• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Kaiser jeep or Am General

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
From what I've heard 70 through 73 was a jumble. I've seen some 71 models tagged Am General, but my 72 m109 is tagged Kaiser. Little bit of cross badging.

FreightTrain

Banned
My 1971 M35A2 has

General Products Division
Jeep Corporation

on the dash plate....which is currently sitting on my desk.I want a brand new one since the black is now a very very very faint Yellowish brown color and you have to hold the plate at the right angle to see the light on the edges of the faded paint to see anything.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
70 had both General Products Division and Kaiser Jeep I believe. Some of the GPD may have drifted into 71 but AM General took over badging in 71 and remained the duration of production. 69 back to around 62 or 63 was all Kaiser Jeep.

Towerguy1

The 1971 M35A2 Should be an AM General. The tag will also make mention of Division of Jeep Corperation. It could have faded away its not part of the embedded info on the plate.

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
From my recent MVM article "In February 1970, Kaiser-Jeep was purchased by American Motors Corporation. On March 26, 1970, Kaiser-Jeep became the Jeep Corporation. The South Bend facilities were part of the General Products Division. Just over a year later, on March 31, 1971, the General Products Division of the Jeep Corporation spun off and became AM General, a wholly owned subsidiary of American Motors."

If you can provide the Army registration number (hood, or USA number), I can probably tell you if it was General Products Division or AM General.

Best wishes,
David Doyle

derby

David Doyle has confirmed it is General Products Division.Thank's David! Now my next Question what am I going to run into when I go to get my SF 97 and title?

jasonjc

My '71 says REO on the dash :? I think some boady put a old plate on. The tag on the bed says gen pro div jeep and has the funny AMC logo

dozer1

Old thread here folks but it asks the question that I have at this time. I have 2 1971 deuces that GL called Kaiser Jeeps. One of them has the AM GENERAL logo with jeep written below it. The other deuce doesnt have anything in the manufactured by slot. What do I call em when I try to get the SF97? More info about these deuces can be seen on the 2010 vin info thread towards the end..dozer

nhdiesel

How about a '62? Mine came without a data plate, and i want the correct info for when I order a plate...and to settle my curiosity.

Jim

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
Dozer and nhdiesel - send me a message with your sn from the frame, and I can more than likely tell you the mfr.

Dozer - was the ID by GL on the front page of the listing, or on the specific item listing? I've noticed sometimes the descriptions are different, and the specific item listing tends to be right, whereas the tabular listing is sometimes not.

Best wishes,
David Doyle

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When you get the SF-97, you get to specify what manufacturer it says. When you go to register it, it is much easier on the title clerks to have either "Kaiser" or "AMC" or "Jeep" because those are in their system. "AM General" is not, nor is "General Products Division of AMC" - both will probably be converted to AMC. That is why I have an AMC Pickup, model M35A2 registered with the DMV.

Preacherboy

My truck has no year of manufacture on its data plate. Carnac said my truck was a 1952, so originally it must have been a gasser. Someone else told me it had a gasser dash, so that confirmed to me that it probably was a 1952. When I filled out my SF97 I just filled it out as a 1952 Studabaker truck. That is what I told my insurance company too.

I had no idea that one could fill out an SF97 anyway they wanted.

dozer1

I am glad I hit this thread with the defibrillator. Many useful post to guide me in the right direction. This is what make SS a great community to belong too.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks