• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Just won an auction for my first HMMWV, the wait begins

cucvmule

collector of stuff
Very good purchase! Very clean like it was in storage or an important person was using that machine. Someone kept very good care of that truck. Either someone cleaned it for pictures or it had been in the rain recently.

And the Marines were using it, could of been acquired from the Air Force. :devilish::driver::cool:

Good Luck be patient and have the T-Case looked at.

Action

That’s a dishonest business practice. I have the bare minimum to start my truck and they don’t fit the tray and the hold down doesn’t work. I’m just saying that they show pics of a 56 dollar mirror that needs to be replaced but don’t show the 900$ worth of batteries that you expect to be there
You could have bought 6tl or 6tmf , like most of us have, at a local store. Instead of buying agm batteries.

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You could have bought 6tl or 6tmf , like most of us have, at a local store. Instead of buying agm batteries.
Yes you are right. I could also put wood between the batteries and the hold down bracket. It’s a high dollar item that’s missing and I will guarantee that the military didn’t put car batteries in it. Without pictures I don’t think it’s unreasonable to expect a military vehicle to have the proper batteries in it.

OLDBEAR1234

Gov planet takes the military batteries out and puts car batteries in! I think every sale should include a picture of the batteries! I just ordered new Hawker military batteries and they are not cheap compared to mirrors and lights they seem to photograph!
My 1998 1123 with 18,000 miles had the hawker batteries that were three years old.

blutow

one of the trucks I was bidding on yesterday actually had a pic of the batteris (see below). I think It's the only battery pic I've seen across over 100 I looked at. They really should include pics of this area, but it's probably not a selling point for most trucks (so of course they wouldn't show it). It would be nice to see type of battery, are the hold down brakets present, and also whether there might be a bunch of coorosion from an acid leak or something. In this pick, it looks like a date sticker showing 4/21 by the terminal on the far right. If it is, that's decent evidence that they may be sticking batteries in to get them started for sale. Or maybe just an anomoly. I'm guessing it's an anomoly since it's the only battery pic I saw (only take a battery pic in the rare case they are new and it might be a selling point).

1631803508819.png

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
one of the trucks I was bidding on yesterday actually had a pic of the batteris (see below). I think It's the only battery pic I've seen across over 100 I looked at. They really should include pics of this area, but it's probably not a selling point for most trucks (so of course they wouldn't show it). It would be nice to see type of battery, are the hold down brakets present, and also whether there might be a bunch of coorosion from an acid leak or something. In this pick, it looks like a date sticker showing 4/21 by the terminal on the far right. If it is, that's decent evidence that they may be sticking batteries in to get them started for sale. Or maybe just an anomoly. I'm guessing it's an anomoly since it's the only battery pic I saw (only take a battery pic in the rare case they are new and it might be a selling point).

View attachment 845320
That’s great because it has something that it didn’t come with and it should be disclosed. Same small batteries I have and if I would have seen it before I wouldn’t be complaining. I didn’t have a pic of behind the doghouse and I was nervous about what I would find when I got it home. Turns out it was just fine. Gov P does a pretty good job trying to describe the condition but I think a 900 dollar item that’s missing is note worthy. They took the time to say my seatbelts didn’t function so that’s a pretty detailed description of an item.

Action

That’s great because it has something that it didn’t come with and it should be disclosed. Same small batteries I have and if I would have seen it before I wouldn’t be complaining. I didn’t have a pic of behind the doghouse and I was nervous about what I would find when I got it home. Turns out it was just fine. Gov P does a pretty good job trying to describe the condition but I think a 900 dollar item that’s missing is note worthy. They took the time to say my seatbelts didn’t function so that’s a pretty detailed description of an item.
Like i said, you aren’t missing $900 items. You chose to buy expensive agm batteries. The normal batteries for these are $200 - $300 each depending on where you shop.

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Like i said, you aren’t missing $900 items. You chose to buy expensive agm batteries. The normal batteries for these are $200 - $300 each depending on where you shop.
That’s still a 400 or 600 item and they take the time to document a broken mirror or light seems like they could take a picture of what you got installed.
I’m watching a YouTube video title is brand new Hmmwv m998. It’s beautiful down to every nut and bolt. Really nice restoration. I like having a little more of used one.

blutow

That’s still a 400 or 600 item and they take the time to document a broken mirror or light seems like they could take a picture of what you got installed.
I’m watching a YouTube video title is brand new Hmmwv m998. It’s beautiful down to every nut and bolt. Really nice restoration. I like having a little more of used one.
I agree that they should take a pic of the battery compartment, but you can't tell them much about a battery by a pic in most situations. New looking batteries can be shot and old loooking batteries can be great. I assume most of these trucks have been sitting untouched for years, so chances are the batteries are junk more often than not. Same deal with tires. A pic doesn't help much unless they capture date codes on the tire or battery. Tires are probably the most expensive wear item on the truck (besides the engine) and date code pics would be nice. My truck was rebuilt in 2009 and i'm guessing the tires are from the same year (meaning they are unsafe for highway travel despite looking new in the pics).

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree that they should take a pic of the battery compartment, but you can't tell them much about a battery by a pic in most situations. New looking batteries can be shot and old loooking batteries can be great. I assume most of these trucks have been sitting untouched for years, so chances are the batteries are junk more often than not. Same deal with tires. A pic doesn't help much unless they capture date codes on the tire or battery. Tires are probably the most expensive wear item on the truck (besides the engine) and date code pics would be nice. My truck was rebuilt in 2009 and i'm guessing the tires are from the same year (meaning they are unsafe for highway travel despite looking new in the pics).
I thought I had good batteries after hearing it start and seen how it was charging. I did have good batteries just the wrong ones. I got the Hawker’s for 445 ea shipped and that’s a good price but still a lot. I could have went cheaper but I just wanted what was made to go there. I hope you get the good stuff with yours. You got a really nice truck and I think you got a good deal. The waiting sucks but it seems much longer than it really is. Lol

OLDBEAR1234

I thought I had good batteries after hearing it start and seen how it was charging. I did have good batteries just the wrong ones. I got the Hawker’s for 445 ea shipped and that’s a good price but still a lot. I could have went cheaper but I just wanted what was made to go there. I hope you get the good stuff with yours. You got a really nice truck and I think you got a good deal. The waiting sucks but it seems much longer than it really is. Lol
445 each? shipped? Good price!

Action

Made to go there? That is what i am trying to say. You bought AGM batteries. They are usually more than double the price of regular 6TL and 6TMF batteries, which are what came in hmmwv for many many years....
1631834586250.jpeg

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Made to go there? That is what i am trying to say. You bought AGM batteries. They are usually more than double the price of regular 6TL and 6TMF batteries, which are what came in hmmwv for many many years....
View attachment 845443
I would be happy with those. I didn’t know if the caps would interfere with the hold down bracket. At least it fits the tray

blutow

I don't know much about these miltary batteries. If mine has the original batteries from the 2009 refurb (which I assume it does), is there any chance they are usable? I know normal batteries can last that long if they are maintained, but not more than a few years if left to drain (unless they are lithium or something super high end). I'm use AGM on watercraft and they last a long time, but I don't think they'd survive 10+ years without a charge.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I would be happy with those. I didn’t know if the caps would interfere with the hold down bracket. At least it fits the tray
There are other choices.
I have a LOT of things that need batteries, so I went cheap.
I have no shortage of juice to crank motors bigger than your HMMWV.

Worth a thought for next time...

00 New Batteries InPlace.jpg

EDIT: Obviously the HMMWV has two batteries and not four like the M1088 box that is pictured.
These have worked well at their $100 price point

Last edited:

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
You're lucky if they even have batteries. Many have been baking dead in the desert and are jumped started with their battery cart.

Batteries not included, CAMO

AND to start a ruckus... AGM and Flooded cell types require a little different charging profile. IMO... Not so sure the old military alternator / regulator is of the design to deal with it. Do your thing, battery cheapscape here, CAMO

Last edited:

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your lucky if they even have batteries. Many have been baking dead in the desert and are jumped started with their battery cart.

Batteries not included, CAMO

AND to start a ruckus... AGM and Flooded cell types require a little different charging profile. IMO... Not so sure the old military alternator / regulator is of the design to deal with it. Do your thing, battery cheapscape here, CAMO
Probably so. I was told the Hawker batteries are what comes in them.

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are other choices.
I have a LOT of things that need batteries, so I went cheap.
I have no shortage of juice to crank motors bigger than your HMMWV.

Worth a thought for next time...

View attachment 845448
If I needed that many batteries I would have to go cheaper. I had just spent a lot of money on parts that I thought were oem and turns out that they are not so I ordered the oem parts and I wasn’t going to chance anymore expensive experiments.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
If I needed that many batteries I would have to go cheaper. I had just spent a lot of money on parts that I thought were oem and turns out that they are not so I ordered the oem parts and I wasn’t going to chance anymore expensive experiments.
Edited because I was on a HMMWV forum and posted a 4 Battery Setup. (Sorry, My mistake)

This MV thing - it will chew on your wallet for sure! Seems to me that every last thing that I fix on my truck seems to uncover something else that needs fixing or some sort of special attention. I suppose it could be worse. The good news is that it appears the number of things that need to be fixed are declining. I'm almost to the point of things that I want to upgrade. :)

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks