• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

KE5AFU's M36A2 Camper/RV Build

someoldmoose

Cool. The 109 was my initial thought but I am planning to live in mine full time and I found a very nice M820. More space for an old man to ramble around in at night.

Last edited:

Champ173rd

Cool. The 109 was my initial thought but I am planning to live in mine full time and I found a very nice M820. More space for an old man to ramble around in at night.
Can't wait to see what you do to it! I love pulling ideas from others and tweaking them to my taste or what better serves me. Is there a certain site to go to? To get parted out stuff from campers? seems like a good way to go for stuff for these to save time, ect..

KE5AFU

R.O. Unit came from auction site, was billed as not working so no one bid on it. Turns out the GFI had been tripped... I saw some decent looking units with UV on a popular auction side about $200. Looked like under the counter coupled with charcoal and UV.

Sorry for glomming ideas from you Deucers (name is meant to be complimentary) since mine will be the Big Sister version. (M820 expando van) Please forgive the intrusion.
KE5AFU, where did you source your water cleaner ? I am going to and fro between a $5,000 Katydin at the high end and a $200 Home De under sink version at the low. I also will be adding a UV sterilizer. (Trust no unknown water source).
Your punch list looks a lot like mine.

someoldmoose

Wow ! Will hafta keep eyes open. As for camper parts . . . I am building all ( well most ) of mine. Going for house quality, just able to climb 60 percent grades.

KE5AFU

Well I went out this weekend to a friends land to find a tree. The plan is to create a live edge counter with cabinets that follow the contours of the live edge counter.

The requirements are: must be a hardwood, must be at least 24" in diameter, can't be rotten or hollowed out, and it must have already fallen naturally. (The friends dad won't let anyone cut a live tree)

Talking with the local sawmill, they said finding something like that in Oklahoma would be akin to winning the lottery.

We went out and found not one, but three contenders.

The winner is a white oak that is over 4' at the base, and has a 24" branch and a 16" branch. It fell in 90+ MPH winds a few weeks ago and has zero rot. We also found a sycamore that is over 24" in diameter and 60 feet long, but it's not as curvy as the oak.

Now I've got to figure out how to get them loaded, but really looking forward to the challenge of building everything from scratch.

20170609_181832.jpg20170609_181835.jpg20170609_183452.jpg20170609_183536.jpg20170609_183554.jpg20170609_185455.jpg20170609_185625.jpg

KE5AFU

Picked up 550 gallons of brand new sunflower oil today that was being given away for free. I've read on here that the exhaust smells much different when burning it, will be interesting to see how she runs. The stuff looks perfect, but I'm going to run it through a filter and water separator just in case.

20170615_095309.jpg

Mos68x

Interesting, I might pull ideas from you on mine. Yours will be a bit smaller but that's ok, I need room for my Harley too.

KE5AFU

Got the front shocks upgraded today, the old ones were shot. I went with the Monroe 34787, but had some issues with the bushings being too thick to start the nut. I put them in a lathe and shaved them down until they fit. (About .100 removed) It was a tad harrowing to have that much weight supported via wood and a single jack stand, but everything seemed solid enough.

Tomorrow I head to the scrap yard to scrounge for parts and build a chainsaw mill for next weekend.

20170616_184343.jpg20170616_185818.jpg20170616_190854.jpg20170616_190843.jpg20170616_194113.jpg20170616_194352.jpg20170616_194358.jpg

someoldmoose

Organic fuel ! ! ! ! Yeah, buddy ! ! That's the long term plan for Exit Strategy too. In the plans to buy an actual "reformer". Salty, at about $9K but figure payback won't be that far off if I can "make" fuel for 80 CENTS a gallon (current projections). If it's "virgin" it'll smell just like when ya heat it in a pan. Only potential issue is temperature. It probably start gel around 40 degrees F or so. (near freezing - and I KNOW it gets that cold in OKC. Not huge, just don't go over about 30 % veg. mixed with pump D. Play with it by putting some in a jar and watching the temp while it's in a freezer.

I can't wait to get oil from taquerias and such in Mayheeko ! Should smell AWESOME ! ! ! ArrrrrEEEEEbaaaaa!

Last edited:

Mos68x

Try one that's 75/25 WVO and gas too, see if/when that gels. I'd like to go WVO too, but I've already got a TODO list as long as Santa's naughty list lol

someoldmoose

Yessir, those new damp'ners will make her ride like . . . well, a Deuce with new shocks. That's better than one with old ones. The steering wheel should be a lot calmer anyway. Nice work with the grinder too. Perfectly normal and acceptable in my shop.

Last edited:

someoldmoose

Affirmative on that X-ray. The "Plant plant" is deep into phase 2. Am gonna use a centrifuge until I afford glycerin removal. That and pour point juice should handle MOST of the year in PA. In MX, probably won't matter, but I plan to "commercialize". The machine makes ASTM quality.

Mos68x

Oh lord! We're gettin off-topic, best hold our horses before some admin gets some thorns and decides to rustle us up lol

Have you figured out what you think you might weigh in the end KE5AFU? Think you'll stick with the stock rear springs or beef up some? By the time I'm done with my build I'm guessing I'll be close to 30-40k on just the truck, so I'm planning to swap out the rear spring packs eventually.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks