• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

K1 starter relay on power distribution board

D Foster

I BELIEVE I AM HAVING A PROBLEM WITH MY K1 RELAY ON MY PDB, M1078). I HAVE A FULL CHARGE ON THE BATTERIES AND WHEN GOING TO START MY PUSH BUTTON STARTER SWITCH JUST CLICKS. I WAS ABLE TO PULL THE K1 RELAY AND USED A JUMPER WIRE ON THE TWO VERTICAL PINS (NORTH/SOUTH) AND IT TURNED OVER AND STARTED. WITH THAT I THOUGHT I HAD A BAD K1 RELAY. WENT OUT THE NEXT DAY AND AGAIN ATTEMPTED TO JUMP K1 TERMINAL WITHOUT THE RELAY IN, THE STARTER/ENGINE TURNED OVER WELL BUT NOW WON'T START? MY CIRCUIT BREAKERS DO NOT LOOKED TRIPPED. IS THE K-1 RELAY 12 OR 24 VOLT? i KNOW THE STARTER WORKS OFF OF 24 VOLT BUT NOT SURE ON THE RELAY? I THOUGHT MAYBE THE START INHIBIT BUTTON BUT THAT APPEARS NOT TRIPPED (BREAKER CB79). ANY SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE APPRECIATED AND IS THE K1 RELAY A COMMON RELAY TO PURCHASE. THANKS

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
It's a 24 volt Bosch style spdt automotive style relay. You can usually swap it with another 24 volt relay on the panel that's less used. The inside of the panel cover has a diagram of what relays and breakers are what.

DanM7890

I ordered mine online. There are 4 different relay types. 12v 4 prong, 12v 5 prong, 24v 4 prong and 24v 5 prong. I would first (if you can) bench test them to see if they're working before ordering a bunch of new relays because they will add up and get expensive.

Check continuity on 30 and 87 for a 4 prong and it shouldn't beep. When you power up 85 and 86 it then should work. Note that it will not work if you connect positive and negative on the wrong side of 86 and 85 (85 is positive, 86 is negative). On a 5 prong relay test 30 to 87, and also 30 to 87a which should have continuity when no power is applied. When energized power will be from 30 to 87. Hope this helps.

Another note, clean the blades on the fuse's as well. I checked continuity on the fuse's and all were fine but it had dirty blades and never made a connection.

Last edited:

D Foster

Five Pin Relays

I completely agree as I only carry the 12v & 24v 5 prongs in my kit.
I see that you have got good replies. Suprman won't steer your wrong. He has helped me a lot. As he said the five pin ones are good and you can find them on the net. I would also make sure all your batteries are well under a load test. I had purchased four brand new batteries and within three months two had gone bad and would drop voltage when attempting to start the M1078. You need all four in good working order to make all the relays, starter solenoid to crank the engine to start. Good Luck!

dalej

It ended up being a loose connection on the spade connector. I used electric cleaner and used electric grease and all is good now. I still will get a few relays for spares, thanks guys.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks