• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Justification Help

Lust4GreenSteel

Thanks to all who posted to this thread. I have a different problem than WhatTheDeuce, but the give and take in this discussion opened my eyes to the reality of my own situation.

I am old and dumb. When I was a teen (50 some years ago), my dad wouldn't let me near the family transportation and there was no way to afford something for me to learn on. Thus, I never really learned the basics of being a gearhead. Now, I can afford an old green truck, but you just made me realize that even a really nice one will take way more care than I would be able to provide. I just want to have one to play with, without the necessity to do the maintenance. So, for now, I am changing my focus from finding just the right truck to finding a younger partner who has the omph and the skills I lack but may not have the dollars to indulge in this hobby. I can afford truck(s) and parts if I can find someone in my area who will work for less than shop rates in return for sharing play access to the equipment.

Diecorpse

I did drive my duece every day. The one thing I can tell you is that you better be ready. They handle differently from other vehicles and when you go around town and go to places, you will need to improvise in small areas legally and remember the hieght of your truck, there's no drive through at Mcdonalds. I have noticed I have become more aware driving my duece. It's easy to destroy another car/truck and possibly kill someone. Issurance, depends who and where and your driving record and age. I'm 27, no speeding tickets or accidents, I have insurance through American family in Nebraska. I pay 65.70 a month for my '72 duece and thats to keep it road legal with the minimum standards, yet I pay 78.32 a month for my '91 cutlass supreme. Same type of coverage. It can be cheap if you are prepared, but that usually comes in time after owning a duece. In cold weather, they can be tuff to start, so having the right eqipment helps. Read all the threads you can in all forums about the duece which should help you in your future endeavor. Personally. I would recommend the M35A2 with the multifuel. Easy and built simplistic compared to newer vehicles. Again read more threads!! I wish the best of luck and remember "If you think you can, or you think you can't, either way your right. It's the thinking that makes it so." -Henry Ford

jedawson1

So, for now, I am changing my focus from finding just the right truck to finding a younger partner who has the omph and the skills I lack but may not have the dollars to indulge in this hobby. I can afford truck(s) and parts if I can find someone in my area who will work for less than shop rates in return for sharing play access to the equipment.[/QUOTE]

Now you're on to something. Everything is in the TM's so all you need is a high schooler willing to read and work. Nothing like sharing in a hobby with the next generation. I've looked in my neighborhood, all the teen age boys want to look but they are unwilling to work. Good Luck!

100dollarman

I beleive the 100dollarman isn't selling trucks anymore.

Just remember that you are buying a 40+ year old truck. It WILL have issues. Parts are easy to find, but you will not be able to walk into your local parts house and get it. Usually it has to be ordered and shipped.

Keep all your questions in one thread so we are not reposting the same issue.

Here is a Word document that will answer many of your questions.

Just for info--
I am still selling trucks-- just now stocking 2-5 trucks at a time instead of 20-30 like before. Stocking LOTS of tires and is my main biz. Not doing anymore bobbers---
THX!

SteveKuhn

Lust4GreenSteel: "...So, for now, I am changing my focus from finding just the right truck to finding a younger partner who has the omph and the skills I lack but may not have the dollars to indulge in this hobby. I can afford truck(s) and parts if I can find someone in my area who will work for less than shop rates in return for sharing play access to the equipment..."

I don't wanna hijack this thread but you bring up some stuff that seems to sorta deserve some kicking around. Why not start another on the topic. You might be closer than you thought to being able to do it -- with or without that younger partner.

Steve
-- Who's also older and would rather not say how dumb . . .

Lust4GreenSteel

Steve, Not sure I understand what the topic of the new thread would be? "Need poor person with mechanical skills that would like to play with big trucks"?

ducer

Lust4green,
I am older and have been around all types of vehicles my whole life. I try to pass my knowledge on to the younger generations but all they seem to be interested in video games or the easy way out of work. I had a business (golfcart sales and service) and I would pay kids to learn but had one he11 of a time finding help and when I did they would not stick around. We played also once a week was Junkyard day where we walked around junkyards just to see what they had, we built Kustom carts, did kustom painting and built freaks with left over stuff. They got to learn welding and metal fabrication also. All the stuff I busted my a$$ to learn for free when I was a kid. Good luck on finding someone. You know your never to old to learn Just go out and buy some tools and sit down with a book and do it. That is how I learned a lot of stuff I now know. At least if you run into trouble you have this wonderful resource known as Steel Soldiers to help bail you out. :mrgreen: I have seen many people on here get bashed for not reading the TMs. But never seen someone get razzed because they needed assistance with a problem. Just look in old posts first for the answers. Look to your past work experience for ways to help you. Example if you were a enginer what could you build to help you with lifting chores. If you worked programing computers your screwed.:doh: Theres always something from your past life experiences to help you. Just remember it is just a hobby and not a job hobbys are fun.

Denny :drool:

Diecorpse

Whattheduece- When were you thinking about making a purchase? From where or whom? Lot of us gave our opinions, but what I want to know, did this help you? Do you still have a burning desire for a duece and a half?

tobyS

Maybe he needs a bobbed 5 ton if he likes "BIG" ??? Deuce's are bringing a premium. Auto transmission is a must for my left knee. And go get a used BMW for a work driver (nobody makes fun of an engineer driving a BMW (unless it's pink)).

tobyS

Diecorpse, there is a lot of experience here that can be hard for a young man to swallow when he is in the middle of lusting for a new toy. Romance can make one blind, which I think members put forth very well and not in too much of a personal way. I hope he has given up on the idea of a 20 mile one way commute in a MV as not very practical, but we may never know.

Diecorpse

I know when I fix my truck, I plan on driving it to work but not everyday. Mostly because the people I work with want to see it. It's about twenty five miles one way, so every now and then can be fun, but everyday might be a little much, unless we move closer then sure, but for the time being, probly not.

dutchguy

I'm not sure that anything needs to be added to this thread. BUT, one thing to consider for a young man making this decision is the availability of disposable income to make repairs. For instance, it may not seem like a big deal to replace an injector pump, finding one in a reasonable time frame can be very expensive. Ventilating an engine block is not cheap, and probably not fast. The chances of doing that are a lot greater with an LDT than a PowerStroke or a Cummins. On the one hand, I'm sure an replacement Allison for a Duramax is substantially more expensive than a Rockwell for the Deuce, so maybe it evens out. Just saying, coming up with $1,500 overnight can be a bit unnerving for some folks. If you want something different, can work on them, and have a knack for doing things like adding a 12v accessory system, you can't do much better than a bobbed Deuce for different.

Diecorpse

I agree. They do dig holes in your pocket book, but yet, I have noticed a lot of parts are cheaper for a duece than comparable parts for other vehicles. That also depends on where or whom you get the parts from and if you do the repairs yourself or have a shop do them. Most large repairs can be avoided if you check your truck on a regular basis and if you properly maintain it. I think the Deuces are great trucks, but I think most people overlook the fact that they were beat on, sitting for long periods of time, and their age. I'm sure if you completely overhauled a truck with all new parts, you would have a very dependable truck that will have few repairs with proper maintance. I don't think most people realize how much it costs and the amount of attention these trucks require, then trying short cuts to lower cost or avoiding regular maintenance which results in something failing, then they wonder why or doubt its dependability. I know, I done it, and now I regret it. I have a blown head gasket and a melted piston, due to one broken bolt, if I would of only checked before I took off, would save lots of money, a motor, and time.