• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Just won the bid on a MEP803A

csheath

Sorry if I beat any of you out on this one. I will use this as my learning and experience thread when I pick it up and get started on it.

Not sure if it's kosher to post this info but as usual I didn't read all the conditions and terms before bidding at GL. I knew about the buyers premium and sales tax but I didn't know they would extend the auction past the posted end time until nobody else was uping the bid. I was high bidder at the posted 4:00 PM and remained so as they extended the time to 4:03, 4:05, then 4:08. It ended up costing me $210 more as those final minutes were extended so I am not real happy about that. Not much else to say about it.

Have any of you picked up an 803A from Atlanta? It says they will load on a flatbed truck or trailer only. I would prefer not to have to take my trailer for something that will load in the back of my pickup. Can these be fork lifted from the end and put in a pickup?

craigc

I just won one too but not from Atlanta, I would call the pickup site and ask if they will end load it in your pickup. I've read its a common practice to end load them.
I'm getting shipping quotes because mine is 1100 miles away, that would probably be 4 days for the round trip so its probably cheaper the ship mine rather than go get it.

jamawieb

I saw those in Atlanta, the hours ranged from 5,000-8,000 hours. Hopefully you got a good runner and will have many more hours out of the unit. I hate the extensions also!

Yes, the generators can be loaded from the end so you can load into the back of a pickup.

csheath

I saw those in Atlanta, the hours ranged from 5,000-8,000 hours. Hopefully you got a good runner and will have many more hours out of the unit. I hate the extensions also!

Yes, the generators can be loaded from the end so you can load into the back of a pickup.
This is a 01/2007 showing 2617 hours on the meter. It has a big decal reading RESET on the end so I assume it had some maintenance. It could have more hours and had the hour meter replaced during the reset but who knows. Hoping I got lucky.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry if I beat any of you out on this one. I will use this as my learning and experience thread when I pick it up and get started on it.

Not sure if it's kosher to post this info but as usual I didn't read all the conditions and terms before bidding at GL. I knew about the buyers premium and sales tax but I didn't know they would extend the auction past the posted end time until nobody else was uping the bid. I was high bidder at the posted 4:00 PM and remained so as they extended the time to 4:03, 4:05, then 4:08. It ended up costing me $210 more as those final minutes were extended so I am not real happy about that. Not much else to say about it.

Have any of you picked up an 803A from Atlanta? It says they will load on a flatbed truck or trailer only. I would prefer not to have to take my trailer for something that will load in the back of my pickup. Can these be fork lifted from the end and put in a pickup?
GL doesn't allow sniping. They extend the auction if you or anyone places last minute bids. You can read how it works in the faq section of their site.

Have fun with the new machine!

craigc

I ended up winning a 2009 MEP-803A with 255 hours. Unfortunately no batteries so I'll put in 2 Duracell AGM group 34/78 batteries. I'll read more on oil but I think I'll use Rotella T6 5W40 synthetic for winter and 15W40 summer. I have a very reliable Ford 7.3 Super Duty and that's what I use in it and have never had a problem. It's got over 250,000 miles on it from the Canadian arctic to Corpus Christi TX. In fact in Canada I have used 0W40 for those -35 mornings not plugged in and it always started. I'm excited to learn about this great equipment and from the exceptional people on this site.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,

The MEP-802A and MEP-803A can be picked up via forklift either direction. From the side, and long ways. Tailgate loading is just that. You back your pickup up, drop the tail gate, and they load it in.

csheath

GL doesn't allow sniping. They extend the auction if you or anyone places last minute bids. You can read how it works in the faq section of their site.

Have fun with the new machine!
Yeah I read it after the fact. They should post IN the listing that 4:00 pm is an approximate closing so it isn't a surprise. I still got the machine for a little under my maximum bid but I think the extended closing time is not good business. Guess I'm too used to ebay auctions.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I ended up winning a 2009 MEP-803A with 255 hours. Unfortunately no batteries so I'll put in 2 Duracell AGM group 34/78 batteries. I'll read more on oil but I think I'll use Rotella T6 5W40 synthetic for winter and 15W40 summer. I have a very reliable Ford 7.3 Super Duty and that's what I use in it and have never had a problem. It's got over 250,000 miles on it from the Canadian arctic to Corpus Christi TX. In fact in Canada I have used 0W40 for those -35 mornings not plugged in and it always started. I'm excited to learn about this great equipment and from the exceptional people on this site.
Howdy,
I would suggest you read over the forums pertaining to the MEP-831A. Look at what others have used for batteries. That stupid special battery for that unit is pricey. :)

You will not run it enough to be thinking about changing the oil that much.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah I read it after the fact. They should post IN the listing that 4:00 pm is an approximate closing so it isn't a surprise. I still got the machine for a little under my maximum bid but I think the extended closing time is not good business. Guess I'm too used to ebay auctions.
I have mixed feelings about it. For one auction I was trying to get a bid in late in hopes of winning the item and saw that it got extended. That was disappointing since it ran the bid up quite a bit. For another auction someone did the same to my bid at the last minute and I appreciated the extra time to allow me to log on and counter. It's a tough call as to which model is better.

robertsears1

Back in 2003, I was high bidder on a 16" jointer for woodworking at the end of the original time. I was aware of the overtime rules. 1.5 hours later and $1500 more, I was the winning bidder. The other bidder never outbid me, just kept bumping me until he ran out of money. That day, I would have welcomed the eBay method. I always check the customer number of the bidder (only visible if I actually bid) to see if he looks new, since he may not be aware of the overtime rules and not realize the auction is still ongoing. Overtime used to be in 15 minute chunks, it seems shorter now.

Robert

TrailLifeBill

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I picked up an MEP-803a from Atlanta a couple months ago. The only issue I had was that the lady doing the scheduling told me that I could only come one of two days the next week to pick up. I was going to Atlanta while evacuating from Matthew and REALLY needed to pick up on one of two days that didn't coincide with those I was given. They work every day there, but there are only two of them (one in the office, and one in the yard). I left a couple messages for the manager (the guy in the yard), and didn't get a callback for several days - so I called GL. Within two hours I had an appointment for pickup on a mutually agreeable day. They were very helpful once I arrived, end-loaded it into my cargo trailer, and let me hang out for a half hour while I secured everything.

csheath

Has any of you hauled one in the back of an extended cab F150? The payload listed for my truck is right at 2000 lbs but I'm a little concerned about having 1100 lbs in the back at highway speeds. I might be better off taking my car trailer but it is open center and the unit will need to sit between the runners on the cross members. The only problem I see there is them being able to get it to the center of the trailer. After it's placed I can pull it to the rear some to get it over the axles with the ratchet straps. Once home I have a 15,000 lb backhoe/loader to get it off or out with.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Remove your tailgate and let them slide it into the bed of the truck a little further. Since it can be picked up from the side or the end (of the generator) that should get at least part of it over the wheels.

lonesouth

I've seen loads of people toting a pallet of sod in a half-ton which often weighs closer to 2,000#. I think you'd be find to haul the MEP in yours, just get it as far forward as possible. One of the guys, maybe DieselAddict, loaded 3x in the bed of his dually 3500. May be a good excuse to install some firestone airbags on the truck :D

csheath

I've seen loads of people toting a pallet of sod in a half-ton which often weighs closer to 2,000#. I think you'd be find to haul the MEP in yours, just get it as far forward as possible. One of the guys, maybe DieselAddict, loaded 3x in the bed of his dually 3500. May be a good excuse to install some firestone airbags on the truck :D
I've had it full of sand but didn't want to drive over 45 with it.

If they can get it in the back of the truck and can't push it to the cab I can pull it forward with a ratchet strap I think. I just don't want to be stuck driving 50 MPH all the way home when I know I can run 70 with my trailer. But again, I don't want to pull the trailer if I don't have to. Hmmmmm decisions decisions.

TrailLifeBill

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Remove your tailgate and let them slide it into the bed of the truck a little further. Since it can be picked up from the side or the end (of the generator) that should get at least part of it over the wheels.
Good advice to remove the tailgate - you can replace it after it's loaded. I used a 4' long 2x4 to get mine exactly where I wanted it after he loaded it into my trailer. Worked pretty well. I carried oversized ratchet straps to secure it. Hopefully you have some good sturdy tie down points in your truck bed.