• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Kat's Ether Kit. This could be fun!

AceHigh

So I went on Amazon and ordered a ether kit. About $54.00 for the 24 volt model. I don't have my camera today, but here are the install instructions:

http://fivestarmanufacturing.com/ge...llation_Instructions_for_Push_Button_Series(F

Now, my 1971 has the manifold heater, but it does not work. The A3 has the ether and I love it.

I probably won't get to this for a while, too cold for a senior citizen. :evil:

I will try to post the factory pic, no camera right now. Questions. Is this do-able? Keep both systems? (I am leaning to just ether). Any issues? It has several nozzles, but it looks like the deuce gets the largest one.

Attachments

4x4e350

Disconnect all possible ignition sources for the ether, before it gets were it's suppose to be. I'm assuming the either is injected into the intake, you don't want it igniting in the manifold, so I would disconnect the manifold heating element.
That's the way ether has gotten it's bad reputation, by folks trying to spray ether, and the glow plugs or spark plug is still operational. 2cents

Last edited:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
how about posting kit number and other info for those who went to order the kit, I like the idea for my 250 rather then fooling with the spark and manifold heater (my igniter is not even hooked up)

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
these are money well spent we have used on our hevey equipment for years no need for 2 people when trying to start somrthing when its below zero as seems the air intake is always just out of reach from being able to spay and crank at the same time 2cents

Josh

The either injection on my truck doesnt seem to work. Gota fix it soon. But on cold days Ill take off the mushroom, sit in the passenger seat and spray some either into the intake while cranking it. Quite a funny thing to see but it works good.

Takes a good bit of aim, and dont accidently spray the exaust. Didnt know either would hang around but it managed to light the outside of my exaust on fire after the truck warmed up a little. On the bright side though, it only flamed for about 3 seconds but it was still a shock to see.

ctmustang

My ether canister ran out last year so I would spray ether in the mushroom and walk around and get in deuce and hit the switch and off she went. No need to pull mushroom just spray in the mushroom.
CT

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You should not spray ether, without the engine turning over.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just did a general search for "ether kit" , there was 75 results.

While looking over a few, I noticed this post. I suggest you remove the flame heater components so that you never make a mistake like his.

Buggyman, nice unit you put on. I put a manual system on a M35A2 I used to own. I made a big mistake by not disconnecting the intake heater. I gave it a blast of ether and accidently hit the manifold heater switch. My wife thought the garage blew up the BOOM was so loud. After I sorted myself out I found 12 bent push rods.
I am pretty sure a few people had posted kit numbers before. That's what I was looking for, but now my touchpad need tweeking.

AceHigh

Doghead, I searched and searched, but failed to find the specifics I needed, so I typed in "cold ether kit" in the googles, still not where I wanted to be. Then I noticed Amazon had some listings. This thing looks very like the one on the A3. It has a thermostat that is to be bolted on the engine and disables it over 50 degrees.

Amazon also quoted me the long delay in shipping, but it actually only took a week.

Thanks for the replies, I will be disabling the intake heater permanently. Perhaps I can utilize the existing wiring. :!:

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have installed a few military ether kits. Somewhere I think I posted the Drawing with a schematic, for the kits. They use the flame heater switch and provide a new faceplate with instructions for the ether kit(put in the same place as the flame heater plate).

It uses some of the original flame heater wiring also,iirc.

I'll try to get back to the search results and see if I can find some more useful info.

If anyone else searches, I remember Reddevilsdude(sp?) bought a kit from the company(KAT).

AceHigh

Thanks! They sent a crappy stick on paper data plate, but I am betting I can do better than that. Great info.

Now I am going back for my visit to the toilet, Seems I have had to sit on it every 15 minutes all day long. I hate winter, I hate being sick. I hate being sick in winter! I wanna :driver:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks