• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Kansas Rocks for Surplus Vehicles

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was just showing everyone that Kansas is a state that recognizes surplus vehicles can be legal on the road. They passed a law in 2021 for this.
At the DMV the girl had to grab a cheat sheet they have for this to get thing’s entered into the system but as my pic shows, it’s a done deal.
Is it fully legal or are there restrictions?

aconway

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is it fully legal or are there restrictions?
Here is the info :
MILITARY SURPLUS VEHICLE REGISTRATION SIGNED INTO LAW
Success in Kansas! SAN-supported legislation (H.B. 2014) to allow for the registration and on-road use of surplus military vehicles was signed into law by Governor Laura Kelly. The new law allows for the registration and road use of “military surplus vehicles”, which is defined as a vehicle with three axles, is less than 35 years old and was manufactured for use by the U.S. military; or any country that was a member of NATO at the time the vehicle was manufactured.

The new law also allows military surplus vehicles to be issued special interest license plates displaying a decal that identifies them as military surplus vehicles. The new law is expected to go into effect on July 1.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Actually it is three axles or less.
The only restrictions I see are no payload over 500lb, no passengers for hire and the owner must have a "regular" vehicle registered.
And the vehicle must be 35 years old or less so some HMMWVs would not qualify.
So no 404 Unimogs(n)
I can only assume without farther research that 35 years is the threshold for antique vehicle registration in Kansas.

Attachments

Last edited:

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is good news, I've been living in Kansas for several years and haven't heard of this. 35 years old or less is peculiar, must be due to vehicles older than 35 years being covered under an antique vehicles law.

Hopefully there isn't a crippling tax like with normal vehicles. I've been an Alaska resident for 16 years and have been spoiled by their tax-free ways. Unfortunately I'll have to give that up and register in Kansas before too long. :(

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Actually it is three axles or less.
The only restrictions I see are no payload over 500lb, no passengers for hire and the owner must have a "regular" vehicle registered.
And the vehicle must be 35 years old or less so some HMMWVs would not qualify.
So no 404 Unimogs(n)
I can only assume without farther research that 35 years is the threshold for antique vehicle registration in Kansas.
I wonder if HEMTTs were deliberately excluded or if that was an unintended consequence.

aconway

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is good news, I've been living in Kansas for several years and haven't heard of this. 35 years old or less is peculiar, must be due to vehicles older than 35 years being covered under an antique vehicles law.

Hopefully there isn't a crippling tax like with normal vehicles. I've been an Alaska resident for 16 years and have been spoiled by their tax-free ways. Unfortunately I'll have to give that up and register in Kansas before too long. :(
I need to look back on the law that was passed, but I was thinking the plate cost is very minimal per year... like $26 bucks or something.
I grew up in Kansas then moved away, only to return in 2021... but I am happy to have mine legal for the roads.

Yup... $26 annual fee

HOUSE BILL No. 2014 if you're interested. :)

Last edited:

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I need to look back on the law that was passed, but I was thinking the plate cost is very minimal per year... like $26 bucks or something.
I grew up in Kansas then moved away, only to return in 2021... but I am happy to have mine legal for the roads.

I may be wrong, possibly a one time fee. look up:

HOUSE BILL No. 2014 if you're interested. :)
I posted the bill in #7 above.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Better than nothing, I suppose.
This probably sounds more negative than I meant it to.
I was just thinking that of the multiple vehicles I own, all but my two M931s are older than 1988, so under this law as presented above, the 931s are seemingly the only vehicles I could drive in Kansas, and in 3 years I'd have to park them as well.

Cheers

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks