• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Justification Help

WhatTheDeuce

Okay so here's the deal. I'm a 20 year old motor head, in engineering school. at the start of next year im going to be in need of my own vehicle, so ive been looking at new pick-ups, all the makes ford chevy dodge gmc toyota nissan. but the problem is that by the time you get a base model standard cab truck with 4x4 and a diesel your looking at a 40,000 truck and lots of electronics that can break and cause nightmares. and ofcourse being a motorhead i want to lift it and have stacks and offroad that baby!

so i started looking around and came across the site 100dollarman.com he sells bobbed deuce trucks starting at 7,500 which im sure everybody here probably knows. i spent some time pricing things out and what not and my quick numbers show i can get a bobbed deuce with the blackrock fab lift and some hemmit wheels/ 54" goodyear tires for $15,000 tops, being generous. now to me that sounds like a steal compared to trying to build up a new 2500 series diesel which would cost like 60K to make it comperable.

i would like to know all the facts and get involved in this site so i can make a more informed decision!
thanks for reading all that and helping a first time poster out!

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I beleive the 100dollarman isn't selling trucks anymore.

Just remember that you are buying a 40+ year old truck. It WILL have issues. Parts are easy to find, but you will not be able to walk into your local parts house and get it. Usually it has to be ordered and shipped.

Keep all your questions in one thread so we are not reposting the same issue.

Here is a Word document that will answer many of your questions.

Attachments

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Eastern Surplus is a vendor here and has trucks closer than Hundy would have had anyway. Check the classifieds as there are a few in you area (within a couple states).

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Using capitalization is a site rule, did they drop it from the higher education system?

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There's an education system left? I thought it was a baby's sitter type institution now.

How many miles are you planning to drive a year? More on road than off? Is it just the 'cool' factor, or are you needing a reliable daily driver that is also lifted, jacked, etc? Do you have long commutes? Do you like the idea of being cold and wet in the winter and hot and wet in the summer?

I would suggest getting an economy car for daily driving, either way you go. Bobbed trucks can be dangerous if not done right, and changing CG and other items already changed by the bob by lifting and putting huge tires on can make it an unpleasant drive down the highway. And you will have a single circuit brake system, on a truck with 40 year old components. Somethings can be upgraded and changed.

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think you have to ask yourself what you really want . MV's are TACTICAL TRUCKS , not highway cruisers . They were made for a purpose for the MILITARY , i.e. NO ac, bad heat , NO PW OR PS , no cruise control , 24 volt electrical system and you may even find a FEW water leaks in the rain , plus they top out at about 50 MPH . What I am trying to say is by the time you fix and or add some of the above , you will be into the MV for a LOT of money plus the time and effort .

WhatTheDeuce

Sorry about my capitalization, it is not taught in school anymore. :) I don't have to commute far only round trip 20 miles a day. I am used to getting horrific gas milage and topping out at 50 MPH so that is not a concern for me. Also none of my trucks have ever had AC, so it wont be missed. Yes much of it is the "cool" factor of driving what is basically a big rig, but it also is the fact that for my intensive purposes I.E. offroading/ mudding/ showing off a bit/ and just getting to work it is designed to handle that kind of use.

On a side note while i'm at it, im going to have to research a bit on making one more modern for safety reasons.
Is it possible to make one "reliable" by buying an old run down deuce, start from the frame put a more modern engine like a 6bt cummins and modernize the brakes and steering? Because even if that costs me 25,000 thats still reasonable for what i would be getting out of it.
I know i'm asking a lot of broad questions but i'm reading up on all the material you guys are sending me and following your leads so it isn't just useless banter, im learning from the bottom.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
On the capitalization issue, it is part of the forum rules that you at least try.

Now to your subject. Many people have done what you are asking about. With time an money anything is possible. You have tons of searching and reading to do.

The search feature on this site helps but google is better. They spend billions of $$$ to make their search engines.

When googling add "site:steelsoldiers.com" to the search words

http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=disk+brakes+cummins+site:steelsoldiers.com

Read this thread:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?60642-5-9-Cummins-NV4500-Hydro-boost-and-Disc-Brakes

Last edited:

WRMorrison

Owning a deuce is awesome, but I wouldn't even think of having one as a sole/daily driver; especially as a student. My advice it to buy a reliable, fuel-efficient car or truck of your choice (non-4x4), AND buy a cheap deuce to tinker with however you choose. Unless you're independently wealthy, DD'ing a deuce will likely put you in the poorhouse in short order (fuel economy, routine maintenance, etc). Lack of A/C may not be an issue to you personally, but it will be to others. Once you graduate, you're not going to want to drive your deuce to a job interview and show up dirty and sweaty. You're also don't want to show up to work like that; I know it wouldn't fly at my company.

-WRM

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
..... so ive been looking at new pick-ups, all the makes ford chevy dodge gmc toyota nissan. but the problem is that by the time you get a base model standard cab truck with 4x4 and a diesel your looking at a 40,000 truck and lots of electronics that can break and cause nightmares. and ofcourse being a motorhead i want to lift it and have stacks and offroad that baby!

.... bobbed deuce trucks starting at 7,500 which im sure everybody here probably knows. i spent some time pricing things out and what not and my quick numbers show i can get a bobbed deuce with the blackrock fab lift and some hemmit wheels/ 54" goodyear tires for $15,000 tops, being generous. now to me that sounds like a steal compared to trying to build up a new 2500 series diesel which would cost like 60K to make it comperable.
May I point out that "not knowing what one wants" is a common disease amongst people that start to vehicle-shop? This makes questions hard to answer. Look at what you said...you are literally comparing apples to oranges. A new Diesel pickup truck versus a 40 year old modified miltary truck? How are these two comparable? Surely, there must be options in between that are not situated at two extreme ends of the spectrum.

For a cheap truck, if that is what you are looking for, look at the military Blazers and pickup trucks. They are around, some beautifully restored and fixed up and, because they are close to stuff that exists in the civy world, can be upgraded and maintained for reasonable coin.

I am absolutely convinced that, if you were to modify a bobbed Deuce to be something more than a basic, denture-rattling rig, you would be looking at some serious money. Start with power steering, a/c retrofit...

This is not meant to be a Deuce bashing post. It is important to realize that, with a Deuce as daily driver, you need to have very, very low demands towards your means of transportation in order to stay calm and sane over a period of time. There will be the day where you simply need to get somewhere quite far away, in a hurry...

WhatTheDeuce

Currently i drive a 2006 toyota tacoma base model 4x2. it has 141K on the clock which i dont like because im just starting to have problems with it. I was going to sell the truck and get a deuce instead at the beginning of next year, but does it make more sense to keep the little toyota around, and have the deuce as a second truck? (which im not fond of two trucks on my insurance)

WhatTheDeuce

Cattlerepairman i didnt see your post before my last post. (sorry) And yes waffling decisions runs in my family very big! These are the things that i know i for sure want in what i buy 4X4, Diesel, lifted, Heavy Duty. I want something that requires some love and attention because i do love working on my vehicles. (ps i hate the little toyota i have now, its extremely dissapointing as a truck)

Ridgerunner

Big difference between a brand new diesel pick up and a 40 year old modified military truck. For the kind of money that your looking to spend, you could get a nice low mileage custom Deuce with winch, that's already been bobbed, lifted and rolling on 53" tires, like the one over to the left <<<<<

WhatTheDeuce

Ridgerunner, that is basically what i would be going for if i was going to get a deuce. Now the practicality of it isnt all there, but how often do you drive that thing?

SteveKuhn

"...how often do you drive that thing?..."

Mine's not bobbed, but my motto is, "ANY excuse to drive the Deuce."

"...Also none of my trucks have ever had AC, so it wont be missed..."

You might reconsider that when you're moving about 8 mph in traffic in 92+ degree/83+% humidity weather as the heat from that LDT warms the firewall and floorboards and wafts up through the holes for the pedals, shifter, and transfer case.

Two weeks ago I was cruising along the highway at a brisk 45 mph with floor vents, windshield and windows open and rear cab window rolled up when realized I had the heater on too strong on my right leg. But I don't have a heater.

I do understand the guys who won't do long 4th of July parades anymore.

I vote for both a Pinto and a Deuce for your circumstances. No electronics anyplace.

Happy shopping.

Steve