• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

K54 Signal Corp Stake Truck

M715VFD405

OK I've been haggling with a guy on a Mutt for a while now and he's put me off for a couple months on selling so I started looking for a back up plan. I've been playing tag with a guy on some parts for my kaiser for almost a year and I finally got to talk to the friend that had the parts unfortunately he had just given the parts away. However, I just happen ask thinking if he had M715 parts what else might he have? Low and behold he's got a 1943 K54 Chevy COE 4x4 Signal Corp Stake truck. From what I understand it was used to haul antenna parts and such. They are kinda rare only 580 or so were made for the military and the 4x4 versions I haven't been able to find many of either. This is a super cool looking truck but I don't know much about them however. Have any of you ran across these type of trucks before? My plans if I get it would be as a MV hauler. Can these trucks do at least 55 to 60mph? Would the frame be able to hold/carrying my M715 and maybe the Mutt if that pans out? I'd be doing some mods to the bed of course adding prolly some type of roll back wrecker type apparatus onto it or a ramp of some sort, not sure yet because I haven't seen it in person. Anything you guys can help me out with would be great. Thanks!!!

Here are a few pics I've found of what they look like.

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have seen Chevy COE car haulers at many car shows. Trust me, the ones at the car shows are NOT restorations. They use the vintage cab, and a newer frame, newer engine, newer brakes, newer axles, etc. It's the only way you're going to get 60mph and any degree of safety and performance out of the truck.

My opinion - if you buy it - is that if the truck is very complete, restore it to original condition or find someone willing to do that. But if you like the look enough to want it as a car hauler, you are going to be buying two trucks: this one for the cab only, and a more modern rig that you can use the rest to build your dream car hauler.

M715VFD405

I was afraid that was going to be how it would go heck I might keep it stock and still use it as a car hauler lol. Who needs to go more then 45? The price it very reasonable so either way I go it won't be a bad investment.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not sure about the chevy's , but the data tag in my friends International H-542-11 year 1945 , shows at maximum speed of 38 MPH .

M715VFD405

Ok so what would be the hold back point of going highway speeds? Engine, trans transfer case or axles? or a combo? Or should I just find a frito lay truck and mount up the cab and destroy more of the MV in this truck? I know some GM rolling chassis will swap out without mods or much of it but I'd like to keep it as close to stock as I can without destroying it. While mods will be done I'd like to try and be gentle as I can. If I just wanted a COE cab on a modern chassis I wouldn't need to get a military cab there is a guy with a civy one here in town I could get and not destroy the K54 at all so I guess the question is what would you do in my shoes? You want to keep as close to military stock as possible but still get over 50mph at the very least for safety sake carrying at least a 6000lbs M715? Keep in mind that there were only around 580 of these built for military use almost 70 years ago so I'll bet there are only a handful out there now. So should I mod? How would you mod? Or should I leave well enough alone and leave it like it is and live with going with the speeds it was intended for? Thanks for all the help and advice. :beer:

saddamsnightmare

October 24th, 2012.

Unless its got a two speed rear end, doubtfull on a military spec truck, 45 will be about all you might hope for, as that was the normal road speed back then.And, if it has the stovebolt six in it, be aware that a couple of RPMs above the balancing speed, it will take itself apart quicker then even a Multifuel. On the 1950's Chevrolet cars that had it, 66 was possible, 67-68 MPH and the engine self destructed instantly. The engine is a 1928 design, even more limited then the Ford Model A due to the sensitivity to high RPMs.:shock:
I guess there is one M715 on here whose owner hasn't figured out its limitations as to speed, and it was a pretty darn good truck. I would personally take a stock M715 over a stock M37 anyday.

And as to speed, I do drive a Unimog on several hundred mile trips, you just do 35-45 on the two lanes and see the scenery. If you can't handle that, get a M1009.....
On the M54, its the engine, transmission, transfer case, and axles that are the limiters, plus the brakes are not designed for modern speeds. Either respect the truck and leave it as is, or direct someone on here to it who will respect it. TOO MANY historical vehicles are lost to ignoramuses who figure it is cool to chop, drop, remotor and abuse the historic iron. My opinion, but I have seen to many good trucks destroyed by modern fools....

If you want an MV hauler find a 1980's or 1990's truck built for the duty, as the old iron just won't stroke your need for speed.:(

Last edited:

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would get the truck, fix it up a bit, and sell it. If it is as rare as you say, it shouldn't be getting chopped up as a car hauler. But, it can help finance a truck that will do the job. Sell this one, and buy a cab out of junk yard off an other COE, and get a frito truck as you have said.

That would be what I would do.

nattieleather

I would get the truck and restore it. I've been in this hobby just about 30 years and I've never seen one in person and I've been to a few events in that time period.....that being said I agree with MD in that if it is beyond restoration then maybe a modified call hauler might work. But if you go car hauler keep the GI look if possible.

135gmc

Using one as a car hauler would add new meaning to "Wanting to get there in the worst way possible..." If you're hauling a car, the last thing you want to do is to repair the hauler on the road. If you restore it, plan on trips fairly close to town instead of driving cross-country. At 45 MPH, it will sound like its spooling up for takeoff - I think you'll cruise closer to 30 - 35 MPH. It will always be more interesting than it will be useful.

M715VFD405

Well if there is no way to get this thing up to speed without destroying it then I'll just have to leave it as it is I might want to add to the bed (ramp of some sort) so it will do what I want but I don't wanna go cut it up and I'd rather not just use the cab on a different chassis. Like I said I could do that with the cab in the last pic, its of the one here in town and not a K54. I was just hoping I could get away with swapping out a component and getting it a bit faster so I could get on the interstate without to much hassle. I don't have to go faster, running a stock M715 as a daily driver I'm use to going slow. If I don't get this truck I'll be giving the contact info out after getting permission from the owner but I think it would be a great addition to my fleet and I'll tell you now that the price tag on this thing is better then scrap so I feel comfortable getting it and making it pretty again. :beer:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks