• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

K&N# E-1690 Fit?

donalloy1

Decided to spend the extra dollars for K&N# E-1690 Air Filter for my M1009. Cleaned and inspected housing before installing. All seemed to be as it should. Top cover does not seem to go all the way down and mate with bottom half of filter housing. Do not want to over tighten and squash out filter! Is it normal for there to be a gap between upper and lower housing with these filters installed? Does not seem correct.

Did not see any posts referring to this situation.

rsh4364

My 1690 fit just like stock,seemed to help bottom end torque,not sure though because I also made other mods at same time.I would not smash a nearly $60 air-filter.

Last edited:

donalloy1

Called K&N today and they asked me for Mold #'s off Filter. Will see what happens? Compared existing Fram to K&N and they look very close! Wall thickness and diameter is a little off. Must be what is not allowing Filter Housings to mate. Do I need to put my Micrometer on them K&N? More to follow. Fram back on for now. Howls like Banshee without Filter Housing mated! aua

donalloy1

So much for easy way out! K&N ran my VIN and told me that they could not match it up. The story deepens!
Now they want me to measure all dimensions of existing Fram that fits. Then go to their Website and match up dimensions off specification(s) list of E-1690 and another element. They are working with me, BUT this is not near plug and play I thought it would be! Suppose I should be thankful that I am fighting with Air Filter. Could be much worse.
Hope this is all resolved soon. Will put Micrometer on both. Call them back with findings and report back outcome.

Barrman

1985 K30 with a J code 6.2 diesel engine is what you need a filter for. I have two of my trucks with the K and N. They fit right in without issue. I don't have access to my part numbers right now though.

UNIMOG-GUY

1985 K30 with a J code 6.2 diesel engine is what you need a filter for. I have two of my trucks with the K and N. They fit right in without issue. I don't have access to my part numbers right now though.
I have 2 K&N filters in both of my '86 trucks and they fit without issues. Next time I am at the truck I'll get the info off the filter for you.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks