-lift jack, lights, and a safety chain. The combination hitch is 3000 lbs MVL and 16000 lbs Trailer weight. The ball is 2000lbs. The riser states its good for 10000 lbs. Is this all good for towing a M105A2?

TIGERFANS2

click on my screen name then look at my album, you'll see a Chevy 2500HD 6.0 gas hooked up to and towing a 105........ now a ford............... hmmmmm.... they might not be able to... :p

a humongous set of channel locks are nice too

Ranger159

Good to know I'm a ringer in a Ford. ;)
Good idea about the channel locks. I'm bringing all my tools just in case. Maybe some grease for the bearings if the need it. I'll PMCS that bad boy before leaving. Just got my rig out of the shop for some bone head trying to run me off the road. I don't need any more issues.

caliber1

No worries dude, I'm goin to grab two next week. Supposed to be tomorrow at Camp Shelby, but my darling wife made me change up. I am hauling them home on a flat bed trailer though. Good luck with your recovery!

Ranger159

I'm a little nervous about hauling it but hey.. it should be fine. Once I get it to the homestead it will be a great trailer when my rig gets raised and I flip the pintle. If anybody has any other suggestions I'm all ears.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks